Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my wits end....ugh!

Hi Folks

I am sorry to give in here, but I just cannot get my head around how to setup MCSTemperature in my config.

I have HS 2.1, plus xap hub and mcs1wire. The 1 wire devices are connected through a HobbyBoards hub.

I have 24 thermometers as devices in HS, all of which work fine.

I have ultralog, logging into SQL2k5... which I doubt is relevant right now...

I have installed MCSTemperature and cannot figure how to get the devices into it!

I have played with the analog(1) screen... to no avail.

Can someone please point me at the appropriate documentation for this, (I have seen several how-to's but they *all* assume so much knowledge or are not the same config...

Currently, I have new devices created by MCSTemp in HS, with no values. These devices are "forecast real feel" etc...

I tried adding three devices into analog(1) - I entered the virtual device name as an existing device (assuming this is how it picks it up) and entered a verbose text description of the device.

I have no idea what the switch 0 line is - likewise... why device A1 - that is an existing x10 devcie I have so whcy pick that?

Anyway - hope someone can help me... I want this to work so badly!

DJ

In HSlog, I have the errors...

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25072</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25/07/2006 17:44:45</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsXap</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>GetPluginTriggers Line 350 Automation error The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25067</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25/07/2006 17:44:44</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Creating database fields Centra_Heating_Boiler_-_Flow,Utility_Room_Temperature,Central_Heating_Boiler_-_Flow in C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2\mcsTemperature.mdb\Temperature</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25068</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25/07/2006 17:44:44</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Database Item</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>Saving Device Switch0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25069</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25/07/2006 17:44:44</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty house code. Returning to A</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25070</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25/07/2006 17:44:44</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty device code. Returning to 1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25071</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25/07/2006 17:44:44</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Creating Virtual Device(s)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Did you look at the document at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113939 which is primarily intended for a full xAP environment, but there are also sections that describe how to integrate mcsTemperature as well.

The basic idea is that xapmcs1Wire will deliver sensor information in xAP LAN format. mcsXap plugin will recognize the xAP format and place the readings into virtual devices. These virtual devices then can be added to the Analog tab of mcsTemperature. At both xapmcs1Wire and mcsXap there will be browser pages to checkbox the sensors that are to be included. For xapmcs1Wire the filter is for which sensors on the 1-wire will be communicated on the LAN. For mcsXap it is which sensors on the LAN will be used to populate HS devices.

Comment

Hi Michael... I appreciate your reply - heaven knows how you find the time to support us users!

So, yes, I did read that document, but left it none the wiser... sorry!

I think if mcsChart and Database were available for trial download, I would have understood it... but with Temp... I am a bit lost... or very lost to be honest!

Could you explain what populates the database? Is it a jet or access DB..? is there an option for SQL..?

As for the error message re switch etc...any ideas?

What is the syntax for the analog pages? Do I enter existing device names (the ones that the one wire plug in gave me... or are these mcstemp created devcies?

I am even thinking about buying mcstemp just to get chart and db!!

D

Comment

I have 24 thermometers as devices in HS, all of which work fine
        How did these get into Homeseer? Do you want to create charts for these?

To do that you enter the three or four character device code into the Analog tab of mcsTemperature and put in a valid database field name if you do not like the default one. xAP is not involved with this.

mcsTemperature manages the database for the sensors it is charting. It can be Access or SQL based upon what you setup on the tab where the database location is defined in mcsTemperature. xAP is not involved with this.

The forecast devices are populated based upon the weather source you identify. xAP is not involved with this.

If you want to get the 1-wire sensors that are connected via the hobby-board hub into mcsTemperature then you will need xapmcs1wire, xapmcshub, and mcsXap running. When this connection is made according to the referenced document then Homeseer devices will exists and these devices can be added to the analog tab just as with the thermometers described above.

xapmcsChart and xapmcsDatabase are available for download and should operate in trial mode for 30 days. Once the trial is started dont delete the ini files associated with then otherwise the trial info will be lost and you will not be able to retrial.

Comment

Ok, OK!!!

Got it working... at least nearly there..!

I added in three devices as a test, and then once it was looking good (can graph etc) I went back and changed the database field name name for the three test devices - and then things went wrong!

The three devices that were renamed are now wrongly displayed in the HS status page... Instead of normal temperature icons, they show the "yello bar" and the value Zero. The update date/time is correct.

I have tried unselecting the 1-wire device in mcsxap, deleting the devicews in HS and restaring, but the devices are recreated with the yello bar again and values Zero. I have checked the device properties, and they all say device type temperature...like the ones that work!

Any ideas as to how I get these three devcies back again!??! The 1 wire hub sees them as normal...

I am also still getting the error below... and have no recolection as to how these got here?
          <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25732</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 21:47:44</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty house code. Returning to A</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25733</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 21:47:44</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty device code. Returning to 1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How do I delete them!?!? There are now 5 A1 devices, plus my "real" x10 A1 device.... They keep re-appearing at every HS restart.....

