X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 wire drivers?

Hi,

I'm new on the 1 wire stuff.

I just bought some 1 wire material from Hobbie boards, in order to give it a try

I bought the 6 channel master hub, and some units DS1920 and DS2405

I just installed a very small network with 2 DS1920 and 1 DS2405

I downloaded and installed the 1wire_drivers_x86_V402

After that I launched the Oneviewer exe (V0.3.14.16) and the network is visible; I can see the temperatures; everything seems OK

I'm using mcsTemperature 5.16.02

The problem: In the setupform after enabling the DS9x9x I got a message: "1 wire drivers to be downloaded (2Mb) and installed to support DS9x9x interface (...)"

...but the drivers are already installed and working!

I tried to poll for 9x9x ports, but no answer; I put the com port number (7) , but also it didn't work!

I also tried legacy drivers and updating the JVM, but without success (...)

I'm missing something? ... Can someone help?

Sorry; I mean DS1820

Comment

You have two issues for mcsTemperature. The first is that it does not have the logic to support the DS2409 (1-wire hub switch) and the second is that the drivers it uses are those based on the Microsoft Java VM which is the V4 and not V4.02 drivers. xapmcs1Wire supports the 1-wire hub, but it also uses the earlier drivers. If the 1-wire drivers are not installed then mcsTemperature should download the version that it is able to use, but you also need the MS JVM which may not be installed on your computer depending upon the operating system that you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        You have two issues for mcsTemperature. The first is that it does not have the logic to support the DS2409 (1-wire hub switch) and the second is that the drivers it uses are those based on the Microsoft Java VM which is the V4 and not V4.02 drivers. xapmcs1Wire supports the 1-wire hub, but it also uses the earlier drivers. If the 1-wire drivers are not installed then mcsTemperature should download the version that it is able to use, but you also need the MS JVM which may not be installed on your computer depending upon the operating system that you are using.

Michael,

1. In the master hub documentation, it says: "(...) The master hub uses the same "Dallas chip (DS2480B) as the serial adapter, and so will be supported by any software that supports the DS2480B or the DS 9097U (...)"

2. I just tried V4 and I have Java Version 6, update 15 from Sun. I'm using Windows XP Prof. SP2, but mcsTemperature still didn't download anything

I'm a little bit confused...

Comment

look for a java install like msjavx86.exe, Sun wont work at all.
          Stuart

Comment

Stuart is correct about the JVM. It needs to be the Microsoft one as the Sun version does not have featured required by the Dallas drivers. I have typically found the downloads to be a base install followed by an update. A browser/google search should find what you need. There are also some links that others have provided on this message board to places where they have found it. It was anti-trust ruling that prohits Microsoft from distributing it with new Windows sales.

If you connect to the DS2480 (straight through) and not the hub branches then mcsTemperature should be able to see those sensors, but it will not be able to see any of the devices connected through the 6 hub branches.

Comment

Stuart is correct about the JVM. It needs to be the Microsoft one as the Sun version does not have featured required by the Dallas drivers. I have typically found the downloads to be a base install followed by an update. A browser/google search should find what you need. There are also some links that others have provided on this message board to places where they have found it. It was anti-trust ruling that prohits Microsoft from distributing it with new Windows sales.

If you connect to the DS2480 (straight through) and not the hub branches then mcsTemperature should be able to see those sensors, but it will not be able to see any of the devices connected through the 6 hub branches.

Hello!

Thanks for the answers.
              I will try to solve the JVM issue.

Q1: That means I should uninstall the Java from sun?

Q2: Concerning the Hub, I can't easily connect directly to the DS2480 (as you can see in the attached schematics. I also would like to use the hub, in order to avoid reflexion problems

Then

....if I understood correctly, if I solve the JVM question and I install the drivers V4, I can use xapmcs1Wire to get the data temperature from the DS1820 units through the hub and (I don't know very well how...) have the DS1820 temperature data recorded on mcstemperature. Also I would have the data recorded on an hs virtual device.

Is this true?

...and concerning the DS2405, xapmcs1Wire will support it (read/write) Can I do the same above mentioned?

Q3: If I decided to "forget" the hub, what interface do you think I would need to buy (at this time I need support for the DS1820 and DS2405), but I would like to have a flexible system.

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1511

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1560
              Attached Files

Comment

The can have both Sun and MS JVM instaled. You will need the Sun one for the One-wire Viewer.

The 1-wire master hub is a good solution. It is too bad that Eric did not not design a expansion ability such as he did with his 1-wire hub so you could connect directly to the DS2480B. If you want alternate interface hardware for the DS2405 and temperature sensors then the DS9097U is the likely choice. There are other interfaces, but the DS9097U is the best supported one. One such alternate is the HA7 line from Embedded Data Systems. UltraJones has a plugin that can talk to this interface, but he has a limited number of sensors that are supported. You would need to check on that forum if the DS2405 is one that is supported.

If you stay with the master hub then you will use your LAN to communicate between xapmcs1wire and Homeseer. Most will run both of these on the same computer. The communication protocol used is xAP so you will need mcsXap plugin for Homeseer and xapmcsHub application to route the xAP LAN traffic. These are all posted on this message board. The other tool you will want is the xAP Viewer (not to be confused with 1-wire viewer). It shows the LAN xAP traffic to help understand when something does not work. It is from Edward Pearson's site in the UK.

Take a look at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113939 for some startup documentation. Many have this setup and there are several discussion threads on it. Telefragger has also published a dummies guide. You can do a search and should find it as well.

Wadenut is a heavy user of the DS2405. If you read some of his threads you may learn something about working with it.

Comment

Comment

Telefragger has also published a dummies guide. You can do a search and should find it as well.
                    Links are dead. If anyone can repost... TIA

Comment

Working...
                    X