Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three wish list items for charting

Three new options that would be helpful in mcsTemp charting:

1) ability to set the order in which items in a table and graph are drawn.

2) ability to select whether a discrete device is displayed as 'Minutes On' or 'On/Off' in all graphs. Currently the '6hr' graph displays 'On/Off' as I need, but all longer display periods are hourly accumulations of 'Minutes On.' I have a some discretes that do not change frequently and being able to display them as a line graph instead of a filled 'Minutes On' would be a big help.

Also, I find that if a discrete device is 'On' for a long period, it will not be displayed as 'On' in the graphs until after it has turned 'Off.' Because I have several devices with long periods between changes I get many invalid charts.

3) ability to select the values used for 'On' and 'Off' for a discrete device when charting. This will allow one to select whether the On/Off graph fills the vertical axis of the display or just a small portion, and where it is located.
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

#2 is one I recognize is significant. The other two are just UI options that need to be done at the lowest level since they are sensor-by-sensor based.

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
      Three new options that would be helpful in mcsTemp charting:

1) ability to set the order in which items in a table and graph are drawn.

2) ability to select whether a discrete device is displayed as 'Minutes On' or 'On/Off' in all graphs. Currently the '6hr' graph displays 'On/Off' as I need, but all longer display periods are hourly accumulations of 'Minutes On.' I have a some discretes that do not change frequently and being able to display them as a line graph instead of a filled 'Minutes On' would be a big help.

Also, I find that if a discrete device is 'On' for a long period, it will not be displayed as 'On' in the graphs until after it has turned 'Off.' Because I have several devices with long periods between changes I get many invalid charts.

3) ability to select the values used for 'On' and 'Off' for a discrete device when charting. This will allow one to select whether the On/Off graph fills the vertical axis of the display or just a small portion, and where it is located.
      Mark,

I'm not familiar with mcsTemp charts so I won't comment about it. Because I am very familiar with Microsoft Excel, I use it for all my charting needs. I find it extremely flexible and because of the huge user base you can Google almost anything and you will get dozens of tips. And I really like using macros to automate the charting process. Below is one of several Excel charts that is generated daily by Homeseer and posted on my Homeseer web page. This is a fully automated process!

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Steve Q
      Attached Files
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Several years ago XLGraph was placed in the script library. I think it was Jim Sneed. I used it for my performance monitor script/utility. It is functional but requires more user setup and expertise than a typical user. For an expert with Excel it is easy to go through the steps necessary to generate a graph.

The charting provided with mcsTemperature attempts to reduce the knowledge required to produce graphs so one does not need to be familiar with the underlying charting technology, but only how to pick and choose from a browser page. The charting is easy, the interaction with the user to make the chart setup easy is what is difficult.

Comment

Working...
        X