Best way of graphing daily water usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way of graphing daily water usage?

I have a water meter with a pulse output shown as an HS on/off device. I also have an event that detects status changes in the pulse output and adds 1 to the DeviceString and DeviceValue for another device, thereby giving me a counter.

I have added the counter device as a water flow sensor to MCSTemperature, and get an incrementing graph.

Is there a way of getting the daily water usage, and also the instant rate?

What is the difference between water flow and water flow rate?

Thanks!

Bump. Any one have any ideas for getting MCSTemperature to graph daily usage? The pulse is counted using an input from a Netiom XAP IO board and MCSxap

Comment

When mcsTemperature reads the pulse counter input it will do the daily accumulations and this will be in the water use device. It will also compute the derivative (rate of change) and this will be stored in the water rate device. Since you are interfacing to mcsTemperature as a virtual device then you need to add the logic to your devices to reset the counts at midnight and compute rates if desired.

Comment

Hi Michael, I don't have a water use or water rate device. Can you confirm there there is no way to get these auto calculated devices with a mcsXAP device as the pulse device?

Comment

mcsTemperature will do conversions from raw measurements to various types of devices such as water use measurements when it does the interface of the hardware. This is typically a 1-wire interface, but can also be a file in csv format. The transformation is done at the time the virtual device is populated. If mcsXap or any other route within Homeseer is used to populate the virtual device then that source needs to do the conversion into the desired units.

I have never tried it, but I suspect you can create a file and every time you read your pulse counter you write the value to the file. You setup mcsTemperature to read from the file at some periodic rate. The template you create to do this will identify the device as a water counter or similiar such as Gallons Today type device from the list of supported device types in the mcsTemperature manual.

Once you go to all the trouble of managing the .csv file, it may be just as easy to create a new virtual device and an event that updates it periodically based upon the change throughout the day of the one counter you already have implemented.

Comment

Working...
          X