Other pertinant log entries...

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25603</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:50:02</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Database Item</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Saving Device Temperature3</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25601</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:50:01</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Database Item</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>Saving Device Temperature1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25602</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:50:01</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Database Item</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Saving Device Temperature2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25597</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:49:59</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Database Item</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Saving Device Switch0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25598</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:49:59</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty house code. Returning to A</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25599</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:49:59</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty device code. Returning to 1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25600</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:49:59</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>Creating Virtual Device(s) ,\16,\14,\13</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25591</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:43</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Creating database fields temp1,temp2,temp3,temp4,temp5,temp6,temp7,temp8,temp9,temp10 ,temp11 in C:\Program Files\Homeseer 2\mcsTemperature.mdb\Temperature</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25592</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:43</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Database Item</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>Saving Device Switch0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25593</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:43</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty house code. Returning to A</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25594</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:43</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>Error</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>DeviceClass error for Switch0, cannot have a null or empty device code. Returning to 1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25595</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:43</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Creating Virtual Device(s)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25586</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:42</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>Renaming database field comsrck to temp12</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25587</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:42</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tablerowodd vAlign=top align=left>Renaming local sensor table field comsrck to temp12</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>25588</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>26/07/2006 20:48:42</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top noWrap align=left>mcsTemperature</TD><TD class=tableroweven vAlign=top align=left>Removing virtual device \16, datababase field chreturn left in database</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Anyway - if you are still with me, help is, as ever, much appreciated!

DJ

Comment

The A1 is coming from the switch0 device. Do you have anything defined on the discrete tab of mcsSprinklers or know where it is from? post the mcsTemperature.ini and tell me which devices and database names your are trying to get back.

Comment

Hi Michael

Ok...working better now...but the switch0 is still lurking.

I dont have mcssprinklers.. any clues as to how to remove it?

Another question... I now have heaps of other devices listed under the room "temperature" - what are they for? They contain no values in the status field.

I had a look for mcschart and mcsdatabase... how and where are they available for download?

How do I buy a license for mcstemp, and, does it cover me for chart and db?

Thanks for all the help...

DJ

Comment

I had the same problem when I installed mcsTemperature. In my case it was switch1. I closed Homeseer, made a backup of sample.mdb (or whatever you named it) and opened the file in Access. Then I went to the devices table and deleted all 4 devices with house code of "A". That was easy for me as I don't use "A" as a house code.

I still don't know why it happened in the first place.

Ken

Comment

OK, now I'm stumped too. Whenever I press the update button in mcsTemperature, a new device is added and I get the error message. This happens even if I make no changes to any settings.

Comment

I'll take either of your mcsTemperature.ini files to see if I can replicate the device creation. Is this something that just started happening with later HS2 builds? Seems like it might be related to the .0 and .1 suffix that HS is adding to the device types generated by mcsTemperature.

"Heaps" of devices are hard to identify. It could be the one resulting from the Forecast Tab settings. There are also some error status devices that are created. The name of one or two might help to identify what they are.

Licensing is handled via HST via their store and Updater mechanism. It will cover you for the chart and database nodes.
                    Last edited by Michael McSharry; July 31, 2006, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Well, I fixed it again.

I looked at the .ini file and found this entry
                      =",11,1"
                      on a line by itself in the [Database] section. Removed it and so far the problem is gone and doesn't come back with the update button. I think that did it.

Michael, I did save the old .ini if you still want it.

Thanks for staying up late to look at this

Ken

Comment

The question is why did that entry appear in the ini file? Is is perhaps when a discrete item is deleted?

Comment

For me, this is a new install. I'm just finishing my migration from 1.7 (fresh install on new computer). This error popped up after I installed the plugin. I opened the configuration GUI, made some changes on the general tab and pressed the update button and got the error messages. I had not entered any devices at this time.

Comment

Hi Both - thanks for the help...

I have attached my INi file.... obviously renamed to upload.

The "heaps" of devices are below.... hope they make sence... I just dont know why they appeared and how I use them!

DJ
                            Attached Files

Comment

I had the exact same issue in my .ini file and the log, where I would get log messages about "Switch3", and the system would create a bunch of device A1 entries in the Homeseer status page.

I also had that same content in my ini file. I deleted the entry in the .ini file and restarted Homeseer. However, as soon as I use teh configuration program and click "update", it creates the device again and adds the same entry to the ini file again. Here is a segment of my ini file:
                              [Database]
                              #64="Temp1,0,1"
                              #66="Temp2,0,1"
                              #67="Temp3,0,1"
                              #65="Humid1,6,1"
                              #68="Humid2,6,1"
                              =",11,1"
                              [Cals]
                              #64=""
                              #66=""
                              #67=""
                              #65=""