X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logging Xap

Hello,

I would like:

1. to write into a SQL DB all the Xap messages on my network + those sent by homeseer (which are not xap I guess)

2. to build XML files from DB with relevant messages for user depending on pre-established rules

3. to use my db to have a single place with all the events of my system, including homeseer, and Xlobby

I read Michael McSharry and his applications mcsXap, XapmcsDatabase, xapWritelog and XapmscCharts.

Michael (or anyone who know well enough those softwares), can I try to do what I would like to do with those programs? What would you advise me to use, what limitations will I find? I guess I will have to write myself the step tools where a xml file is built?

I'm not english so I apologize if I'm not clear enough, I would be pleased to explain more some details.

Thank you for your help

xapmcsDatabase and xapmsWritelog have logic to decode xAP messages and only record data. The first decodes xapbsc, xap-x10, and weather.report schema. The second is homeseer.event schema.

There may be some applications that you may find via xapautomation.org that will record all messages. I suspect they are more oriented to debugging since in a typical environment there are so many xap messages that a database will become large and sluggish if they are all recorded.

I believe there is no existing code to build xml for the recorded database, but It is something that I was never looking to do so I may not be aware.

Comment

First, thank you for yor answer. To give you the context, here is a part of mail from Kevin Hawkins from Xap mailing list, who advised me to take a look to your work:

IIRC The original xAP Logger was written by 'Ascentium' and used the
      xAP OCX provided by Patrick. Unfortunately it seems that OCX had a
      memory leak under Windows for some people which was never fixed. As a
      result Ascentium no longer provide their applications. I did rewrite
      Ascentiums xAP BSC Mapper to use the mi4 OCX but the other applications
      are now history. I probably have an old copy though if you wanted to
      persevere.

The better news is that I believe Glenn S wrote an application
      called xAP MSDE Logger which may be suitable.. Is this downloadable
      somewhere Glenn ?

Also there is a xAP database application which may provide some of
      what you need. It is available from Michael McSharry over on the
      HomeSeer BBS
      Glenn gave me a dead link and I can't find his software. I would like also to log homeseer.event shema and your application seems to do the both things so it's fine for me. I guess I should find a way to add xap messages that your applications don't record.

I would also write xPL messages (from nabaztags) on the same DB and I already found a software for that.

Concerning the xml files, it's the required for xLobby, so I can't avoid it. It seems to be necessary in order to be able to manage what kind of message I choose, depending on the user.

Comment

Originally posted by Billybobbonnet View Post

Glenn gave me a dead link and I can't find his software.
        Glenn is currently quite active on the xAP Automation Developer list - I assume you have contacted him directly ? If so , and if the link he provided is dead maybe you could ask him to send it directly to you .

As Michael says .. logging all xAP messages will likely create a very large DB , and I would encourage you to filter the messages to those you need to log - for example removing heartbeats, time schema, or other non important devices. I am not sure how easy it will be to customise or augment the supported schema you log via one of the existing application - but that's really what you need. Likely based on 'class' and 'source' .

If you are at all familiar with programming then the various xAP OCX's or xFX Framework (if you use .Net) will all provide a fairly easy way to receive xAP and break the message apart such that it can be logged.

K

Comment

Working...
        X