Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mscTemperature Feedback

Build 1992 (and prior) feedback:
    Fairly often I can't close hspi_mcsTemp in Task Manager. I have to reboot server.
    Using very latest mcsTemp build.

Here is an error message that came up this morning:
    Attached Files

I suspect something like this happens because mcsTemperature released control to something else and control was never returned. I know that the OWAPI drivers for DS9097/9490 will lock out mcsTemperture. Do you use that interface? Were you using mcsTemperature under HS 1.x?

Comment

Yes, I did use mcsTemp with 1.7 and then did a HS 2.0 upgrade over the top. What would I have used the OWAPI for? DS9097? I do believe I am using the DS9097 serial 1wire interface - Was this to support mcsTemp in 1.7? Is it needed in 2.0?
      Is there a better driver for the DS9097 that doesn't keep hold of mcsTemp? It doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while when I am trying to kill HS and update something (like mcsTemp).

Comment

mcsTemp uses OWAPI for the DS9097U and DS9490. These are dumb interfaces so the software that drives them needs to keep tight reigns on timing of pushing bits and listening for a response. There really is nothing better, but something like a Temp08 will allow a microcontroller deal with the timing rather than the PC. The Temp08 will handle the basic set of sensor most use.

I used the OWAPI primarily as an example. mcsTemperature makes use of several other items. HS itself is often called. The Windows API is used. There are others that dont come to mind at the moment.

If you try to go through a normal termination by closing HS and this happens then I can add some shutdown debug. If you do the shutdown forefully then it becomes more difficult.

Comment

The shutdown sequence used by mcsTemperature waits for up to 15 seconds for sensor data collection cycle to complete if it is active. It then calls back to HS to save info in the .ini file, closes the interface, and destroys its internal objects. In standalone applications an "End" is included after all housekeeping to terminate the application, but when run as a HS plugin the "End" becomes HS's responsibility.

Public Sub ShutdownIO()
          10 On Error Resume Next
          20 gShutdown = True
          30 If bStillPolling Then
          40 With CommAndTimer.ShutdownTimer
          50 .Interval = 15000
          60 .Enabled = True
          70 End With
          80 End If
          120 SaveErrorCounts
          130 If UseTemp05 And Temp05CommPort <> "" Then
          140 CloseCommPort Temp05CommPort