Light sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light sensor

Can any one recommend some sort of Light senor supported by Ocelot or Temp08

I would like to measure the outside light so a know when it is time to switch on the lights

"Bobcat light sensor" or 1-wire?

Thanks,

The photodiode range for the solar sensor from hobby-boards.com does not have sufficient range for day/night sensing. I do not think the Temp08 supports it anyway. The CDS photoresistor such is used in the X10 hawkeye is typically used for this. I'm not familiar with 1-wire versions of these, but can be interfaced to the A/D input of the DS2450 or DS2438 which the Temp08 is able to read.

Comment

I use the poor mans sunlight sensor which is a temp sensor in a sealed jar. This solar senor is then read by weather display and does a really good job at sensing daylight. I use this setting to turn on lights when it's getting dark. We are currently having a thunderstorm and it's dark outside and my lights just came on.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

I'm using a BOBCAT-L

I'm using a BOBCAT-L for that very purpose. You have the option of analog output (0-255 light levels) or digital output (will return a 0 when the light level stays below the "low" threshold for 10 secs, and will return a 1 when it exceeds the "bright" threshold for 10 secs. I'm using the analog mode, because I turn on different lights at different times. Works pretty well.

Brian

Comment

Thanks,

Rupp, sorry but i'am not going with your solution.

Kamikaze, Me to need it for switching on lights att diffrent light levels.

I think a will go with bobcat-L, are you using Michael's Ocelot plug for this?

Comment

If you have an open digital input on a seu16 you can use a photocell (light sensitive resistor) as a light sensor. I think they were a couple of dollars for a pack of 5 at radio shack. Wire it as if it were a digital input (dry contact) but without the supervisory resistor. The secu16 will source 5v into what is essentially a voltage divider made up of an internal resistor and the variable resistor. Then read the input value of that point as if it were an analog input. The value you read will vary with light level- the lower the value the lighter it is. After a few days observation you can figure out what value corrsponds to the light level where you want lights on at.

I use two of these- one in the basement connected directly to the secu16 (happens to be near a basement window) and one on a secu16 in the garage to control when my lights are allowed to turn on by motion.
            jim

Comment

Yes.

Originally posted by jonas.hellgren
              Thanks,

Kamikaze, Me to need it for switching on lights att diffrent light levels.

I think a will go with bobcat-L, are you using Michael's Ocelot plug for this?
              Yes. I have the Bobcat wired to the Ocelot, which is monitored by the plugin. I have one virtual device defined for it. The program basically updates the variable (and hence the device) every 60 seconds. Every 10 minutes, a script runs. The device value is compared against the trigger level for each set of lights and, if it's below that trigger level, it turns those lights on. Had it running for about a week and a half now, and it seems to be doing pretty well.

Regards,

Brian

Comment

Working...
              X