Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amateur Radio APRS connection

MCS

Amateur APRS is an network of radios that give the GPS location of the transmitting station, Also on this network you can transmitt weather info, limited as such.

I am starting research on this, I hope to be able to define the exact info and format to you soon. But the $100.00 question for me at this time. Could the information from the Database be "polled" at certain times and the data sent out a serial port.

I would like to have my local one-wire equipment report into your plug-in and then out put it every x min.

Do you have any comments on this.

Thanks for your input.

Should be pretty easy to do once the format of transmitted data is known. Let me see the format, and any other requirements associated with it and we can get it done.

Comment

I have been looking at APRS for a couple of weeks now. What I was thinking was putting an APRS transmitter in the car and communicating my position to my PC (when car is on- I guess it would be safe to assume it didn't move if the power was off). This would then allow me to know if I am home, at work, or on vacation (at airport).

So I just got a HAM radio book and am going to take the technician test on Saturday morning if I can get my lazy butt out of bed. I should be able to get a couple of hours of studying in by then :-) I hope this thing isn't hard.

Wish me luck!
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Good luck, wpiman. Let us know how hard the studying and the test are. I've been interested in APRS for a couple of years, now, but haven't done anything about it, yet. What's the cheapest one could get a car/home setup? Looks like fun!

--David

Comment

As David said, Good Luck.

APRS is one of those things I was "going to do when I get some time." It looks like I will have to investigate it a little.

As for the cost, one would need:

Home:
          Radio
          TNC - Terminal Node Controller - The interface
          from the radio and GPS to the computer.

Car:
          Radio, TNC, GPS

Any other amateur radio operators out there? Am I missing something?

I would GUESS all that could be had for $250-$300.

Jeff

Comment

Check out what this guy did....

http://shark.dls.net/~jmeehan/balloon/
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

There are two formats implemented in the plugin. One is positionless so you should not need GPS to get started.

Comment

Working...
              X