Michael

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael

Maybe I'm a little different but I hate to have to install a plugin to see if it meets my needs. Is there anyway you could post maybe a sales brochure (ha-ha), a document with screen shots of each of the tabs along with a bit of description of the major functionality of each.

-Rupp
    -Rupp
    sigpic

What the plugin does now is nothing compared to it's future final, evolved form. Michael's been making major improvements as the days go by, and the discussion is pointing to som pretty impressive stuff.

--Bill

Comment

Thats the point. I don't want to set and read hundreds of posts just to MAYBE glean what the interface looks like and how it is used. Most of the post are NORMALLY about problems and frankly I do not want to read 99 out of 100 posts about problems just to decided to try a plugin. There should be a link on each of the plugin threads that has screen shots of the plugin and at least a bit of explanation on how it works. I would certainly think it would help advertise the plugin.

-Rupp
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Rupp,
        Most of those working with me now are users of Versions 2 (and 1) and have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It is a significant upgrade from earlier efforts which essentially addresses the need to collect sensor data, graphically display it, trigger events based upon it, and include it as part of a weather-related display.

Shortly after its introduction there were many positive suggestions which pointed to some limitations on how the software was internally structured and how complex the setup had become. During the past few weeks I rewrote these aspects of the plugin and we as a community are working through the transition.

I've been very lucky to have such a diverse group of users willing to take their time to help during this early period. Much of what has changed is how the user interacts with their hardware. Since I had no hardware to work with during this time the progress that has been made is largely due to how everyone has pitched in.

When the baby is ready to come out, the invitations will be delivered.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Michael

-Rupp
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

If it lives up to the potential I see in the work done so far, I think you will want to go far beyond "Temperature" as a name. You are interfacing with multiple data sources to collect and display many weather-related and in-home-environment-related parameters, and even toying with relay control and other features of the Temp05 hardware. This thing could end up as a complete weather station plus multi-zone thermostat system. Eventually, you might be able to cross-connect with DooMotion and create an automated energy-management system.

--Bill

Comment

I totally agree.

I'm already using it to plot rain and wind trends. But also intend to use it to trigger the furnace and the A/C and well as stopping the fountain when the wind get up.

Trouble is, the difficulty in renaming a product seems to be an exponential function taken from the product release date

Comment

Geoff Epstein pointed out that I will need to change the plugin's name if I want to change it from a single .exe to an .ocx and supporting .exe. I believe the data collection running on one or more computers, totally independent of homeseer provides the best performance while an .ocx that runs in homeseer's thread will provide the setup gui functions and a (hopefully) faster web page delivery.

I'm open to suggestions for an appropriate plugin name.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> difficulty in renaming a product seems to be an exponential function taken from the product release date <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                  You just start over with V.1.0.0 and a new name...

mcs: How about "Omnibus"? Or mcsEnvironment?

--Bill

Comment

Naw - just call it MCS - Monitoring and Control System!

Comment

Working...
                    X