Documentation or Help Files for MCS Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation or Help Files for MCS Temperature

I installed the MCS Temperature plug-in but when I got to Help in the Plug-in nothing happens. Is this normal?

Is there a documentation file I can download somewhere which shows how to configure and use the Plug-in?

I don't need to use 1-wire and I don't know what Temp05 is. I have temperature inputs from RFXcom sensors and from the Homeseer HSM100. Can I input these temperatures into MCS Temperature?

There is typically a .doc file in the \Docs folder. It may be a .pdf. I usually also have a \HTML\Help\mcsTemperature set of files which is the HTML version that is expected t be shown when help requested online. This has evolved over the years, but you should find it in one of these three places.

Essentially what you want to do is use the Sensor page and add the device codes of your RF sensors. On the Interface page you will check to add data to the database and at some interval. You view the charts from the Group page where you will define a group of sensors that are charted together.

Comment

OK I found the Readme file and I am puzzled - the screen prints bear no realationship to what I see in my system.

Moreover, the initial configuration steps refer to the Interfaces/Main tab as well as the Virtual Devices Interface. I cannot locate either of these. I have an Interfaces tab but it doesn't have a Main subtab. And I can't find anywhere to enter Virtual Device data. Also on the sensor page I don't have a clue how to actually enter the virtual IDs of my sensors - it is basically a blank list and I don't see how I can add new items.

Perhaps the version of the plug-in in the Updater (5.7.3) is too different from the earlier version used for the screen prints in the ReadMe file?
      Last edited by rkaplan; October 24, 2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Here is a screen print of my Interfaces page. Where is the "Main" subtab?
        Attached Files

Comment

Michael... a big public thanks for your help remotely working through this with me including your suggestion I download the ChartDirector software manually since it may not auto-install with HS2.

Comment

Michael

Like rkaplan I only wanted to add a couple of sensors from RFXcomm/ACRF.
            Unlike rkaplan I gave up because I felt I was unneccesarily sitting for ages trying to figure out how to use the software.
            I also did'nt want to continually pester you for personal help, because that's wasting your time.

McsTemperature is obviously a powerful tool, but for a newbie it's very confusing when the manual is nothing like what you see on the screen before you. I've let my trial lapse, but would definately buy it if the documentation was there to support it

So, is there any chance of a new manual or even just an update of the important bits?

best regards

Comment

Let me say don't give up - it does really do the job well once it is set up.

I agree a small manual update of the screenshots to set it up with the current versions of HS2 and the plug-in would probably be a big help.

Comment

I did a manual update when Version 5 was released, but somehow it was misplace or overwritten. Once this happens the motivation for doing it again is reduced. I will redo it again, but not in the immediate future.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  I did a manual update when Version 5 was released, but somehow it was misplace or overwritten. Once this happens the motivation for doing it again is reduced. I will redo it again, but not in the immediate future.

Does anyone out there have a copy of the V5 manual?

Comment

I also could use a copy of the documentation too.
                    Stuart

Comment

me too

Comment

This is an example of the output in actual use... very nice to track temperatures and heating system performance.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Since you have relatively long sensor names you can increase the border so the legend of sensor names does not overlap the chart. This is done by changing the setting on the Display page from the default 35 for Inner Chart Vertical Start to something like 45 pixels. I think the plugin expect to be able to fit 4 names per line without wrapping to the next line.

Comment

Is this document the correct one?
                            http://www.rfxcom.com/documents/xAP_Homeseer.pdf

Bert

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
                              Is this document the correct one?
                              http://www.rfxcom.com/documents/xAP_Homeseer.pdf

Bert

Bert

It's actually the documentation for McSTemperature V5 that we are looking for.

Maybe we should start a petition....Four names already, anybody else?

Micheal

You've probably written hundreds of e-mail helping people set thing up. If you don't want to write another manual, how about turning some of these e-mails into a "sticky"?

Comment

Working...
                              X