mcsXap HS3 error messages and lock up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsXap HS3 error messages and lock up

I'm trying to move to HS3 and an essential part of my HS2 setup was mcsXAP.

The HS3 version seemed to work at first, but now it produces several of these error messages every few seconds

"mcsXap HSEvent Line 0 Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length"

After a few hours these error messages appear

"Error Calling HSEvent in plugin mcsXap, Instance :Object reference not set to an instance of an object. "

and

"Warning Plugin mcsXap is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet."

When these messages appear mcsXAP stops responding and it can't be disabled from the Manage Plugins drop down. It is also using 25% CPU. The only way to regain control is to kill it from task manager.

Using HS3 3.0.0.143 and mcsXAP 3.0.0.42

It is likely that some devices have not been assigned a Device Code. It would make my debug easier if you have debug enabled for mcsXap and it will contain lines with " EVentCB " that contains the info passed from HS3 to mcsXap. The second text item after it is the DC. I can put checks and protections for this situation, but I would first like to confirm that this is what you are observing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

If not having a device code creates this problem, then that's quite likely to be the issue. As device codes no longer seem to be essential to the workings of HS, I haven't always created them, so several devices don't have them.

Sections of debug log with "EVentCB" in them attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

Give the attached a try. Two things were done. One about use of .length method on the string that may be null which I think was the common issue. I also change the event processing to actually occur in an independent thread to decouple for the HS3 thread that reports the event. This was a guess to try to address the other problem that did not show up immediately. If you have further issue then the debug with a correlation between the time in the debug vs. when issue was detected.

I also started to look at using jQuery for the setup page, but decided to wait so as not to introduce possible other issues until confirmation that the first is resolved.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks very much for the prompt response.

The multitude of error messages have gone; have to see if the non responsiveness reappears.

Comment

I have been having the exact same problem (mcsxap 3.0.0.42) and HS 3.0.0.147 and .148.

mcsxAP plugin was taking up more and more processor time until it crashed. HS keeps running but I can't shut it down. I have to reboot the PC.

Dec-09 5:00:40 p.m. Error Calling HSEvent in plugin mcsXap, Instance :Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
            Dec-09 5:00:30 p.m. Error Calling SetIOMulti in plugin mcsXap:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
            Dec-09 5:00:10 p.m. Error Calling HSEvent in plugin mcsXap, Instance :Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
            Dec-09 4:59:40 p.m. Error Calling HSEvent in plugin mcsXap, Instance :Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
            I'm not sure if it was updating HS3 to version .147 or adding some xAP devices that started causing the problem. But the new devices (mcsWebcontrol devices) did not have device codes assigned.

I have now added device codes and will see how it goes.
            Marty.
            iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Hmmm....so I think I have all the xap devices assigned with device codes but I'm still getting the same problem.

I guess the next step is to install the version of the plugin you posted above. But I'm a little confused as to the versioning. I have version 3.0.0.42, but the version you posted is 3.0.0.33. Is this an older version? I don't want to go back to the level=0 and status not being set to off issues.

Thanks, Marty.

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

I have Linux line and Windows line with different version numbers. I merged the two so the same binary works on either platform, but reverted back to the Linux version number. What is posted has the same code as was in the Windows .4x line and you should move to it.

Comment

Michael,
                  Thanks for the explanation of the version number. I've installed the 0.33 version and will see how it goes.
                  Thanks again for your prompt support.
                  I have a Rain8 and will buy you plugin once I get it installed in order to show my support for your work.
                  Marty

Comment

Hmmmm....so I updated to 3.0.0.33. Now I'm getting this in the log:

Dec-11 10:12:25 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Dec-11 10:12:18 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Dec-11 10:12:13 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Dec-11 10:11:59 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Dec-11 10:11:43 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Dec-11 10:11:29 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Dec-11 10:11:26 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Dec-11 10:11:26 p.m. mcsXap HSEvent Thread Line 0 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                    Not sure what this means. But it's filling up the log.
                    Marty

Comment

That error seems to have gone now. Maybe something I a script I had written.
                      Marty

Comment

I did see your earlier post. The debug information that would correlate the event data with the error message would help isolate the problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X