mcsTemperature Event Actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsTemperature Event Actions

I included Event Actions as part of the Control System enhancements to mcsTemperature. The concept of the event action is to be able to control both the on and off actions of a controlled device.

I found that I usually had to have two events to perform the desired function or vector the logic into a script and then that logic became hidden from the Web or GUI views.

As currently architected, the control of up to three devices can be initiated by a event trigger. The control actions can last for the duration of the event; they can last for one on-off / off-on cycle; or they can persist indefinitely until the controlled device is changed outside of the automatic control by the plugin.

The control of these devices can also be conditioned on other devices. These apply at the time of the trigger as well as during periods of automatic control. They can be used for manual override of the automatic control or as part of the criteria for the automatic control. The attached screen shot shows these conditional devices at the top of the page with three available for the turn-on and three available for the turn-off.

The on/off conditions are upper or lower limits as well as device on/off status. The limits can be fixed values or virtual devices to provide dynamic control limits. This is just like the corresponding Temperature Control Trigger.

I've pretty much completed my testing of this capability and I will include it in an upcomming release. Before this I would not mind getting some usability/capability comments based upon this seed I'm planting.
    Attached Files

Looks pretty nice. I like the idea of consolidating complete cycles.

I may not see the possibility in there but

- it would be nice to have max limits that could have an action associated in case a shutdown and/or notification has to be issued. Since this could control HVAC stuff, it would be good to have a way to watch/catch failures. For example, if your actions were based on a living room temp sensor, you could have a second temp sensor somewhere that would be a double check in case the first sensor failed.

- it would be nice to have some way to initialize devices to the correct state if HS where to be shutdown and restarted by a watchdog. Maybe a script could be identified so that a set of actions can take place.

Nice idea here MCS!

You'll probably have this done before RCS puts that TR 40 thermostat out anyway......

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    The REAL Pledge of Allegiance

Comment

The HVAC control system is much more elaborate than this basic device action capability and that is where you will find the safety considerations addressed. I did much of this in the Winter, but refocused as the heating needs came to an end this season and A/C is not a consideration here.

Even without this the HVAC control, I believe that your safety concerns can be addressed with the existing Device action. There area three devices that are being controlled. The same device can be controlled twice. One with operational limits and one with safety limits.

Note also that a controlled device can also be used as the conditional device. For example the safety device being off could be a condition for the control loop turning on, so once turned off with the safety it would not be turned on again until the safety condition is reset.

I did pick up on your second comment about the restart. I had not considered the situation where an automatic control was active at the time homeseer shuts down. I suspect part of the plugin shutdown should be to save the state of the control loops it is managing and then restart them after initialization.

While this is what I thought as I was reading your feedback, I actually do not think this is what you meant and a little expansion of your thoughts is needed.

Homeseer will restore all of its devices and will send SET IO commands for each plugin device at startup so the device states should all be restored if the plugin does respond to the initialization request. I never paid that much attention to it so I'm not certain what mcsTemperature does. I need to take a look.

[This message was edited by Michael McSharry on Sat, 31 May 2003 at 01:45 AM.]

Comment

I see how you would address the first point. That sounds fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I did pick up on your second comment about the restart. I had not considered the situation where an automatic control was active at the time homeseer shuts down. I suspect part of the plugin shutdown should be to save the state of the control loops it is managing and then restart them after initialization.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you were ahead of me on this point. I did not think of a normal shutdown. This is important as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While this is what I thought as I was reading your feedback, I actually do not think this is what you meant and a little expansion of your thoughts is needed.

Homeseer will restore all of its devices and will send SET IO commands for each plugin device at startup so the device states should all be restored if the plugin does respond to the initialization request. I never paid that much attention to it so I'm not certain what mcsTemperature does. I need to take a look.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of complete lockups of the machine where my Ocelot watchdog would reset the machine (via relay closing the reset switch). As long as HS gets everything back in sync via its request, this may not be a big issue.

I would like to see that the data collection (and potentially control via DS2405s), would be reliable enough to deploy GenevaDude's thermostat plugin for the TR40 (when it eventually is ready).

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
        The REAL Pledge of Allegiance

Comment

Michael,

As you have guessed by now I'm not as advanced in these things as a lot of you. But the event cycle control fits nicely into a need I have for controlling some ceiling fans based on temp and humidity limits as well as outside conditions.

In my spa area (inside) I want to operate the fan to distribute most air in the winter and reduce humidity in the summer. I'd also like to stop climbing into the attic in Spring and Fall to adjust the trip temp on the attic fans.

The enhancement would definately help in these situations.

Dennis
          Not too old to learn

Comment

This was put into version 4 of mcsTemperature which is posted on the message board. I tested it when initially implemented, but do not have anything currently running using it so some real application should be useful.

Comment

Working...
            X