Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xapmcsWOL

Hello Michael,

Can you tell me how can I make this work on multiple subnets?

I have 3 subnets on my network. I would like to be able to see what devices are active /ON. The documentation states that it will monitor up to 255 addresses on the same IP as the NIC. Right now I've enabled two NICs to see if it will work but no luck.

Any suggestions would be as always much appreciated.

Best Regards
    Mark

The application manages one NIC and it is the one where xAP traffic is communicated. The NIC will be the first one found or it can be specified in the \Config\mcsXap.ini file where the contents look something like the following. The specific IP will be edited for your situations.

[INTERFACE]
    BROADCASTADDRESS=192.168.0.255
    INTERFACEADDRESS=192.168.0.12

You may be able to do 3 instances (3 folders) of the same application to handle 3 NIC, but never tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      The application manages one NIC and it is the one where xAP traffic is communicated. The NIC will be the first one found or it can be specified in the \Config\mcsXap.ini file where the contents look something like the following. The specific IP will be edited for your situations.

[INTERFACE]
      BROADCASTADDRESS=192.168.0.255
      INTERFACEADDRESS=192.168.0.12

You may be able to do 3 instances (3 folders) of the same application to handle 3 NIC, but never tried it.
      Thanks again Michael it appears to be working. Very, very, very cool!

Comment

If you are going to be sending xAP messages to command WOL or Restart then I will need to update the application to include an instance parameter so the destination address of the xAP message will be unique. Just let me know if you need it.

Comment

If you are going to be sending xAP messages to command WOL or Restart then I will need to update the application to include an instance parameter so the destination address of the xAP message will be unique. Just let me know if you need it.
          Hi Michael,

First of all thanks for pointing me into the xAP direction. Up to now I was using just the WEBControl now I got almost all modules in testing. This is exactly how I feel that automation should look like. At least from the data points perspective. Messages should be sent globally on the network and information is picked up where it needs to be. You did an incredible job!

Back to the question at hand. My thoughts for using the WOL was primarily to sense if the device is on the network and then create events around it.
          So far I got the WOL to work but I still do not see the xAP messages showing the state on the network and can't add them to the HS. The status is showing fine on the WOL web page only.

I did get few problems with multi subnet config on the same node for the WOL, but this is not a big issue. If I need to spin up VM per subnet I am okay with that.
          I need stability to me this is the key.

So I guess for now I would not create work for you and lets just stay where we are and as long the xAP WOL works in a single network config then is all good. But definitely thanks for the offer in extending the support functions.

Can you confirm that xAP device state messages should be broadcasted by the WOL? Or am I chasing something that does not exist. If it does not is this something that could be enabled?

Sorry for the long winded message. I have another question but I will post it in the xapmcschart section.

Thanks again!!!!
          Best Regards
          Mark

Comment

My main purpose for xapmcsWOL was to find what was on the network and be able to send WOL commands. The next step would be to continue to monitor what was identified on the nextwork periodically. This does not exist today. I know UltraJones has done a network plugin that uses various techniques beyond just ping to sniff out what is on the network and does the monitoring with status is HS devices.

Comment

My main purpose for xapmcsWOL was to find what was on the network and be able to send WOL commands. The next step would be to continue to monitor what was identified on the nextwork periodically. This does not exist today. I know UltraJones has done a network plugin that uses various techniques beyond just ping to sniff out what is on the network and does the monitoring with status is HS devices.
              Hi Michael,

Yes I am aware of the plugin that UltraJones made, I actually purchased it. Unfortunately it does not handle multiple subnets at least on the HS3 version. The HS2 version works much better which I also have purchased but this would mean I need to run multiple instances of HS and use xAP to forward messages in between them. I guess if there is no other way then it will have to do. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Working...
              X