Biblical Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biblical Flood

This probably has nothing to do directly with mcsTemperature, but I'm turning here as this is where the 1-Wire experts hang out.

Starting yesterday, my AAG rain counter has been going snakey at random intervals. At one point yesterday afternoon, HS announced that we'd had over 130,000 millimeters of rain during the day, and caught my attention. At this rate I should have been blowing bubbles. I corrected the count in the mcsTemp config file, but then noticed that the count was still going haywire at a rate of more than 1,000,000 mm of rain per day. I shut down and restarted HS, corrected the count once more and the problem went away for a while. This occurred again once more during the day and again over night. Each time it was necessary to restart HS to stop the flood.

I do have a HobbyBoards counter to install in the RG, but now with 20cm of snow on the roof which fell Friday night it's unlikely I'm going up there now until spring. This is the first snowfall the RG has seen, but it has been exposed to sub-zero temperatures many times before. I would think the snow would simply plug the RG until it melts so the gauge shouldn't be tipping at all.
    All other devices on the 1-wire network are working properly. The RG is the last device on the string.
    Is there anything I might be able to check from the ground?
    Nothing has been touched in weeks with the exception of upgrading mcsTemp to the latest version one week ago. Again, I hadn't noticed a problem until yesterday.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Is only the rate going astray or is the rainfall amount also spiking on the charts? The rate should be self-correcting, but if the rate becomes very high it could take awhile. I forget if I have averging on rates for mcsTemperature.

Comment

No, the amount is going nuts as well. Tonight, it's non stop. I'm wondering if perhaps the tipper has frozen in place next to the reed switch causing it to bounce. The temperature is due to go above zero tomorrow, and rain, so if that's the case, it may cure things.
      I've tried going back to version 5.13.0.5 from 5.14 just in case. I didn't really expect it to help and naturally it didn't.

Comment

You can look at the IO window to see the raw traffic, but likely will be the same if your counts are also increasing dramatically.

Comment

The temperature rose above zero this afternoon, and is supposed to stay warm for a few days. Coincidentaly?, the rampant count seems to have stopped at the same time. I'll give it a couple of days before I try climbing the ladder to the roof to replace the board, but I'm thinking the RG was somehow plugged with snow or ice and was bouncing on the reed switch as I mentioned.

Comment

Two days since the thaw, and so far no more rampant counts.

Comment

Working...
            X