Installation of DS9097U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation of DS9097U

I've got a TEMP08 installed and running good downstairs. Now I wanted to install a DS9097U upstairs, but I'm getting the following error. Any idea what this means?

DS9x9x Error= com.dalsemi.onewire.OneWireException: 1-Wire Net not available
    Regards, Bob

I think I see this when the DS9097U is not connected or it is connected but another piece of software claimed ownership already. A computer restart is needed to clear the second case.

The other thing that is a common failure mode is that the Microsoft JVM is not installed, but I think the error is something else and occurs before the error you are seeing occurs.

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. That got me thinking the I had used the same ComPort to set up the Rain8 for mcsSprinklers. I changed the COM port and that fixed THAT problem. Now I'm getting the following error message.

07:48:40 | DS9x9x Error= com.dalsemi.onewire.adapter.OneWireIOException: 1-Wire Net shorted

I firgured that this had something to do with the terminations on the RJ12 plugs, but I have re-terminated plugs (several times now) with the same message. I'm using Cat5 wire with the Orange Wire to pin 3 and WhiteOrange to pin 4. What am I missing?

PS: I have verified that I'm running MS Java (but also have Sun's Java installed on the system)
      Regards, Bob

Comment

One does not normally terminate the end of a 1-wire run other than putting a 1-wire device at the vey end. The message is telling you that there is an unsufficient voltage delta between the DQ and Gnd at the point being seen by the DS9097U. Could it be that one or more of the 1-wire device(s) you have connected to the DS9097U are not wired correctly to the DQ or Gnd or the connection is shorted somewhere.

Comment

Michael,

I think I should expand on my setup so you have a better understanding of exactly what I have equipment wise.

I have two Comtrol ethernet serial hubs in the house. One upstairs and one downstairs. I have a TEMP08 connected to COMPort 15 in the hub downstairs and this seems to be working as I would expect. I'm trying to run the DS9097U from the hub located upstairs (COMPort 6) and this is where I'm getting the errors.

I purchased 4 AAG 1-wire Interior Temperature Sensors (TAI8520) for use in the system. One is located on the TEMP08 run downstairs (which I plan on expanding in the future). I'm trying to hook up another on the DS9097U run upstairs. So far I have only tried to hook up this single senor on the upstairs run so it is on the end of the CAT5 cable (although no wire is running from the sensor - only the one cable going to it). As I said before, I'm using the Orange wire on pin 3 and WhiteOrange on pin4.

Given the error message I was getting on the DS9097U (sorted), I have reterminated the wires several times. Finally, I took the same wire downstairs and connected it to the TEMP08 run with a AAG sensor on the end of the run. The TEMP08 reads this sensor without problems so I have concluded that the termination are correct and the problem must be something else. I do not get any error messages from the DS9097U when a sensor is not connected although the log acknowledges its existance.

Could the problem be related to the fact that the DS9097U is connected to the ethernet hub rather then a serial port on the HS computer itsself? Since the TEMP08 has separate power that may explain why it works on the hub while the DS9097U doesnt.
          Regards, Bob

Comment

I also have my serial interfaces distrubuted with IP/Serial adapters, but the DS9097U will not work over the IP connection. I had originally I thought it was a voltage level issue, but later determined is appears to be a timing one. The DS9097U is a very dumb interface and depends upon the PC for the signal timing and when the IP buffer is placed in between the timing relationships are lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              I also have my serial interfaces distrubuted with IP/Serial adapters, but the DS9097U will not work over the IP connection. I had originally I thought it was a voltage level issue, but later determined is appears to be a timing one. The DS9097U is a very dumb interface and depends upon the PC for the signal timing and when the IP buffer is placed in between the timing relationships are lost.
              Well OK then. I guess I will just have to run a line from the TEMP08 downstairs to the upstairs locations. I would purchase another TEMP08, but the plugin will only support one TEMP08. Thanks for sticking with me while we figured this out.
              Regards, Bob

Comment

You can use the script provided by MidonDesign to collect data from the Temp08. That is how I originally used mine. There is also a plugin that Jim Doolittle wrote, one that UltraJones wrote, and I also provide the xapmcsTemp0x that will interface an unlimited number of Temp08's so you have plenty of options should you want to add another Temp08.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  You can use the script provided by MidonDesign to collect data from the Temp08. That is how I originally used mine. There is also a plugin that Jim Doolittle wrote, one that UltraJones wrote, and I also provide the xapmcsTemp0x that will interface an unlimited number of Temp08's so you have plenty of options should you want to add another Temp08.
                  Good ideas. I would like a solution that would interface well with the mcsTemperature plugin. Will any of these scripts do that? I assume through the file import function.
                  Regards, Bob

Comment

The script MidonDesign provides puts data into virtual devices so from mcsTemperature perspective it looks the same as data coming from mcsTemperature. The V4 Temp05 script from MidonDesign was the basis of the code for the Temp05 data collection within mcsTemperature. I did the V5 and Temp08 code when Mitch had prototypes, but now the script is available and would be an effective solution.

Comment

This afternoon I set up my downstairs TEMP08 to use xap (with mcsXap of course). All seems to be working great. Now I want to set up a second TEMP08 using xap (for the upstairs location). What do I need to do for the second unit? Do I have to install another instance of the xapmcsTemp0x and have two running at the same time or is there another way?

Thanks for all the help with this.
                      Regards, Bob

Comment

Yes you need a second instance. Put it in a different folder or different computer. There is a setting to give each a unique xAP UID and a unique HTTP port at the bottom of the settings. You also have the abilty to talk to your IP tunnel directly rather than going through a COM emulation, but since you are setup with the emulation it would probably be easier to just use it.

Comment

Working...
                        X