No announcement yet.

Pros & Cons of moving off version 4?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pros & Cons of moving off version 4?


    What are the pros and cons and "watch-out-fors" in moving from version 4 to version 6?

    I wasn't keen to move to version 5 after reading in some posts (a while ago now) about how the web based interface was in general not as good as the v4 interface because of the inherent differences (not the developer's fault).

    I wondered if, with time and version 6 now out, the inherent shortcomings have been mitigated somewhat. Am also worried that I might be facing a tough upgrade the longer I wait (and may already have waited too long?). Although v4 hasn't failed me yet (I just upgraded to HS a week ago), am worried that it will fail or prevent me from moving forward at some point and that I might want to bite the bullet now for strategic reasons.

    Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

    I moved and it wasn't problematic for me.

    My settings were mostly imported and I did not reset it to scratch. It took a bit to get used to the web interface.
    Last edited by Pete; August 22, 2010, 08:02 PM.
    - Pete

    Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 20.04 / VB W7e Jetway JBC420U591
    Fanless IntelĀ® Celeron N3160 SoC 8Gb
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 20.04/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets

    X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant


      The only poroblem area that I am aware is the Temperature Events and especially the Temperature Actions. A lot of time has passed so the automatic update features build into the plugin may no longer function because they are expecting an orderly progression and not a major step. It has been too long to remember specifics.


        How's the leap for the logic around trigger conditions? That's all I use with respect to temperature events; have not taken advantage of temperature actions. I also use the plug-in to read my sensors hanging off a Temp08 (firmware v1.12, I believe) and get weatherxml data.


          The Event UI changed significantly. Unless there is a reason to update for a new capability then I would not take the risk


            Thanks for the advice.