Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xapmcs1-wire and Windows 7

Hi,
    today I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate on my Homeseer server, which went like clockwork for all but one issue. It's my 1-wire anemometer, based on a DS2423. When in Windows XP, it's discovered and updated every step of the way from the roof all the way into Homeseer.

But in Windows 7, xapmcsHub doesn't "see" (receive?) messages from the DS2423 (it does receive messages from the Wind vane using the same cable and board, so it's not hardware, which will be confirmed in a minute). Likewise, xapmcs1wire (both the VB-based and .NET based) does not get updates from the DS2423.

I know for sure the counter is working, since using OneWireViewer, I can see the count go up (and reverting back to my Windows XP installation after this trail confirmed the unit is working perfectly, since it's updating right now running on WinXP).

So if it's not the hardware, it must be the software. Since it isn't getting to Homeseer, it can't be HomeSeer messing things up. That leaves only the two xap applications. Any idea what could be the cause of this?

Are they not "supported" on Windows 7? Any help would be most welcome.

I just discovered today that there must have been a recent update to W7 that blocks the use of serial ports. I posted recently on a mcsSprinklers thread about the research I did and did seem to isolate to W7 vs. any other contributing factor.

Comment

Hi Michael,

thanks for the reply. What I find strange is that the wind direction is correctly updated. And that's on the same port, the same wire, everything?

Also OneWireViewer running on Win7 is receiving the updates. Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but if this is an issue with Windows 7 not allowing serial comms, shouldn't all updates from all sensors on that specific port be blocked, regardless of what software you're using to read them?

Comment

If you are receiving any 1-wire data then it is not a port/OS problem. There is a Communication page that xapmcs1Wire provides that shows the data returned from each 1-wire device. Look at that page. You can also use the button on the main xapmcs1Wire page to transmit current status of all devices. If your counter has been "A"ccepted then its current value will be transmitted as xapbsc.info message.

Comment

Michael,

the page you are referring to is the "browser" page?
          Because there the devices are listed and "A"ccepted (and the 1-wire unique ID is correct), but there the value isn't updating either. Another thing is, the adaptor (DS9490) isn't automatically detected when you click the button to auto-detect. So I have to manually enter the port (USB2) and the adaptor type (DS9490). On the other hand, I had to do that for my XP install as well, so I don't know if that is normal or not.

O yes, as I build the system using a backup of the full Homeseer installation, one more thing I did both in XP and Win7 was "re-discover" the 1-wire sensors. After that, all three devices (wind speed, gust, direction) showed up fresh in XP, but only direction is discovered in Win7.

On windows 7, only the OneWireViewer shows all the devices, and there it updates as one would expect...

Comment

There are three browser pages provided by xapmcs1wire. The second one is the communications page where the log of 1-wire communications is listed. This is the place to look for what is being delivered by the 1-wire sensor. There are two versions of xapmcs1wire. One uses Microsoft JVM and version 3.x uses Sun/Oracle version. You are probably using Version 3 but want to make certain.

Comment

Working...
            X