Sprinkler Valve Control Device Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprinkler Valve Control Device Recommendation

I currently have a Hunter 8 zone control Box running my sprinkler system. To my knowledge it doesn't have a way of interfacing to Homseer. Any recommendations on what to use to control the valves under homeseer?

Dennis
    Not too old to learn

If you are happy with all zones being watered with a fixed interval defined by your controller and you want all zones to be watered when any zone is watered, then I would put an appliance module on the 24V transformer and turn them on and off using it. That is what I did last year.

I'm happy with the Rain8 (keyword web search will get you their contact info) from the same folks that are selling the MR26A replacement. They appear to be a small outfit in a niche market and it is nice to support companies of that nature. Customer service appears to be good as well.

It appears the Rain8 is a little microcontroller with a transistor drive on each of the valve wires. It will let you control one at a time per 8-zone controller. It is configured via the serial port and that is where you specify the safety interval for each zone and the X10 house code as well as some other items that are more oriented to stand-alone rather than homeseer-controlled operation.

From my perspective what you want to look for is something that has a programmable safety time and something where each valve can be individually controlled. The control logic is not important since that will all be with homeseer.

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into the Rain8

Dennis
      Not too old to learn

Comment

I haven't had any experience with the Rain8 (came out after I was searching) but an alternative is the RCI Automation box: RCI Sprinkler Control

I've got this set up with my Sprinkler System and it has been working well via X10 for 2-3 years (I don't remember). It has a failsafe of 80 minutes.

Steve

Comment

I installed my own system last summer and I'm using the Rain8 too. Love it.

Comment

I just installed last weekend my first X10 stuff using three Rain8s to control my sprinkler system. As I am on a well with not all that great of flow I have 22 zones on my acre lot. I also installed WGLs W800RF32A RF receiver and Homeseer 1.6. I had an existing rain sensor to disable the system which I wired in series on my common leg. Install was easy and the system works great. With the remote I can turn on and off a zone from anywhere in the yard (over 200' in some cases). Sure will help in marking heads next time I plug the yard. The equipment is good and support is great and responsive. I am putting MOVs and loacal grounding rods in my wiring to help fend off any lightning. I lost my old controller to lightning last fall but there has been so much rain here I haven't needed the system.

Comment

I would highly recommend the Rain8. Obviously you need an X10 system though.

This controller is a reliable product. I have had one for over a year now with no problems. I use the onboard memory for timings at this point. HomeSeer just triggers it and away it goes.

The only thing missing is a forum topic to discuss everything. Ideally a plug-in or script would be best.

Wayne

Comment

Working...
              X