Support Hobby Board hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support Hobby Board hub

Is there any plans to support the Hobby Board 6 port hub anytime soon? I am planning on converting my elk sensors over to 1-wire and they are currently all homerunned back to the panel. I really need to use a hub to convert and I really dont want to go to the xap plugin.

If mcsTemperature had a small user base then I would consider it, but the hub does not fit well into the internal architecture of mcsTemperature's support of a variety of different interfaces. The amount of change that would be required to support it initroduces too much risk to existing users that will eventually download new updates.

Comment

Thats a bummer for me. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Do you know what would happen if I hooked all my sensors up in a homerun fasion?

Comment

It might work for you depending upon the effect the branches have on each other. The 1-wire interface at the PC sends out a digital pulse stream. When there are short branches and long branches then the waveform can reflect back from the short branch and distort the pulse stream. You will not know until you try it. If it does not work then you can try to change the dynamics of the wiring by changing the lengths or putting a 100 ohm resistor at a branch point of connection. You are going about it in a blind manner as there is no way to measure if you are making progress or not. You can also add additional DS9097U adapters or other interfaces so each interface has fewer branches. At the extreme you are making a hub out of the PC's serial ports.

Comment

Will MCSTemp support multiple units like that?

Comment

Yes, including the DS9490. It is USB so multiple computer ports can be accomodated by using an USB hub without too much pain. There are some issues with the DS2405 loosing its state when switching between DS9097U adapters that I did not see with DS9490. It may only be with parasitic powered devices. I have tested this a few years back with two or three adapters. I think I allow each adapter to have its own polling rate, but not positive on this.

Comment

A thought.

Now I dont know if this is possible or not or even if it is, just not practical but I have seen similiar approaches to things like this. How about adding the ability to use the hub but have it so it is able to be turned on or off?

If not, I will just go with the two switch route and return the hub.

Just a thought.

Comment

The design approach used to manage the hub, and 1-wire in general, is totally different between xapmcs1wire and mcsTemperature. xapmcs1wire was developed based upon lessons learned from mcsTemperature. It is just too much to change even if I took xapmcs1wire and embedded it in mcsTemperatue.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                  You can also add additional DS9097U adapters or other interfaces so each interface has fewer branches. At the extreme you are making a hub out of the PC's serial ports.
                  Can I really add multiple DS9097U adapters to mcsTemp? Will I be able to control each one's polling rate? I was thinking of seperating my one wire devices into 2 nets. One would be simply sensors that are polled at the rate in the setup. The other net would be for switch I/O type devices like DS2405/06. They would be periodically polled and the switches would only be driven as outputs once conditions were met from the input sensors and possibly temperature sensors.

I am new to scripting and haven't actually got this working yet. I am assuming I can command a DS2405 switch on or off the same as any other device in HS. If I dedicate other DS2405 switches as input sensors only and the database is told they are not outputs, will their status on the devices page show up as on or off, true or false, if they are polled periodically.

Comment

Yes you can use multiple adapters at different rates. You can also poll the DS2405/DS2406 inputs at a different rate from other sensors on the same DS9097U.

Comment

Can I use multiple Temp05's or a Temp05 and a Temp08?

Comment

You can with xapmcsTemp0x and I believe Jim Doolittle provides support to multiple Temp08s. From my memory mcsTemperature only supports a single Temp05/08 interface.

Comment

Working...
                        X