• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSXAP 3.0.0.57

Hi, Michael

I installed MCSXap HS3 and HS2

I switch ON /OFF a Zwave device on HS3
    I would use MCSXapHS3 ver 3.0.0.57 to control a device on HS2 but it is updated only every 10 minutes. XAP in the viewer, there is no event.

I reinstalled the version 3.0.038 MCSXap and the viewer, I see instantly the event for updating in HS2

First 4 lines are with MCSXap 3.0.038

Les 2 last lines are displayed only if i Send BSC from config page of MCSXap 3.0.0.57

Thanks for your help

Jean-Francois
    Attached Files

No events were being processed from HS3. This should be corrected in .58 http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsXap_3_0_0_58_HS3.zip

Comment

Attached Files
      Last edited by jfla; December 9th, 2015, 06:26 AM.

Comment

My mistake. I had HS3 IP hard coded as 192.168.0.116 rather than localhost for my testing. I reuploaded with this fixed.

Comment

Thanks, Michael

It's Ok, xapbsc.event are send.

Jean-Francois.

Comment

Hi All....

So stupid must be all over me because I cannot find this plug-in anywhere!

Can someone tell me or better yet, respond with a link ?

Struggling big time over making the cut from Windows, HS2, CM11 and Ocelot ( which have been chugging away for 10+ years) to HS3, Z-Wave, Hometroller Linux SEL. Really just looking to the Ocelot to handle all X10 at this point as my CM11As are very unreliable with the new SEL. This was supposed to be easy right?

Thanks,
            j
            Last edited by jmolinario; December 30th, 2015, 11:15 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I have had no luck getting mcsXap into the updater. All the xAP applications that I provide are in the xAP Library on this message board. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=161282 for mcsXap for HS3. The zip file posted is the zip file that is submitted for updater inclusion. If you unzip the inner zip into the HS3 folder then it will appear as a plugin. It may require HS3 restart. For other xAP applications they each should be installed in their own folder as they use common file names and will overwrite each other with setup information.

You also need an xAP hub. One is available in the xAP Library. There is also various xAP setup documents. Some come with specific applications and some are somewhat independent. Most HS3 users have wanted 1-wire (xapmcsOneWire) so most will be oriented to setting up this environment, but apply to any xAP application. Others that have recently implemented xAP with HS3 are the best resource to get novice questions answered.

Comment

Michael, I am using mcsxap plugin version 3.0.0.42. It has been working well and I have not updated to 3.0.0.57 because I have been spending a huge amount of time transitioning from HS2 to HS3. Well, I have pulled the plug on HS2 a month ago, and everything is now running on HS3. My HS3 computer has been crashing about every 4-5 days. Since I am continuously updating HS3, it was pretty much impossible to figure out what was causing the crashes. But I started to notice that my xAP devices stopped working several hours before the computer would crash. Today I was able to get into the computer before it totally crashed. Task Manager indicated the 4 cores of the i5 processor were at 100% CPU utilization. The process using 97% of the CPU was HSPI_MCSXAP.exe*32. The HS3 plugin manager indicated an error message of "Critical: Failed to get interface status. Object reference not set to an instance of an object", for the mcsxap plugin.

I stopped the mcsxap plugin on HS3, but there was no drop in CPU utilization. So I used task manager to end the HSPI_mcsxap.exe process. The cpu utilization then dropped to a normal level of 20%. HS3 continued to run properly. I then tried to restart the plugin but I could not, because HS3 had a message "plugin loaded remotely". I could only restart the xAP plugin by restarting HS3. Upon restarting HS3 and the xAP plugin, everything was working fine.

Another thing I noticed before I forceably closed the plugin, was a large number of mcsxap1wire tray icons (8-10) in the windows 7, pop up tray. I have noticed in the past that these appear whenever mcsaxp1wire restarts. I'm pretty sure that these restarts are related to the plugin problem.

My questions are:
                Are there any changes in plugin version 57 or 58 that might eliminate this problem?
                Is there a way to get rid of the "plugin loaded remotely" error message? This would allow a more graceful way to restart the plugin.

Thanks,
                Steve Q
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

xapmcs1wire attempts to restart when not 1-wire traffic passes through the adapter in 2x the maximum polling interval that was setup. The log output shows information about what is pending to be requested through the adapter. If I recall you had polling rates setup that put the 1-wire utilization near 100% and this stress likely induces the need for restart. Restart is the recovery mechanism to allow xapmcs1wire to wipe the slate clean and keep on going.

mcsXap is primarily a conduit between xAP LAN traffic and HS3 API. If there is no xAP LAN traffic then I would expect the mcsXap process to be very close to 0% CPU with a burst every 10 minutes when it reports out current HS3 device status and every minute when it does its heartbeat.

Your diagnostic tools are xFx xAP Message Viewer to observe the xAP protocol on the LAN and the debug facility within mcsXap to log information. The debug output is what should be provided when you get into a high CPU state to see if there are any hints.

Comment

Thanks for your insights. Yes, I am pushing the limits of 1-wire. But my HS2 setup was working for months at a time with no problems. I was hoping to duplicate this in HS3.

My HS3 setup is much more complex than HS2. I am using 2 Aeon Z-wave energy monitors. So I can decrease my intensity of use of xAP. I will decrease my polling frequency and see if the problem continues.

