IR question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR question

I am using mcsADIOcelot via XAP to send IR commands via my Ocelot-SECU16IR equipment. (I need to access the Ocelot via XAP because I'm also using a USBUIRT with Homeseer, and Homeseer can't deal with two IR devices; so USBUIRT is the Homeseer IR device, and I also send IR commands via XAP to mcsADIOcelot).

I am sending commands to three devices: a Scientific Atlanta cable box, a Denon Amp, and a Samsung LCD TV. I used IRMax to load hex IR codes that I got from remotecentral.com for each device into the Ocelot (so I know I have "precise" IR codes loaded as opposed to learned ones).

I'm experiencing the same problem with each of my three devices. The problem is that sometimes the IR codes sent from the Ocelot work, but other times the IR emitters seem to flash for an especially short period of time and the respective devices don't seem to recognize them.

I'm wondering what may be causing this inconsistency. Is there a setting in the Ocelot that controls the length of time an IR command is sent (i.e., is there a way to tell the Ocelot to do the equivalent of "hold down the button on the remote" a bit longer? Could there be some other problem?

It's definitely an Ocelot specific problem because I also use a Nevo remote control with a "Nevo Connect" device, and when I send the IR signals through emitters via the Nevo, it works every time.

Any ideas or pointers here?

Thanks,
    Jerny

Many of the codes from remotecentral are short, they have broken down the code to what is needed for an actually remote to store, and then the remote itself will repeat the code as long as you are holding down the button

I've ran into this problem a ton, and I've manully discected the codes enough to know that I didn't want to do it again.

So I wrote a program that does just that, it gets codes from remote central, and lets you add repeats to the codes, save it as an LIR file and upload it to your ocelot.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=127055 this topic refers to the same problem you are having.

I've posted that program I wrote here
    http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...95&postcount=5

Let me know if that helps your situation.
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

oh, by the way most SONY devices need 3 or more repeats. It might take some experimentation, my projector sometimes still doesn't see the first 3, so I made it 5 or 6 and it works great.
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
        Many of the codes from remotecentral are short, they have broken down the code to what is needed for an actually remote to store, and then the remote itself will repeat the code as long as you are holding down the button

I've ran into this problem a ton, and I've manully discected the codes enough to know that I didn't want to do it again.

So I wrote a program that does just that, it gets codes from remote central, and lets you add repeats to the codes, save it as an LIR file and upload it to your ocelot.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=127055 this topic refers to the same problem you are having.

I've posted that program I wrote here
        http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...95&postcount=5

Let me know if that helps your situation.
        Thank you! The tools is great. It solved my problems with my Samsung LCD TV and with my Denon Amp. Strangely, no matter how many repeats I do, it still doesn't always work with my Scientific Atlanta Cable Box (it's an Explorer 8100). So, for that, I am using the USB-UIRT to send a manually learned IR signal, and it works great. I do still wonder why the Ocelot cannot consistently operate the Sci Atlanta box, though. Kinda annoying, but oh well.

Comment

Have you tried "learning" the codes on the ocelot for the device you are having problems with?
          Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Have you tried "learning" the codes on the ocelot for the device you are having problems with?
            Yes, I thought of that idea last night. I believe the Scientific Atlanta IR codes are in the 58khz frequency, so I learned the power button with the Ocelot. The CMAX 'log' window said "IR Learned" but when I transmitted that IR to my cable box, it didn't work at all. The code I downloaded off of remotecentral.com works sometimes, but I wasn't able to get the learned code to work at all.

Are their tips/pointers on how to properly learn codes with the Ocelot that I should be aware of?

Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated.

Comment

Unless something has changed I do not think the Ocelot can learn these Scientific Atlanta codes.
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

There was a weird trick to learning codes for a few devices I had problems with once.

I know this sounds strange, but I didn't think of it, and I didn't think it would actually work.

This may not be the case for you, but it might help someone else who is having learning problems.

Take a piece of toilet paper and cover the IR end of your remote with a single sheet, this tones down some of the IR so it's not as strong, it sounds really weird, but it has worked for me a few times when I was having problems.
                Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Take a piece of toilet paper and cover the IR end of your remote with a single sheet, this tones down some of the IR so it's not as strong, it sounds really weird, but it has worked for me a few times when I was having problems.
                  I love it! That's what I call a "crappy" technique. But at this point I'll try anything! I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X