mcsTemperature not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsTemperature not responding

Just in the last week I have noticed that periodically mcsTemperature will quit for no reason. There is no log event. There is really no indication at all until I try to look at the mcsTemperature link in the links bar. XP task manager shows it as not responding.

I am running 5.13.5.

I have been using this plug-in for several years and this is the very first problem I have seen.

Has anyone else seen anything like this lately?

look at taskman/processes tab. if you see getwebfile.exe, not the mcstemp goes norespond, only the get web forecast data...

Comment

If it shows in Task Manager then it is still running, but being blocked by waiting for something to finish. Look first at external things that it is managing such as 1-wire or internet data download. The general debug output will not capture this problem directly, but there may be some hint based upon the last line in the debug output.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        If it shows in Task Manager then it is still running, but being blocked by waiting for something to finish. Look first at external things that it is managing such as 1-wire or internet data download. The general debug output will not capture this problem directly, but there may be some hint based upon the last line in the debug output.
        Michael:

I think I found the culprit and it was me.

I have been teaching myself vb and asp.net using Visual Web developer 2008 express. Occaisionally it will get a little unstable and I'll have to close it down and restart it. I have now seen that everytime I have had to do that, mcsTemperature will stop responding soon after that.

I now close out of homeseer and restart it after every session of running VWD08 Express.

Sorry for the alarm

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobfii View Post
          Michael:

I think I found the culprit and it was me.

I have been teaching myself vb and asp.net using Visual Web developer 2008 express. Occaisionally it will get a little unstable and I'll have to close it down and restart it. I have now seen that everytime I have had to do that, mcsTemperature will stop responding soon after that.

I now close out of homeseer and restart it after every session of running VWD08 Express.

Sorry for the alarm

Bob
          Looks like maybe I spoke too soon. I am still seeing mcsTemperature not responding even though I have not done anything with VWD08.

I have an idea hat I would like to run by you. What I have been playing with is some one-wire devices. I have an asp.net web page and code that simply interrogates the one wire network, displays the address, container type and part name of the items found. I then can select one of the devices found and based on it's container type, setup a Homeseer device and event to exercise the 1wire device.

I have 2 USB onewire adapters on my system. USB2 is running all my mcsTemperature devices. USB3 is my test 1-wire network. In order to get my stuff working, I had to include this line in the HomeSeer2 settings.ini:

ScriptingReferences=com.dalsemi.onewire;onewireapi.net.dll,c om.dalsemi.onewire.adapter;OneWireAPI.NET.dll,com.dalsemi.on ewire.container;OneWireAPI.NET.dll

After debugging everything in VWD and then trying to run strictly in the Homeseer environment, nothing worked until I added these references to the ini file. Could they be causing mcsTemperature some issues? Just a thought. I have removed that line from the settings.in file and will monitor further.

I am real new to all this object oriented programming so I may still be the culprit. Eveytime I create a device or event while debugging, the last thing I do before quitting is to delete the events and/or devices created, then restart homeseer.

I have 30 years experience designing all kinds of network equipment (LAN and WAN) and used to do a lot of programming, but back in those days it was all assembly.

Comment

Assure your drivers are V4.00 (install filename install_1_wire_drivers_v400.msi). This is the Latest version that is backward compatible.

I do not know how the owapi drivers manage the second adapter indpendently of the first. mcsTemperature manages multiple adapters, but it expects exclusive use. It would seem like an isolation approach would be to not use the second adapter and see if the problem goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
              Assure your drivers are V4.00 (install filename install_1_wire_drivers_v400.msi). This is the Latest version that is backward compatible.

I do not know how the owapi drivers manage the second adapter indpendently of the first. mcsTemperature manages multiple adapters, but it expects exclusive use. It would seem like an isolation approach would be to not use the second adapter and see if the problem goes away.
              Thanks for the reply.

I have the latest drivers loaded, actually V4.00 Beta2, or at least they were. I understand what your're saying about the owapi managing the second adapter, but in my case, whenever I get finished with a debug session, and delete any Homeseer device or event created during the session, I also unplug the second USB adapter and then exit HS and re-start HS. I am trying to put the system back the way I found it before I started learning to custom program. I was always doing all of that except I still the reference loaded in the ini file in the past.

You bring up another question though. You said that mcsTemperature expects exclusive use. For my adapter on USB3 I only set the adapter to exclusive use while I am actually communicating with a 1wire device, then I reset it. I don't know if I read it somewhere in the api but I thought that was the way to use it. Is there a problem setting and resetting exclusive use of my adapter?

I'll continue to monitor. Please don't get me wrong. I don't believe for a moment that this is an mcsTemp problem. As I said earlier, I have been using your program for several years and have never had any issues. I am just trying to figure out what is correct and what works.

Bob

Comment

More information on this problem

I have been doing some more research into what may be causing my problem.

I have determined that if the ScriptingReference line I added in the settings.ini file is there, mcsTemp will stop responding. If it is out, mcsTemp runs just fine. I have had several discussions with Rich at Homesser and he is stumped.

I have asked Maxim if there might be a problem with two different programs sharing a common dll even though they are two distinct networks. No repsonse from them yet.

I do have a question based on your last reply. How do you run mcsTemp and mcsSprinkler on the same machine? Isn't that similar to what I am trying to do?

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X