Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista yuck

Hi

I am trying to get mcsTemp to work on Vista. (Vista Sucks but I am stuck with it)

How can I get the drivers to install properly and stop getting unending error messages and files constantly reinstalling.

One error message is HRESULT-2147221164

Any help would be great since I am about to loose it and damage something

Thanks

Greg

If you are trying to use mcsTemperature as the 1-wire interface then it will not be possible under Vista. It requires a conversion of the plugin to .NET because MSJVM is not available under Vista and mcsTemperature uses the 1-wire drivers that require MSJVM. There is a .net 1-wire plugin available for this function and it is free. The other capabilities of mcsTemperature should be available under Vista.

Comment

Not good.

yes I was trying to use it for that.

What options do I have if any.

Thanks

Comment

mcsTemperature has many capabilities only one of which is a 1-wire interface. As I mentioned previously there is a 1-wire plugin written in .NET that you can use to provide this function. You still have the charting and control provided with mcsTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by remle View Post
          What options do I have if any.
          You could install Virtual PC or VMware on the Vista box and run an XP image as a client under VPC or VM. That would allow you to get the 1-wire drivers going.

Regards
          Nicolai
          Nicolai L

Comment

Michael,

Don't tell my Vista HomeSeer PC that, because I've been running mcsTemperature as part of my vista setup for quite some time, 8 months, a year, something like that. no problems whatsoever. I happen to really like vista, but maybe i've been lucky.

Is it possible I have some other Java installed that works?

Ian

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            If you are trying to use mcsTemperature as the 1-wire interface then it will not be possible under Vista. It requires a conversion of the plugin to .NET because MSJVM is not available under Vista and mcsTemperature uses the 1-wire drivers that require MSJVM. There is a .net 1-wire plugin available for this function and it is free. The other capabilities of mcsTemperature should be available under Vista.
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

DallasSemi wrote their drivers to take advantage of some features of MS JVM and those are not availalbe in the Sun version. My understanding of the current version of the drivers is that they are based upon .NET and not dependent on MS JVM.

I was told by other users on the message board that mcsTemperature does not work with 1-wire when the latest DallasSemi drivers are installed. I cannot recall if I confirmed that or not.

Eventually I expect to migrate the plugin to .NET and that would resolve the problem as well as long term support. I've got two plugins converted now and it becomes easier as more experienced in that environment is obtained. I did try last year with mcsTemperature, but the platform I was running on compbined with the size of the plugin made it so slow to work that it was not practical to continue.

Comment

a little more

I actually can run onewire under some apps and the dallas java app works fine as well. I can see the dev problem just because of the sheer variety of OS combinations out there. I do dev work and am not much of a fan of .NET because of its bloated nature.

My problem with Vista is just that it has everything and the kitchen sink plus so much legacy stuff that you are bound to run into problems especially when you aren't expecting it. I am still working on stability problems that make it crash every day and a half or so (which you don't want if it is running HVAC). One of my servers running win2k has been up for 243 days without a hitch.

I would be happy to beta some .Net versions when the time comes.

Thanks everyone and I will keep working away at the problem as time permits.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                X