Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mcsTemp can not read new WeatherXML 3.0 xml file!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcsTemp can not read new WeatherXML 3.0 xml file!

I just upgraded to version 3.0 of WeatherXML and see that forecast data retrival is now broken in mcsTemperature. I use 'Get data from weathercom.xml file' rather than having mcsTemp get info directly from NOAA or Weather.com. I am assuming this is because the xml file is now NOAA formatted data rather than Weather.com.

I am getting these in the HS log every time mcsTemp goes to retrieve data from the weathercom.xml file:
    Code:
    11/4/2011 1:25:48 PM  mcsTemperature  WeatherXML on line 710 Object variable or With block variable not set
    I have disabled the logging of forecast data in mcsTemp and can not add these devices as sensors because the new version of WeatherXML includes more data in the device strings than just the value. For example, the "Forecast Current Temperature" device string for me reads: so I'm not sure how the mcsTemp logger will deal with this.

Any chance you might be able to look at an update to handle the NOAA xml file instead of Weather.com format?
    Last edited by mfisher; November 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM.
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

As I posted over in the Weather XML sub-forum:

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I run a tried and true old version (1.7.44) of HomeSeer with an old tried and true version of mcsTemperature and WeatherXML. After many, many years of faithful service I've lost my weather forecasting... which unfortunately means that other things (like humidifier control) aren't working either.

If you get this figured out... I'll be watching!

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
      I have disabled the logging of forecast data in mcsTemp and can not add these devices as sensors because the new version of WeatherXML includes more data in the device strings than just the value. For example, the "Forecast Current Temperature" device string for me reads: so I'm not sure how the mcsTemp logger will deal with this.

Any chance you might be able to look at an update to handle the NOAA xml file instead of Weather.com format?
      If all you need is just the actual number for a device there are two ways to get it. When I set the devicestring to " ", I also set the devicevalue to 44. In addition the 44 is stored in the weathercom_xml.ini file.
      Any value you see in the virtual devices or on the weatherxml web pages is coming from the ini file where it is stored during the xml file import.

Michael, the other difference for weatherxml now is the users have a choice of where to get their data so the NOAA one may not always exist. I am also using World Weather Online and soon Weather Underground. I use a different name for each source so the one common place to grab the data no matter what the source is, would be the ini file. If you are interested in tapping into the ini file, let me know what values you use and I will tell you how to grab them from the ini file.
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Originally posted by CFGuy View Post
        If all you need is just the actual number for a device there are two ways to get it. When I set the devicestring to " ", I also set the devicevalue to 44. In addition the 44 is stored in the weathercom_xml.ini file.
        Yeah I saw that in your code. Unfortunately, I think mcsTemp pulls values from the device string and not the value - that's why I mentioned it.

Hopefully Michael can add an option to pull forecast data from your ini and stuff it into the mcsTemp forecast table.

Note to Michael: if you are open to making this mod, I'd also like to request separating the options for creating/updating the forecast devices in HS from storing them in the mcsTemp DB. Since Weather XML will update the device strings and values, having the mcsTemp option to just populate the forecast DB without updating the devices in HS would be a really nice touch!
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

Comment

I'm not certain what the path is for this change. mcsTemperature was originally developed based upon MSNBC feed. Weather.com was added and then later only the raw xml feed data file that was downloaded by WeatherXML. Since WeatherXML no longer populates a XML file with syntax used by Weather.com this avenue is broken. I have all sorts of parsers in mcsSprinklers, but these are all .NET so not a straight forward backward port to VB6. Another consideration is to get data from HS devices rather than from xml files or internet feeds. Forecast data is typically the one that does not have a common approach.

Comment

Micheal,
            I offer this to you.
            If you give me a developers license to activate MCS Temperature and an INSERT query that you want me to use I will add an option to weatherXML to populate the database table.
            Last edited by CFGuy; November 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM.
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone
            Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

mcsTemperature supports SQL Server and Access databases. The table name is "forecast" and the selection of the database and the location of the database are user inputs to mcsTemperature. Default is Access at \data\mcsTemperature.mdb. The field layout is per the attached. The names should be easy to correlate. The icon could be an issue since I suspect the filenames have changed from Weather.com. This means that the user will need to copy the icons from where WeatherXML places them to the \HMTL folder where the other mcsTemperature weather icons are placed. Data is appended to the table at whatever rate is desired. This was hourly, if I recall correctly, when sourced by mcsTemperature.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have the integration with weatherXML and mcsTemperature database working.
                It can do access or SQL Server.

I expect to be able to release it to the updater next week.
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Jeff, did I mention that you're AWESOME?!?
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

Comment

Thank-you for this and the Easter Eggs!
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

There is one change needed in mcsTemperature to deal with the new icon set and path and I will make that change soon as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X