Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will xapmcsWeatherAWS allow devices in HS2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will xapmcsWeatherAWS allow devices in HS2?

I'd like to create some HS2 devices using WeatherBug parameters. I unsuccessfully tried installing xapmcsWeatherAWS, so couldn't answer the question for myself - and couldn't find anything on the mcsSprinklers site or the Message Board here, either. My installation problem is that the setup won't find local stations. The Data folder appears to have received a downloaded html page/file, but isn't extracting the station info. I haven't tried while running Viewer, so I'm uncertain what's happening at the xap level.
    If it won't allow me to create HS2 devices, I probably would rather go with the UltraWeatherBug PI or one that's available for the Insteon ISY99.

BTW, I promised (maybe threatened?) I'd be back for more help when I last posted in this sub-forum 2/3/10. After all my early travails, my proficiency level with 1wire has improved dramatically. Both McsTemperature and a Hobby Boards LCD gave me a lot of difficulty, but they're running now ( the "Bedroom Buddy" thread in the HS2 Specific sub-forum was a big help with the LCD). I wrote a nifty one-liner for the LCD ( 4x20) that eliminates the seconds from the "now" time string and produces four lines of precisely 20 characters each ( regardless of temperature or humidity etc. readings) using the VB mid() command ( which I'd gladly share if there's any interest). Anyway, thanks for the support out there - And to anyone just starting out - take heart!
    Last edited by millrl; May 7, 2010, 05:54 PM.

xapmcsWeatherAWS has been around a long time and have no reported issues with it. In my case I run it with the setting "as Consolidated Station" so that if my first choice station goes down I get data reporting into HS from my second or third automatically without any changes needed on the HS side.

The program is just a .exe with no specific dependencies other than standard stuff from Windows. There is no installation. Just put the .exe somewhere and run it. The tray will populate and then a setup option is available to select your zip code, update rate and then the stations.

The xAP Message viewer is then used to observe the xAP traffic as a debug diagnositic if you are not seeing the devices as available for selection from HS/mcsXap.

Comment

Once again - it really shouldn't be this hard. I'm getting confident enough to say it AND mean it -- remember, I'm the one who was unable to get xapmcsonewire .NET or xapmcshub running on my Hometroller ( had success with alternatives). So its really not that much of a surprise when the setup option failed to populate. There aren't any places really to "mess up".
      I entered my zip code, left the consolidated and update rate options at the defaults , hit the find local stations, and ... nothing.
      If you have any troubleshooting to suggest, I'd be willing to give it a try.
      Last edited by millrl; May 7, 2010, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X