1 wire Comm problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 wire Comm problems

Im using a 9 pin DS9097U on a 16550 based UART (motherboard serial), I purchased the MCS temp for eventual use with 1 wre as on my old machine the garyga plugin used to eventually crash the homeseer box. I wired it up 2 wire parasitic wit ha DS18B20 sensor as I had done in the past, using MCStemp i have the following errors:

1] I cannot get it to poll the sensor nearly fast enough for my need, it is a Leaving air temp sensor for a furnace and this changes RAPIDLY.. 1 minute per poll is going to result in heating system blunders for sure.. since it isnt a switch I cant get rapid polling.. I have the sensor set for low precision as .5 degree C precision is more than enough for me...

2] Very often I get "temperature conversion did not complete" errors logged from the plugin, when I went ahead and reloaded the garyga plugin all works well wit hthe conversions and the data.. im just afraid to continue using it because of the crashing i had in the past.. id rather use the MCStemp.. if you can get me rapid polling and tell me why the sensor wont work right id be most happy.
    -christopher
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

I have never seen the error you report, but I thnk that it means that the sensor did not have sufficient energy to perform the A/D conversion at the instant it received the command to perform it. Using the 2-wire configuration the sensor charges its internal capacitor using the pulse transitions for normal 1-wire traffic. I've run a single sensor and I've run about 8 with the DS9097 with a typical polling interval of 5 minutes and never seen this error.

The xap 1-wire interface I posted (xapmcs1Wire) does allow polling of sensors with 1 second resolution. It is at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ht=xapmcs1wire post #7. It will run without any other xap software and you can look at the IO window just like the one in mcsTemperature to see what is being delivered from the sensor. After testing with then we can take the next step.

Comment

Ok I think I figured out part of my problem.. the XAP 1 wire I/O window worked perfectly.. so I loaded up MCStemp again and it worked perfectly.. just WAY too slow for my liking.. the XAP appeared to be as fast as the garyga plugin..

what it appears is when the sensors are shipped they are sent out set in the Highest precision mode and the conversion evidentilly was taking way longer than the software or the DS9097 would do.. my Leaving air temp sensor is set to .5 C accuracy which allows for very fast conversions.. when I put on a new sensor that hadnt been reprogrammed once again I got the errors in the MCSTEMP and in XAP. the garyga plugin has a provision for reprogramming these sensors so i just will have to load up his plugin, program my sensors and then load yours back up, unless you are planning to add provisions for setting the sensors precision depth...

However I do need the fast response time for my HVAC applications so a fast poll for temp sensors is needed.. this controls the cycling and staging of my furnace based on the temp of the air comingfrom the vents so 1 minute intervals will kill the whole thing.
      -christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

so did I buy the wrong plugin??

all i want is support for Fast 1 wire.. did i spend $$ on MCS for nothing? what is the XAP stuff?

im not looking to graph anything.. I simply want 1 wire sensors to display in Homeseer devices WITHOUT the degree symbols so I can use them for scripts, web pages, Mainlobby display etc...

michael: is there any chance of MCS temp doing 1 second readings for temp sensors?
        -christopher

Comment

I should be able to put faster polling into mcsTemperature. I've got some PC lockup problems that I have to overcome first. xap is a communictions protocol designed for Home Automation that allows HA to be performed in a distributed rather than centralized manner. The xapmcs1Wire is the bridge beween a DS9097U and the LAN. Other xap nodes can then pick up the 1-wire readings as they are delivered. Homeseer can be one of these nodes if an xap plugin is installed into Homeseer. It can be perceived much like an X10 plugin that makes the X10 traffic available to Homeseer, but in this case it is IP-based xap traffic.

mcsTempeature formats the Devicestrings for HTML display. I believe the DeviceValue is scaled by 100 so a reading of 50.5 would be 5050 as an integer DeviceValue. The xap messages contains an HTML formatted string and a raw numeric value including the decimal positions.

Comment

what would you recommend for what I need to do? for my 1 wire I need the following:

1] my Leaving and return air temps Need Fast response times, as it directly affects the burners on my furnace..

2] my Outside temp sensor needs to be able to handle negative numbers.. hopefully in a form OTHER than having a negative be 65535 as it ends up being with an ocelt bobcat..

3] these just need to be somehow put into a device.. precision of around 1 deg F is more than sufficient

should I just plan on running the garyga plugin for 1 wire for a while, rebooting my HS server once every week until you can get fast polling in or is there something else I could do easily without a lot of learning just for a temporary fix..
            the garyga may run fine on this server.. I just bought your plugin instead because of knowing the troubles i had with complete and utter crashes when running garyga in the past...

-christopher

Comment

The attached should have the DS9097 interval in seconds. I have no way to test right now. See if it works for you.
              Last edited by Michael McSharry; December 30, 2004, 03:51 PM.

Comment

works like a champ.. i ran it on my test HS server for an hour or so.. normal CPU usage and memory.. so now its`on the real deal for 2 hours now or so and it is working great.. thanks for the quick update.. that will do exactly as I need.
                -christopher

Comment

Working...
                X