Measuring rainfall in inches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measuring rainfall in inches?

I'm hoping I missed something obvious here.

I'm running HS2 with MCSTemperature...it has been working fine with outdoor weather station, and I decided to add on a 1-wire rain gauge that I had in my misc parts bin. It has a 6-inch bowl, so it takes about 400 ml of water to make an inch of measurable rain.

When I pour in an inch of "rain", the tipping bucket increments the status (count) by 36.

My first place to start scaling was the mcsTemperature startup screen, in the Devices/Files tab. Moving down to the Rain Count Calibration field, I set a count of 0.028 (1/36th of a gallon per click), and a rate of 1. This seems to get me graphs in the ballpark of reality, although the unit of measure is still "gallons". I assume I could so something similar for the rainfall rate.

This seems to be kind of a roundabout route for measuring rainfall and rate of rainfall. Is there a cleaner way to a solution? I've googled around, read the docs, and haven't found anything obvious.

Many thanks.
    <small></small>

If you select your rain bucket counter to Todays Rainfall type of sensor then the units displayed should be in inches. If it set to be a water flow counter then it will show in gallons.

The "standard" domestic rainbucket is 0.01 inches/count. The calibration approach you used appears to be correct to allow mcsTemperature recognize that your count corresponds to something other than 0.01 inches.

Comment

Thanks

Many thanks...that did it. I'm a little suspicious of the magnet/sensor placing, since it counts as the bucket tips in one direction, and not in the other.

Comment

Working...
      X