Water meter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water meter.

I have a water meter that I've hooked up to a 1-wire counter, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get mcs temp to read it's data.

Michael, I believe you are doing a similar thing with your setup, whats the trick? Will I be able to get real time water useage gpm? or is it not going to update that fast? I'd like to be able to tell how many gallons are used, and calculate that over sample time to know the rate as well... So basicaly I'd like two virtual devices one that will show me the rate at which it's flowing... and the other would be the actual gallons used... so if my counter is at 17351, I'd like to show 1735.1 gallons

I forgot to add the note that I'm using a ds2423p on a kit board similar to the AAG
    http://www.hobby-boards.com/1wireboa...l_counter.html

Joe
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

What interface are you using? Temp05 or DS9097U. I have mine connected to the Temp05 and told the Temp05 that this DS2423 is a Lightning sensor. I would have to look at the source code to see how/if I did it with the DS9097U interface.

When you look at the mcsTemp setup page you will want to be looking in the "User" tab. The plugin will create the devices for daily utilization and rate where rate is computed as a moving average over the three mosts recent samples.

Comment

I'm using the DS9097U
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I looked at the source and everything is setup to accept it with the DS9097U. The first time it sees a DS2423 type sensor it will assume it is a wind speed counter. Look on your Analog pages for this sensor under wind speed or some other type and change its type to gallon. It should move to the User tab from the Analog tab the next time the setup is opened.

If you still do not see it then look at the IO stream and confirm the unit is visible on the 1-Wire bus. If you see it there then enable the general debug for a couple data collection intervals and this should show what the plugin is doing with it.

Comment

The plugin sees it as a wind speed sensor, however in the Analog devices tab I do not have "gallon" in my list for device types. I updated from 4.25.3 to 4.30.2 today and it still doesn't show "gallon" I'm I missing something completely obvious?
          Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

It was a late addition so it might not be elegantly handled. Shutdown Homeseer and edit \Config\mcsTemperature.ini.

In the [Devices] section locate the DS2423 sensor that is the one you want to show gallons. There will be two devices one with a S suffix and the other with a G. Change these to N and C respectively. There will be an entry on the line the identifies the device type. The wind speed and gust are types 2 and 3. The water flow and rate are types 29 and 30.

Restart Homeseer and look in the Setup Users tab.

Comment

Well, I didn't have a S suffix and the other with a G. I had a G and something
              else I forgot now,

this is what I have now...

[Devices]
              BE34C00001961B21Q=",0,,0"
              0700080015EAEC10="\2,97,,102"
              9300080015F6D310="\3,97,,11483"
              0500000006633C1DN="\4,0,,314"
              0500000006633C1DC="\5,97,,0"
              [Database]
              \1=""
              \2="t0700080015EAEC10,0,1"
              \3="t9300080015F6D310,0,1"
              \34=""
              \35=""
              \59=""
              \4=",29,1"
              \5=",30,1"
              [LastState]
              S\1=3
              S\34=3
              S\35=3

the \4=",29,1" and the \5=",30,1" is what I changed to 29 and 30 from 2 and 3 was that the right section? I can see the total clicks now on the meter, but my meters resolution is in 10 of gallons I belive. is there a place where I can change the resolution? The flow rate is not currently working. but the total counter is...
              Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

I'm back home now and fixed up the water flow logic. I also added a text box to allow the count to be scaled. You will enter a value of 10 if you have a 10 gallon per count meter. I also added some debug logic when the General Debug checkbox is checked to understand why you are not getting a water flow rate calculation.

I tested the logic running the mcsEnvironment which is an xAP version of the plugin. There are differences so please pay attention when you try it out. You will now see the Water Flow sensor in the Analog tabs rather than the user tab.

There is also quite a few changes to add new features related to processing of discrete sensors. If you do not have any of these then you will not see any difference in this area.

It is posted as V4.33.0

Comment

Small problem.

I hadn't checked it until now, I tried putting in 0.1 or 0.01 in the cal/avg column, as my meter ticks 10 time per gallon

Is the number of gallons a float or integer? I was hoping to report on the tenth of a gallon being used since my meter can do that.

Thanks.
                  Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

The values are maintained as float internally. When stored to the database and to DeviceValue then they are scaled by 100 and stored as integer. The DeviceString carries 2 digits after the decimal.

There are counter calibrations on the Devices/Files tab. This is where you want to change the 1 to 0.1. I suspect the desired result will not be achieved by changing the cal/avg field of the sensor.

Comment

I'll try that tonight.

Thanks.
                      Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Worked like a charm! Thanks a ton!
                        Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Working...
                        X