For the next several months, I will be working on adding the remainder of my HS2 events that I have not yet moved to HS3.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I doubt if the 1-wire polling rate will have a significant impact on xAP traffic. It should only affect the frequency of when xapmcs1wire restarts. mcsXap operation is driven by xAP traffic and likey by the number of event triggered within HS3 as mcsXap needs to evaluate each to assess if an xAP message is needed to notify the network of a change. Depending upon what is causing your CPU use to increase, the addition of new event triggers may cause a more frequent pegging of CPU. HS3 in inherently less efficient than HS2 because it is based upon a LAN/remote model of operation while HS2 is based upon a centralized model. The dynamics of how plugins interact with HS is significantly different between HS2 and HS3.

Comment

MCSXAP 3.0.0.57

Michael, can I spread out the polling so it is not occurring at the same time? I've changed the polling from 15 to 30 seconds. I could also eliminate some devices.

I am rethinking my overall home automation approach. Rather than use HS3 for everything, I am considering using using 2 to 3 low power computers dedicated to certain systems. 1 for energy/HVAC monitoring and control, 1 for lighting/appliance monitoring and control, and a 3rd for audio/tv control. I would use both HS3 and HS2. This approach would probably be more reliable and flexible. I can use JSON to pass info between the computers.

Another approach I am experimenting with, is using a Windows 10 desktop computer to run HS3 24/7 but put it in sleep mode when it is not needed. I found that WOL will bring Windows 10 out of sleep mode really fast and HS3 continues without problems. This approach might work well for Audio/Video applications.

What are your thoughts on this approach?

Steve Q

Comment

Your most dependable system will be the one with the fewest components and the lowest complexity.

With xapmcs1wire you specify a desired polling rate. When that polling interval occurs xapmcs1wire puts all the sensors that are to be polled at that rate into a queue and this queue is work off at the max speed that is supported by the 1-wire adapter/sensors. If another sensor's polling interval occurs while the queue is not empty then it just gets added to the end of the queue. This means that there is no inherent advantage to you trying to cherry pick a polling rate that interleaves well.

What is happening in your situation is that you are asking your set of sensors, in total, to be polled at a rate greater than the bandwidth of the 1-wire. This means that the queue will grow to a maximum that is allowed by xapmcs1wire. From this point forward the queue stays at it approximate maximum allowed size and you no longer have the benefit of multiple poll rates as the high rate sensor just get added to the back of the queue with all the low rate sensors still ahead of it. Somewhere in the process of trying to manage the full queue xapmcs1wire gets out of sync, stops polling and the lack of polling is sensed by the built-in monitor. The monitor forces xapmcs1wire to restart so it has a clean queue and the process resumes.

You can increase the bandwidth of your 1-wire system by using multiple adapters. This would require some rewiring. You can improve the situation by reducing the total polling rate of the composite set of sensors. With multi-rate polling it is a little difficult to calculate, but xapmcs1wire debug output tells you how big the queue is at every time a sensor is added. You can monitor this to get an idea of how big it is getting and adjust polling as desired. With a fixed bandwidth you will need to live with compromises in your update rate.

The 1-wire network can be optimized for certain specific situations to get a higher bandwidth. xapmcs1wire is designed to support a wide variety of sensor types so it operates in a manner that will handle any sensor type that is thrown at it. It does have some optimization such as if all switches are the types that support activity notification then it will send the activity request and look for responses. If any switch does not support it (e.g. DS2405) then it will use the general algorithm of asking each sensor individually for its status. Similar things could be done for A/D devices to provide even more dramatic performance improvement. For example if there are 10 temperature sensors, then the communications could be optimized to send a conversion request so that all sensor will do their conversion at the same time. The conversion takes 1 second so 10 seconds of individual conversions could be compressed down to 1 second. xapmcs1wire will not attempt this type of optimization. It treats each temperature sensor independently.

All of these 1-wire considerations, in my opinion, have no bearing on the operation of mcsXap. I suspect there will be more opportunity for mcsXap to get into a CPU intensive loop with an increase in the number of events that are reported by HS. Yes some of the events will be with changes of values returned from 1-wire sensors, but there are likely more in your system that is generating event triggers. This is only conjecture on my part. I did provide guidance on how you could narrow down what is happening. 1-wire and mcsXap are two relatively independent issues that you will need to deal with separately. The independence that xAP provides becomes a benefit as you have visibility into the individual parts and these parts tend to not propagate a problem because very few dependencies exist.

Comment

MCSXAP 3.0.0.57

Michael, thanks for the in-depth explanation of the XAP polling process. I am struggling to decide what direction I should go. I can turn on debug and spend lots of time trying to interpret the output, or I can make other changes to my setup that could potentially eliminate the problem. My other concern is related to my HS3 computer. I Have multiple devices connected via USB ports to the computer. I am forced to use a USB expansion box. The stability of this approach is questionable. It took me months to get this working. There are lots of Windows drivers involved and I have several USB to serial cables. I am concerned that HS3 and its plugins and my setup are not stable. As I mentioned before, my HS3 computer crashes about once a week.

I am currently out of town. So far HS3 is still up and running. If it is still working when I get back, it will be the first time that HS3 continued to run while I was away!

So many issues! I will keep you posted.

Steve Q

Last edited by Steve Q; January 21st, 2016, 11:19 AM.

Comment

MCSXAP 3.0.0.57

Michael, mcsXap plugin for HS3 stopped working this morning. I am away from home but was able to use MS Remote Desktop to remote into my HS3 computer. Shutting down the plugin and restarting it solved the problem.

Looks like changing the polling time did not help.

I turned on the debug log in the plugin.

Steve Q

Last edited by Steve Q; January 22nd, 2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X