Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSNBC weather data.

Mike,

a question. I'm only seeing one, maybe two updates to the database from MSNBC each day. I expected approxiamtely an hourly posting based on my understanding of the documentation. Currently, setup is on 15 min interval for test purposes.

Also, I don't see an entry in the Homeseer log when a retrival is made. Should I?

Thanks

Dennis
    Not too old to learn

If you enable the Special Debug Log checkbox then each time MSNBC is queried the returened data is appended onto GetWeather.txt in the homeseer directory. With this we can see if MSNBC is not updating or the plugin is not recognizing it.

Others have reported problems, but I do not think to the degree of only a few updates per day. A feature request was submitted to use an alternative site and I'm willing to put it in, but I want to use an existing script that parses the data and a little help/orientation by someone who is familiar with the script.

Comment

Will do and send your the results tomorrow.

Thanks

Dennis
      Not too old to learn

Comment

Mike,

Attached is my getweather.txt file for the last 26 hours. What I see is:

started @ 6/8/03 6:34 PM forcast date was 6/8/03 15.55. 1st recorded change in forcast 6/9/03@6:35Am. This was followed by another quick update on 6/9/03@ 6:58 AM. Then no more updates from MSNBC until 6/9/03 @ 8:26pm... 13 1/2 hours later!

Dennis
        Not too old to learn

Comment

I see 4pm, 4am, 5am, 6am, 6pm in your data so it looks as if the plugin is doing what it is charted to do.

During the last 24 hours I have 24 updates. Maybe you are too far from the Microsoft campus and weather updates are not a priority. Or is it that the weather never changes in your area so no need to update more than once for the AM and once for the PM. Summer weather out here is excellent use ACCID of WA55 and it should give you pleasing results.

One suggestion is to try an larger city nearby and see it their data is updated more frequently. The other is to put an alternate parser in the plugin if anyone familiar with one is willing to work with me.

Comment

Thanks Michael. It never occured to me that different sites in the DC area would have different reporting cycles. I'll look into other stations in the area.

Writing scripts and such is beyond me so I can't assist in parsing a new site. However, I'd be willing to help test if needed.

Dennis
            Not too old to learn

Comment

Working...
            X