Secu16IR Whole house A/V control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secu16IR Whole house A/V control

The Ocelot can learn around 1024 different IR codes and store them in its memory. What you see in Homeseer's IR configuration for device 1 is the first 36 locations, device 2 37-72 etc.

With the Secu16IR, you can send any of those 1024 codes to any zone. You just need to learn all the codes for all the different units you have. If you have a Sony DVD player of the same model and make in each room, you only need to learn the code once for that model. You then can send codes to operate the DVD in any room by sending them via a SECU16IR zone output.

The standard IR interface within Homeseer is limited but quite easy with a bit of scripting to control the output to the zones and what IR codes are sent.

Your first step then is to make a list of all the equipment you need to learn. Next under IR configuration, start with device 1 and re-name it to something like Sony DVD. Learn all the necessary codes in that device. Repeat this again with device 2 for your second item etc
    Jon

Comment

can you provide a sample HS command to send an Ir command to a zone using the Secu16ir?

Comment

I use Homeseer's ability to talk with the Ocelot directly.

The Command is cpuxa.PlayRemoteIR. Here is an example via a script:
        PHP Code:
        sub main()
        cpuxa.PlayRemoteIR 1,7,101
        end sub 
        The 1 is the unit number of the SECUIR i.e. if you had two SECU16IR units, this could be 1 or 2
        The 7 is the zone you want to send the IR to (0-9)
        The 101 is the location number of the IR you wish to send.

As I stated earlier, the location number is 0-35 for device 1 etc. You can easily see the location number if you put the mouse over the "L" button in the IR configuration devices.

You can send multiple sequence IR codes like this:

PHP Code:
        sub main()
        cpuxa.PlayRemoteIR 1,7,101
        cpuxa
        .PlayRemoteIR 1,7,103
        cpuxa
        .PlayRemoteIR 1,7,122
        end sub 
        This will send location 101 IR code then 103 IR code then 122 IR code to the SECU16IR zone 7
        Jon

Comment

Do note that the cpuxa object is associated with the Homseer version of the ocelot pluign. To use it with the ADIOcelot plugin you need to explicitly declare cpuxa. This is described in the ADIOcelot manual. cpuxa bypasses Homeseer and communicates directly with the plugin.

The native Homseer control for IR is with hs.SendIR. I do not recall how the SECU16IR zones are managed when using this command. It may be the case that hs.SendIR does not support multiple zones. There is an irzones.cfg file that contains relationships so I think hs.SendIR can do it.

Comment

Michael,

krh1009 posted this exact same question in the Applied Digital forum. When I went back to post, I choose the wrong forum.

krh1009,

To explain what is happening here, the Ocelot Plugin which is supplied by Homeseer will work perfectly with the codes I explained earlier. The ADIOcelot is a newer plugin which improves functionality in areas but does not off the shelf support cpuxa.PlayRemoteIR commands.

You can use hs.SendIR but you must configure the irzones.cfg if you wish to use a SECU16IR. This is not easy and IMO, the method I have described is much easier and more flexible.
            Jon

Comment

Follow-up the follow-up...

ADIOcelot supports the cpuxa command set just like Homeseer's original ocleot plugin, but the cpuxa object needs to be associated with ADIOcelot rather that HST's ocelot. What this means is that a script that uses the ADIOcelot will need something like the following included before the first use of cpuxa.

Set cpuxa = hs.GetPlugins("ADIOcelot")

Comment

Thank you both for your help. The examples helped clear things up.

One more question: I see that I can use names for device and commands in a HS event to send IR to a zone (e.g. [2]VCR, Play to send the vcr in zone 2 the play command). Is there a recomend way to do this in a script? I plan on having around 100 IR command when done. It would be nice to use names instead of numbers (cpuxa.PlayRemoteIR 1,7,122). I realize I can create conts for each command, but there is room for error if the const and the locations of the real IR codes get out of sync. My current plan is to use a case stamnet (e.g. case "vcr play": cmd = 101).

Comment

The ADIOcelot has a method cpuxa.PlayIREx (name_or_loc) that is not in the HST ocelot plugin that may be of interest to you. It does mean that you cannot go backward, but this is usually not an issue.

cpuxa.PlayIREx "TV ON" or
                  cpuxa.PlayIREx 154

ADIOcelot contains the name to zone relationships that are managed in the irzones.cfg file and irlbl.cfg file. I do not remember how I did this a few years back, but the intention was to do pretty much what you are trying to do. Play with it a little to see if you can make any sense out of it. I do not have zoned IR so testing is not possible at this end.

Comment

I found the PlayIRex coomand just after posting my message. This is VERY close to what I need. The only thing that is missing with this command is the abilty to send the the IR to a given zone. It appears the command will use the zone given in the IR/Config screen (i.e. this is a static binding between devices and zones). I would need this command to take to arguments, a zone number and a "device label" string (e.g. PlayIREx 2 "TV on" send TV on to zone 2). The cuurent command will send the IR to whatever zone is assigned to TV in the IR/Config file. Any chance of getting an update?

Comment

Give this attachment a try

Public Function PlayZonedIR(iZone As Variant, NameOrLoc As Variant) As Integer

Zone 0 is treated as the ocelot, Others are the SECU16IR for purpose of this method. NameOrLoc is treated as a name if there is a space otherwise as a numbered location.
                      Last edited by Michael McSharry; July 2nd, 2005, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Great! Thank you. I'll give this a try.

Comment

This worked just fine....thanks

One more question: on the pugin's CMAX tab, there is an option to sync HS and CMAX. I read the docs but do not unserstad how to sync. The sync button prompts you for a ".prj" file. I'm not sure how to create this file. My goal is to define IR labels in HS and transfer them into CMAX (and then into IRmax for editing the IR codes). I'm importing codes from a .ccf file and would like to be able to see labels for the locations in IRmax.

Comment

When you work with CMAX, your code for the Ocelot is stored in a .prj file. I do a few things with the CMAX code but nothing IR related. CMAX code is efficient and takes advantage of the reliability of the Ocelot/Secu units. One useful part about synching HS and CMAX is that the CMAX .prj file also allows a System Map to be created. The System Map allows all units, variables, IO points, IR labels. Using the ADIOcelot plug-in you can send that info to HS.

A few other comments.
                            • Defining zones within HS is not all that difficult. You select the device and then select a zone number. If you do this, you add a little more versatility in the method of control you can use.
                            • Entire IR files can be found for many AV devices and uploaded without the trouble of learning commands. This will take a little up front time to learn but becomes easier with practice. If interested in this method, I can provide some links.
                            Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                            My Hardware & Software

Comment

Thanks Jim.

I have found all the device IR codes I need in pronto (.ccf) format files.

I'm looking for an easy way to get them in the ocelot (and have the labels in HS). Using IRmax looks like many of cuts and pastes, one for each button. But it will get the job done. Is there a better way to do this? Are there any tools and/or procedures you would recomend?

Comment

Working...
                              X