Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind Direction

Michael,
    I've just had to replace my weather station and naturally, I'm having some difficulty.
    I've straightened out most of the devices, with the exception of Wind Direction. The only remaining device showing any activity other than the temperature and Wind speeds appears that it may be wind dorection but is showing only On/Off. This is an older Dallas model (dated 1998). Device serial is: 550000000ABE3A12D1.

Any help much appreciated.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Your serial number is a DS2406 which is a dual switch and I do not think that was ever used in the Dallas Wind Direction instrument.

I see WindDirection in mcsTemperature for DS2450 (current AAG design) and DS2408. mcsTemperature only supports the original Dallas wind direction design via the Temp05 and even this I think is with version 4.16 or earlier of the Temp05 firmware.

Comment

I was afraid of that. Once it became obvious the replacement wasn't going to work, I ended up using some mechanical parts from the replacement to repair the original.
      Does, or will mcsTemp support the latest AAG version, WSI603A? I believe it uses a DS2760.
      Last edited by Wadenut; May 17, 2009, 05:07 AM.

Comment

The 2760 is supported as a moisture sensor based upon the hobby-boards design. If you can identify the relationship between the 2760 current measurement and the wind direction then I'm willing to implement it. The DS2450 is the AAG version that is currently implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          The 2760 is supported as a moisture sensor based upon the hobby-boards design. If you can identify the relationship between the 2760 current measurement and the wind direction then I'm willing to implement it. The DS2450 is the AAG version that is currently implemented.
          Unfortunately, all I know is what I've read on the AAG Electronica site (http://www.aag.com.mx/aagusa/index1.html). All of the info is there. You'd be more qualified to interpret it. I understood the DS2450 had been discontinued.

Comment

Quite a bit different that other sensors. First step is to see if we can talk to it. If it sees the 2760 it will try to request the wind information. The only output will be in the HS log. Let it run for a couple iterations and return the log output. At this time I'm just trying to see if I can communicate with it.

Rename your hspi_mcsTemperature.exe and used the attached for the test. Restore the original when done.
            Attached Files

Comment

Um, I don't actually have one yet. I was waiting to see if it could be suppoted before spending another $100 US. Right now my TAI8515 is holding on, but it's only a matter of time. Others will be in the same boat enentually too. Is there another alternative???
              I wonder if AAG might send you, the developer, an evaluation unit. A stretch, but it can't hurt to ask.
              It is 1-Wire, so chances are we'd get something. If you were to tell me the chances are in our favor, I might go ahead an buy it and become the guinea pig. What the heck, it's only money. I may neen more spare parts anyway

Comment

Another alternative.
                Again, if you believe this is doable, I'd buy the kit and have it sent directly to you for bench testing and s/w development. I think that would be much more efficient than my sending logs once a day. Then, when ready, you could mail it up to me, either usable with mcsTemp, or for parts.

Comment

The software interface is different than with any of the the other products with which I'm familiar and this fist attempt was a discovery step. If the response was as I expected then I understand what to do. If it is not then it becomes a difficult task and there is no support at AAG to ask questions. The AAG site does show a few developers that wrote software for it so you do have some alternatives. Weather-Display is one of them and others have used it with Homeseer. There was another that acts as a server, but I do not know what the clients look like for that software. I do not want to take delivery of the unit as I often travel.

Comment

I'll need to think about it then. Right now, I'm OK. I was thinking of the future.

Comment

DS2760 Weather Station

Michael,

Still interested in attempting to get the DS2760 based AAG WSI603 weather station functioning? I purchased one before I realized it wouldn't work with many of the current plugins. I have it running using AAG's software and a script to read the csv file, but their software is hanging every couple days. No joy.

I'm running mcsTemperature with a Temp08 and 9097U. On the 9097U I currently have two hobby-board IO boards (DS2408 based) and a hobby-boards barometer (DS2438) and they have been working well. I'd like to add the weather station to the end of the chain if you're up for taking a whack at the software.

Here's some information from someone who did this (not homeseer). http://www.lesarbresdesign.info/auto...her-instrument

Also, I've attached the schematic and programming guide from AAG.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The interface is a command - response protocol and not a just a simple reading of a value and doing a conversion. It would be some effort with the hardware and too much effort without it. It is not something I want to undertake.

Comment

I can respect that. Thanks for looking into it!

Comment

Working...
                          X