MS SQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS SQL

What do I need to write in the field 'Use SQL with Server' in the tab 'Database'

Tony Lofgren | Kungsor | Sweden
    Windows 2000 Server, MS SQL, P4 2,6GHz 512Mb ram, TEMP05 V5.00, DS9097, 1Wire Dallas weatherstation, HS PCI Modem, Basic Stamp for I/O
    Please excuse any spelling and grammatical errors I may make.
    --
    Tasker Plugin / Speech Droid
    Tonlof | Sweden

When I was testing it I generally left the field blank to use the default one defined on the HS computer. Otherwise it is the specific name assigned to the server.

The database names do not contain a .mdb suffix so those fields also need to be changed.

SQL was asked as a feature by one user, but I received no feedback as to success/failure with it. I continue to run Access. I've tried to maintain compatibiliy as updates have occurred over the months since my initial testing but to my knowledge noone has being using SQL with it. I'm happy to work through any problems that may show up, but before trying it make ceratin that you backup your existing databases and mcsTemperature.ini file.

When I installed SQL Server to implement this feature I did not install the security updates and I acquired the virus that uploaded files from my computer. Again just a warning to intall the service packs/updates for SQL Server to protect yourself.

Comment

I don't understand how to write the Database Provider entry.

SQL String Info
      Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=myDatabaseName;User ID=myUsername;Password=myPassword

Is this the way to connect?

Best Regards
      Tony

Windows 2000 Server, MS SQL, P4 2,6GHz 512Mb ram, TEMP05 V5.00, DS9097, 1Wire Dallas weatherstation, HS PCI Modem, Basic Stamp for I/O
      --
      Tonlof | Sweden

Comment

The plugin forms the provider string with the text box entry used to indicate the data source. The applicable segments of code to open a SQL database follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
        SQLSource = Replace(hs.GetINISetting(TemperatureGroup, "SQLSource", "", TemperatureIniFile), q, "")
        gTemperatureDatabase = Replace(hs.GetINISetting(TemperatureGroup, "Database", "mcsTemperature.mdb", TemperatureIniFile), q, "")

DBProvider = "Provider = sqloledb; Integrated Security=SSPI; Data Source =" & SQLSource & "; Initial Catalog="

objConn.Open DBProvider & gTemperatureDatabase

</pre>

Comment

--
          Tonlof | Sweden

Comment

If you only have one SQL provider then I would just leave that text box blank. If you do want to put the name of the data source then give it only the data source name, not the entire provider string. The plugin forms the provider string as was shown in the prior posting.

The database name that is selected on your setup page is an Access database. A SQL database will not have the .mdb suffix. You will typically view its contents, outside of the plugin, with Enterprise Manager.

Comment

Working...
            X