Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS page to page slow down

Michael,

It seems that I have been having a problem with MCSTemp V5, which is causing a page to page slow down ,
    ( like moving from event to stats pages ect from within HS)

The only part of the plugin that I use is for Temp monitoring of 32 DS18S20's
    that I have some events setup for.

Don't know what causing this. It will run for a couple of hours before slowing down the HS pages.

I do know that COM starts out at 13mb and within a couple of hours it at 23mb and by morning it over 40mb.

Is there some kind of Debugging that I can turn on to what happening ?

HS 2.1.43
    MCSTemp V5

-Zap
    -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
    Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
    HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
    W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
    Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
    Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

I know that the new 1-wire plugin for HS2 was having memory growth problems that were being investigated, but I'm not familiar with the status and I do not believe the COM compatiblity process is used with it. There is no internal debugging setup to look for this. Did you get the same growth with V4 of mcsTemperature? While there was new code to deal with the browser interface, the periodic processing did not change between V4 and V5. The three primary activities that are done on a periodic basis are the polling of sensors, collection of weather data and the transfer of the data to a database. Each of these can be individually enabled if you wish to do some investigation.

Comment

I didn't noticed it with V4. com was never more then 18mb.

I was already using V5.0.0.1 with HS 2.1.139 and didn't see anything out of the normal.

It when I loaded HS 2.1.43 that things started going south.

I tried to change the polling time for the sensors, it reverts back to the defaults ( like its not saving it ). All the temp sensors seem to be working alright.

I just upgrade from Version 5.0.0.1 to 5.0.0.21 with no change.

If I disable MCSTemp then the problem go's away.

Is there anything else I need to try ?

-Zap
      -Mike-

HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts

Comment

It seems that the change to HS 2.1.43 is what induced the problem. I would suggest doing a help desk ticket so they know something in .43 has affected other things. If HST has made a change that I need to do something with then they will be able to tell me what needs to be changed.

Comment

Michael,

I have a ticket #10234 put in oct 16, were this also causes HS to crash sometimes.
          But they have been very slow to, or no responce at all to the beta HS builds.

I did turn on the special Debug Log and get this in the HS log.
          10/22/2006 8:11:57 PM - mcsTemperature - Maximum simultaneous ASP requests now = 2
          10/22/2006 8:11:58 PM - mcsTemperature - Maximum simultaneous ASP requests now = 3
          10/22/2006 8:12:01 PM - mcsTemperature - Maximum simultaneous ASP requests now = 4
          10/22/2006 8:12:03 PM - mcsTemperature - Maximum simultaneous ASP requests now = 5
          10/22/2006 8:12:05 PM - mcsTemperature - Maximum simultaneous ASP requests now = 6
          10/22/2006 8:12:10 PM - mcsTemperature - Maximum simultaneous ASP requests now = 7
          10/22/2006 8:12:11 PM - mcsTemperature - Maximum simultaneous ASP requests now = 8
          10/22/2006 8:12:21 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperatureASP 10 second Timeout On Pending ASP Request with pending level 8
          10/22/2006 8:12:30 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperatureASP 10 second Timeout On Pending ASP Request with pending level 7
          10/22/2006 8:12:36 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperatureASP 10 second Timeout On Pending ASP Request with pending level 6
          10/22/2006 8:12:44 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperatureASP 10 second Timeout On Pending ASP Request with pending level 5
          10/22/2006 8:12:52 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperatureASP 10 second Timeout On Pending ASP Request with pending level 4
          10/22/2006 8:13:00 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperatureASP 10 second Timeout On Pending ASP Request with pending level 3
          10/22/2006 8:13:10 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperatureASP 10 second Timeout On Pending ASP Request with pending level 2
          10/22/2006 8:13:10 PM - mcsTemperature - xStartHeaderASP on line 190 Object variable or With block variable not set
          10/22/2006 8:13:10 PM - mcsTemperature - TemperaturePage: on line 310 Object variable or With block variable not set

-Zap
          -Mike-

Comment

This debug log shows where the procedure to build a HTML page is being called multiple times before it has a chance to complete a prior page. This is normally called from temperature.asp. There is not suppose to be reentrancy on asp calls unless the rules have changed.

Comment

Michael,

I was trying some different polling setting today and found that I cannot save the setting on the, hxxt://localhost:81/temperture.asp?Page=interface
              any setting I try a save go back to what they were before.

