Customization touchpad / stylesheet issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customization touchpad / stylesheet issues

I am creating custom pages for my touchscreen. i am using the header of the touchpad wrapper for my forecast page but not the footer.. tis makes available more space. However I cant figure how to make my low temperatures display. it appears they are black on a black background. what style sheet should I be editing and what heading would it be to find where lows are displayed.. also i would like to get rid of the "home events status" at the bottom of my forecast screen as i have my own pages to handle this and use the touchpad buttons for this. I also have this ugly gray area in my forecast page id like to get rid of also. I attached a screenshot so you can see. lastly how do I display data from my own outside temp sensor (its a device and not a sensor attached to MCStemp) in the local temp field.. right now local temp just displays 0 all the time. thanks
    -christopher
    Attached Files
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

-Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

from what I can tell, this weather page appears to be internally generated by the MCS plugin. the forecast.asp file just does an auth check to make sure im a legal user, and then makes a call to the plugin to generate the page. so i cant get to "the code" to work with it. unless there is a different page i should be using, or I just need to put all my forecast data into devices (I think the plugin will do that)and write my own page perhaps?
      -christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Christopher,
        Do you use WeatherXML by any chance?
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

I am using the built in forecast capabilities of the MCStemperature plugin. I originally just wanted MCStemp because it handles 1 wire. I used to use the garyga 1 wire plug, but found it was the source of many of my homeseer crashes or lockups.. since ridding myself of it my homeseer machine has been rock stable. the only thing that took it down recently was when I wasworking behind the rack and tripped over the power cord for it....

from what I have read, weatherXML would put my weather into various homeseer virtual devices as device strings? if thats the case I could put the data in table cells, DIVS , etc as any other device string like i do a damper or light?
          -christopher

Comment

-Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Header and footer formatting are controllable in three ways. The easiest is the setup checkbox to exclude header and footer. This will give you max realestate to do whatever you want.

The second is with the compatibility mode checkbox. When checked you are using the "Includes" from the updater and you can make the Header and Footer function do whatever you want since these files are editable.

The third is to identify your device as a touchscreen type device per the convention adopted by the "includes". In this case the footer is excluded and the header takes on a touchscreen style rather than a PC style.

The Display tab setup lets you define the color of text and background. Play with these until you get a pleasing contrast.

The Forcast tab has a table of 6 entries that are used as the source of the data to be displayed in the table for your local readings. The device codes are entered and the plugin will use the DeviceString of this virtual device for the display. You should format this device string with HTML tags for devices that you manage outside of mcsTemperature.

The screen is drawn within a table with a style sheet class of tablecelloff. Inside that master table are other tables that do not have width specifications to allow them to adjust to the size of the data inside the table. I dont know why your browser is not rendering the area of the screen to be the master table color for the areas that do not have other inside tables. Check your style sheet to make certain tablecelloff is defined.

Comment

sounds interesting... I dont have my own weather station.. (not yet anyway), I use my own sensors for temps around the house, HVAC, and other rooms that dont have RCS zones like the garage and basement, thats what all my 1 wire is for, the idea of weather on my in wall touchscreen intrigued me since it would be easy to look at instead of booting up a PC and going to wunderground every morning before work.. I see there is all kinds of weather XML's out there. which one should i use? and is it going to be a huge project to set it up? I dont mind writing the custom page to display it, would be easy if it is just device strings in homeseer devices. I would really be happy if they have one with traffic info for Columbus Ohio!, and of course Radar image is a must. some guidance would be greatly appreciated.
                -christopher

Comment

I was looking at the source created by the ASP, I am kind of unable to tell what stylesheet is getting used, it appears my touchpad style.css sheet is being used for all of it, even though in the plugin I have set to use stylenobody.css, for the most part the color scheme is following my touchpad style sheet, so i added the tablecell on and tablecelloff to that sheet. didnt do any good... when I look at the html source.. the area for the low temps doesnt even call a class, I see where it starts a table cell then does a color="black" yet i dont have black anywhere in my MCS GUI setup. if it were looking at a CSS for that color, wouldnt I have to see a CLASS= in the HTML of the displayed page? (yes I am fully aware this is dynamically created, im merely using view source as a way to debug). as for the gray area, Too darn many style sheets is the problem.. the touchpad wrapper uses its own style sheet that parts of seemed to carry over into the forecast page.. then the forecast page doesnt usethe stylnobody sheet that is set up in the plugin, it uses the homeseer default style sheet of style.css in the homeseer/HTML directory.. so thats fixed.. the forecast temp is there but my local is still saying 0. how do I get a local sensor which is a homeseer device to get its value there in that spot? Ive put device codes into all kinds of boxes in the plugin GUI but no good.. and of course the low temps.. I cant figure those out.. doesnt look like style sheet.
                  thanks
                  -christopher

