Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truncating the xAP sub address

Hello Michael,

I have another question. I am trying to reduce the name context of the xAP devices without manually going to edit within the HS3. Is there a way to automatically reduce the length of the device name.

I've tried to do it via unchecking the boxes in the Subaddress Convention for Homeseer xAP BSC Devices but do not have much luck with that.

I would like to reduce the device name from:

mcs.WebControl.mcsXap:LED FANs-81.xxxxxxxx.Relay

to just LED FANs-81

Is this possible?

I do not see any changes in the names after I change the ticked boxes. I did rediscover and even deleted the xAP databases but there is no change in how the device shows up.

Thanks
    Mark
    Attached Files

You are not going to be able to shorten the names that appear as xAP traffic to the degree that you desire. xAP requires address of Vendor.Application.Location as the minimum. xAPBSC schema requires a subaddress of :subaddress as the minimum. If you were to use the other option for name convention then you could shorten the subaddress to only one component. mcsXap is the only xAP application of mine where you have the ability to select a naming convention.

The original design structure of my xAP applications was developed to support 1-wire devices. A 1-wire device has a unique 16 character identifier. This was used as the middle part of the subaddress. How a devices was used (e.g. Temperature vs. Humidity vs. Relay) was identified as the third part of the subaddress. A name was used for the first part. With this convention the database and the chart had the information necessary to save data in the proper table and chart on the desired axis with minimal setup. Things have evolved since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      You are not going to be able to shorten the names that appear as xAP traffic to the degree that you desire. xAP requires address of Vendor.Application.Location as the minimum. xAPBSC schema requires a subaddress of :subaddress as the minimum. If you were to use the other option for name convention then you could shorten the subaddress to only one component. mcsXap is the only xAP application of mine where you have the ability to select a naming convention.

The original design structure of my xAP applications was developed to support 1-wire devices. A 1-wire device has a unique 16 character identifier. This was used as the middle part of the subaddress. How a devices was used (e.g. Temperature vs. Humidity vs. Relay) was identified as the third part of the subaddress. A name was used for the first part. With this convention the database and the chart had the information necessary to save data in the proper table and chart on the desired axis with minimal setup. Things have evolved since then.
      Thanks Michael,

I will try the other naming option and see how close I can get it to what I would like. I know you had a reason to do it in the way that it has been done I am trying to exploit all of the possible options if they exist.

Thanks again

Comment

Hi Michael,

I've tried the other naming convention option and did not notice any difference. Am I doing something wrong? The old DB was also cleared along with the config file.

Thanks
        Mark

Mark

Comment

did you restart mcsXap after changing it? It only affects the HS devices that are being delivered via xAP using xapBSC schema.

Comment

did you restart mcsXap after changing it? It only affects the HS devices that are being delivered via xAP using xapBSC schema.
            Yes Sir! Restarted the complete system. I did not restart however the source node that provides the Webcontrol and OWserver. I have these on another computer instance. The mcsHub then forwards traffic to the HS3 node with another mcsHub on it along with mcsXap plugin

Mark

Comment

Again, this only affects the non-Xap devices that are sourced by HS. It a device was received from another node into HS via xAP then it will retain the address of the source.

Comment

Again, this only affects the non-Xap devices that are sourced by HS. It a device was received from another node into HS via xAP then it will retain the address of the source.
                Ok, this make sense. thanks for clarifying little more.

Regards
                Mark

Comment

Working...
                X