On the C:\Programs Files\HomeSeer 2\config\sample.mdb Page
              Mcstemperature\ Setup form. will not show and will freeze the HS events log, Ctrl Alt Delete end task on mcstemp and the temperature Setup form page will pops up and the HS events log unfreezes, I can then set the polling rate and save it.

By changing the polling rate to 60 seconds, I don't have any problem with the HS pages ( they are very fast) untill it start polling the sensors then the HS pages more or less freeze untill it has finished polling.

If I go look at the temperature.asp page the changes that I made on the setup form page are now on the asp page.

This is weird !
              Any suggestions ?

Rich, e-mail me to day and asked a question as to would mcstemp run without any hardware, I did not really know the answer to his question.

-Zap
              -Mike-

Comment

The answer to Rich's question is "yes" and that is how I am currently running mcsTemperature. I'm running v5 and have not encountered the problem you are describing.

Bill

Comment

Thats interesting,

Now what kind of test would that be, no sensor input, nothing in the database. I would not think that would be a useable test for any program or a least not a one wire network.

I suppose you wouldn't see the same problem

-Zap
                  -Mike-

Comment

If any errors occurs during the time the setup page is open then all changes to the setup page are discarded. This is true of the browser setup or the form setup. Is there anything in the log to indicate an error?

The Dallas Semiconductor drivers for the DS9097U/DS9490 take control of the thread when sampling is happening. That means anything in that thread will be non-responsive. mcsTemperature runs in its own process so I do not understand why it would hold up HS, unless HS is making a "are you alive" poll and the response cannot be retured until the 1-wire drivers release the thread.

I'm not familiar with the "On the C:\Programs Files\HomeSeer 2\config\sample.mdb Page Mcstemperature\ Setup form". The windows form could appear behind the HS pages and make it look as if something is frozen. If you keep the center of your desktop clear then you will see the mcsTemperature forms.

mcsTemperature can be used with the input from virtual devices. The support of 1-wire and csv files is just a side benefit and not the mainstream aspect of the plugin.

Comment

No errors of any kind in the HS log.

the [C:\Programs Files\HomeSeer 2\config\sample.mdb Page] is just the HS event log GUI

[The windows form could appear behind the HS pages and make it look as if something is frozen.]

No is not behind, It will actually will freeze up the HS event log. it does not do it all the time.

[Mcstemperature\ Setup form]
                      Is in the MCSTemp GUI

When I first reported this in the beta forums I did not know what was causing this but at that time I got two errors about a comSvcs dll, But have not seen it again.

I have taking my sensor count down from 32 to 11 and poll times to 60 seconds untill I find out whats going on.

This is totally baffling.

-Zap
                      -Mike-

Comment

By cutting back to 11 sensors and polling every 3 min there is no more problems with freeze ups untill it polls the sensors again.

The more sensors I take off line the shorter the freeze up time.
                        even with bringing up the MCSTemp GUI.

-Zap
                        -Mike-

Comment

This seems to indicate that the hs_compatibility process is connecting with the mcsTemperature process often and it appears to be tightly coupled with the HS process that updates the web pages. It does not seem like it should be the case since one of the selling points of .NET is the process independence. There is nothing that can be done about the Dallas Semiconductor 1-wire drivers that take control of the thread, but there may be something that can be done in the relationship between the various HS threads once HST understands the situation.

Comment

Thanks Michael for your Help.

I will attempt to convey this to HST, Although occasionally my communication skills are lacking.

-Zap
                            -Mike-

Comment

I'm not sure I totally understand what is going on as I don't know much about this plugin, but here is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong.

* The MCS Temp plugin is an EXE plugin, so its assumed that its running in its own process

* The plugin polls temp sensors to get information, and while the polling is going on, HS appears to freeze.

* Reducing the amount of polled devices, reduces the freezing in HS

If these assumptions are correct, then I need to ask the following:

* When does the polling take place? Is it happening off a VB timer? Or is happening off a call from HS? It sounds like HS is either calling into the plugin and its not returning for some length of time. Note that even though its an EXE plugin, any call into the plugin needs to return immediately. The calls are all done off of one thread, from the hs_compatibility exe.

I do have a temp05 serial board, with 2 sensors, can I use that to see this problem?
                              website | buy now | support | youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X