Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Rain Gauge Scaling ????

McS,

I've just uncovered a wierd problem with the Rain Today which looks like a scaling issue. I only noticed this in 4.11.1, so I don't know if it was in previous versions also.

Last night it REALLY rained for about 45mins and this morning keen to see how much rain had fallen, I checked HS for rainfall today - nothing, zip, nada.

I thought the 1-wire to the rain gauge had failled, so I poured some water in and hey presto "Raining at nn in/hr" showed a figure like 250 in HS.

Checking further with a standard amount of water (0.544l = 1 in at the gauge rim), TEMP05 incremented by almost exactly 1", but the virtual device incremented by only 0.01"

Sounds like a scaling thing to me, but is this down to some user scaling factor you put in while I wasn't paying attention

I've never looked at the virtual devices, but the graphs show normal rainfall at my location. A few days back with 3/4 inch in a burst and yesterday with 0.05 for drizzle. I use the same algorithm for water usage and it continues to show normal usages.

Perhaps it is with the metric conversions? What do your graphs show? Also confirm it is a Rain Today sensor type. Gallons sensor type are scaled by 100 vs the Rain Today.

Comment

Had a good poke around and still can't see where the problem is.

Rain Today is set as Virtual Device W10 and Rain Rate as W11. Turning on debug gives :

04/11/2003 08:38:18~!~mcsTemperature~!~Temp05 Data: Rain #01[F900000000D7121D]=097.92 Inch
      04/11/2003 08:38:18~!~mcsTemperature Debug~!~Record ID Info=01/F900000000D7121D, Type = 4, Preferred Device=W10, Sensor Known=20, SetupOpen=False, DB Created=True
      04/11/2003 08:38:18~!~mcsTemperature Debug~!~Record ID Info Sensor Present=True, with Device Code=W10 at index 11
      04/11/2003 08:38:18~!~mcsTemperature Debug~!~Record ID Info=01/F900000000D7121D, Type = 5, Preferred Device=W11, Sensor Known=20, SetupOpen=False, DB Created=True
      04/11/2003 08:38:19~!~mcsTemperature Debug~!~Record ID Info Sensor Present=True, with Device Code=W11 at index 12
      04/11/2003 08:38:19~!~mcsTemperature Debug~!~Water Counter=097.92, Prior Counter=097.92, Interval=180 seconds

The Prior counter is correct and the entry in .ini which tracks rain rate is definately in inches and tallies with TEMP05.

The graphs are showing what seems to be a div/100 count as well.

Even more curious .... I've also tried switching the rain sensor to metric (mm) in the main tab. With that setting a 1" increment in TEMP05 gives a 2.5mm increment in the virtual device, which is clearly not correct but by a different factor than before.

What could I have done to cause this effect ?

Duncan

Comment

I believe I see the problem and make a correction in v4.11.3. When I added Gallons sensor I standardized on a single counting module and neglected to remember that the Temp05 delivers inches rather than counts.

Comment

Aha ! So I'm not going crazy after all

Comment

I would not be so quick to come to that conclusion.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would not be so quick to come to that conclusion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
              Especially considering your Avatar...

--
              Bill

Comment

McS - Bingo ! Works a treat now.

However I was a bit worried as when the rain rate algorithm re-engaged with the previous rain data it reported "Raining at 240365.8in/hr" !!!!!!

I wondered if it was too late to begin building an Ark !

Duncan

Comment

Working...
                X