Comment

CC,
                    There is only one weatherXML and it's a very good script. You do have to sign up at weather.com for their XML feeds but after that it's easy going. I don't think you would be disappointed. I have my own weather station yet I still use weatherXML. The icons for weatherXML are a separate download but out of the box it has a substantial web interface. It also comes with a page for the touch pad interface. I have a web page that looks exactly like th one you posted earlier that uses the xml file of weatherXML so you wouldn't loose that functionality.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

I do likethe XML weather, may end up using it.. however i would liek to get the forecast working on the MCS plugin.. maybe michael can chime in about my earlier post where the low temps donbt seem to be affected by a style sheet? the view source shows it to be hard coded in the code of the plugin? I dont see reference to a style.. unless it is something im missing but the generated HTML doesnt appear to use a style sheet.. ive modded a lot of area of the style sheet for the touchpad and also for the forecast.asp page.. which appears to be the style sheet for homeseer itself.

also would like to know exactly how to get the heading 'local:' to show as something other than 0 degrees. I have my outside temp sensor as a homeseer device value. it is NOT a sensor connected to the plugin.
                      -christopher

Comment

I looked at the source for the local temp and it is hard coded as color 400000. It does not need to be this, but I cannot rely upon a style sheet because older browsers do not support them. I can make it the color used for text in the setup if that works for you. The web-based one is also hard coded at red. Potentially the same problem, but I do what to have different colors for the two. Let me know.

The style sheet name is passed into the CustomHeader function and it becomes the single global style sheet used for the page generated. You should see it in the HEAD section if you do a view source.

I tried to answer your question about the value used for the local reading in my prior post and repeated it in the paragraph below. Do you have the devicestring of your devices that you entred for the local tempeature devices populated with a value to be displayed?

"The Forcast tab has a table of 6 entries that are used as the source of the data to be displayed in the table for your local readings. The device codes are entered and the plugin will use the DeviceString of this virtual device for the display. You should format this device string with HTML tags for devices that you manage outside of mcsTemperature."

The forecast display page is a variant of the World Weather page that is likely in the the script library. There have been many variations of this with the same basic theme. The focus of the variant in mcsTempeature is to integrate local sensor with web sensors and to be compatible with older 640x480 browsers. If these two are not driving factors for you then another, such as WeatherXML's may be better suited to your needs. mcsTempeature does utilize the WeatherXML feed if selected so the question is which display format comes closest to your desires.

Comment

Ok I see now it has to be a devicestring, I was trying to go based on a devicevalue.. since it is an ocelot sensor, it didnt display.. it wasnt the local temp COLOR that was the problem, the local temp displayed but always as zero.. the Color issue is with the 5 day forecast Low temps appearing to be hard coded as 000000. I use black backgrounds as I think they look cool and high tech for a touchscreen device. I didnt want to have to change my background color to a brighter color to gain back my low temps forecast. I do have XMLweather that i am playing with also and as you say it appears to be a very similar layout of the web page but yours is more compact and I likethe layout already for it.

I dont yet understand the idea of HTML formatting in a devicestring though, at least not for the local temp. it appears to be formatted already on your page, just needs a value to work with. if I just did a setdevicestring to a cstr(devicevalue) I know not correct syntax.. wouldnt that work as well? [I have to go ahead and buy the plugin now even before it works since homeseer told me my trial ran out 3 days early].
                          -christopher

Comment

I added two Display option boxes for the Forecast High and Low on the Display Tab. These same values will be used for the Web & Local current temperatures. I also checked for a null DeviceString and used the DeviceValue for the local Current Temperature in that case. It should take care of the Ocelot variables. It is in 4.30.0 at the top of the forum. The blue labels are hard-coded because some of them are graphics rather than text. I used the same hard-coded color for the High/Low labels on the 5 day forecasts.

The HTML formatting refers to the Homeseer Status display. If you wanted the data to be nicely formatted for this web view then you would have to put the HTML tags around it since your, rather than mcsTemperature, is generating the data. mcsTemperature removes the HTML tags as it is looking for a number in the device string. This allows you to have nicely formatted status displays and use the contents of the string as numbers for recording and charting.

Comment

Fixed!

Bingo! fixed the problem.. i am of the mind that no colors should be "hard coded".. its so easy to edit style sheets.. but I understand then eed for older touchscreens etc that may not support style sheets. in any case problems are solved for my particular application. im still not sure how the homeseer style.css sheet ends up being used when im wrapped in the touchpad but nevertheless I put tablecelloff in that sheet and got rid of my gray area.. and my local temp displays now as well with your devicevalue fixed.. so alas I ordered the full version of the plugin today from the homeseer store.. esp since you fixed all my problems so fast
                              thanks
                              -christopher

Comment

Working...
                              X