Logging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logging question

Is there any way to tell mcstemperature to write the temps with a decimal. For example a temp reading of 80.4 will write 8040 to the database table. what i would like to see is 80.40 or 80.4. I tried to export the table to excel and re-format the rows to no avail. Also, How often should update the database? should it write data everytime the temp08 spits out temps?
    right now it looks like the only time the database is written to is upon homeseer startup.

Thank you
    Last edited by in4ni; August 30, 2005, 05:21 PM.

I standardized the database and DeviceValue scaling to be 100 and use Integer storage formats to conserve space. The first tab contains the databas update interval and if it is to be sync'd to the Temp05/08

Comment

can you please word your answer in a language i can understand. I dont know 1 line of code and im not a database guru. All i know is nothing is getting logged into the mdb file.

Thank you

Comment

I can answer...

Of course, Michael may correct me but I think I can answer your questions.

If you want the database updated look on the first tab of the mcsTemperature plugin in config.

It is there that you set the interval of how often the plugin will read the temperature from the temp05. On the same screen about 7 lines down you need to check the option to transfer the virtual devices to the database.

As to the explanation of the decimal points, Michael is telling you that he doesn't store decimal places in the database to save space and hassles. How do you want to use this data with the decimal places? Maybe I can give you some suggestions and to what to do.

It took me a little while to understand this plug in but once I did it is a very cool tool that I now need.
        James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

How is the "update interval" setting in the plugin related to the update interval in the temp08? My goal is to write an entry to the database every 10 minutes. Right now the only time the DB is getting updated is when i make a change in the mcs setup and click update or i retsart seer. Ill deal with the decimals later, because if i cant log readings its doesnt matter

Thank you!!

Comment

Thanks James for a more complete answer.

When the Temp05/08 is used and the checkbox selected for recording to a database then the data recording interval is slaved to the update interval of the Temp05/08. If you want your database to update at 10 minute intervals then configure the Temp08 to update at the 10 minute interval. The Temp08 config operation is manual, but needs to only be done once since the Temp08 remembers its settings. It can be done from the Echo/Comm window of the plugin.

Comment

nothing is getting written the to database!

I selected a different path and name and clicked update. The file was created but still no entrys in the table. Where do i go from here?

thank you

Comment

Is Sensor #1 being read from the Temp08? Enable general debug and collect log data for 10 minutes, zip it up and post it if you see the Temp08 data. Include your mcsTemperature.ini with the zip file.

Comment

I woke up this morning and data had been written to the log. I opend the mdb file with access looked at the table and closed the file. After that i open excel and extracted data for charting. After i have done those two things data has not been written to the log since. Does this make sense?

I attached the ini and mdb file

Thank you for all your help!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Data appears to be getting logged. How bout the decimal in the table entrys? Is that possible? Im having a hard time dealing with the big numbers. currently im doing a query in excel and having to divide every cell by 100. Big pain in the butt.

Thank you

Comment

The data will remained scaled by 100 so values such as 0.45 inches of rainfall will not be truncated to 0. Integer formats in the database and in Homeseer Device Values do not allow decimal or fractional values to be stored.

Comment

Ill deal with the decimal issue, no prob

Is accessing the mcs MDB file with excel gonna cause any problems?

Or opening the table with access gonna cause any problems?

It seems after i mess with the file that no data is being written for a wile

Thank you

Comment

I know I have had the database open and looking at the contents of the tables when mcsTemperature was running. The table being viewed would not refresh when new data arrived, but I could close the table and open it again and the new data would show up. Charting is being done by opening a connection to the database while the first connection for recording may be open and no conflict exists there either. I do not know if Excel puts a lock on it or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X