Free HS4 plugin upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free HS4 plugin upgrade

Starting from today (November 1st, 2019), if you buy one of my plugin you will get 2 licenses code: one for HS3 and one for HS4.

I plan to port most of my HS3 plugins to HS4 native plugins, but I can't guarantee any timeframe and I reserve the right to not do it at all for the plugins that have a very small number of users.

Notes:
    • HS3 version of my plugins should work ok with HS4, I haven't tested all of them yet, but the ones I tested did work
    • HS3 version of my plugins will keep being supported until a HS4 version is released
    • Existing users who bought a license before November 1st will be eligible for a discount for a HS4 license of the same plugin. This is not set up yet, and the discount% remain to be determined.

spud

Thanks Spud !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
      Thanks Spud !!!!
      Agreed. Thanks for your continued support of the HS community and your excellent plug-ins.
      My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Not to sound ungrateful, but those of us that supported you at the get go, will end up paying more than those who are just buying now? Seems a little off...
        It's your plugin, however those of us who have been on board since the original release should get the free HS4 plugin, and those just buying now should get a discount; aka $0 on the HS4 'update' for those of us that bought immediately after you created the plugin, and new people full price for the HS3 plugin and a discount for HS4? doesn't that seem a lot more fair? Thank you for your hard work...

Comment

Or another way to look at it...those who've owned the plugin longest have likely received a great deal of benefit from their investment, and have contributed relatively little to more recent feature development--which is considerable IMO. Paying for the upgrade seems fair to me.
          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
            Or another way to look at it...those who've owned the plugin longest have likely received a great deal of benefit from their investment, and have contributed relatively little to more recent feature development--which is considerable IMO. Paying for the upgrade seems fair to me.
            I agree. Though I’m happy there will be an upgrade fee instead of having to purchase again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post

I agree. Though I’m happy there will be an upgrade fee instead of having to purchase again.

I disagree. The persons that owned the PI longest shaped the PI. In my case I have PI"s from other authors where I did a lot of beta testing and making the PI usefull for the community.

---

John

Comment

So who should pay an upgrade fee? The one person that owned the plugin for 3.2 months? Your are making no sense. If you helped with the development then perhaps he will comp you an upgrade fee. If on the other hand you asked for free features to be added, and he added them then he has already done considerable work that you got value from-for free.

Asking for a feature is not the same as developing a plugin.

IMHO. The continuous updates have already greatly exceeded what was paid for if you bought this when it first came out.

But who knows maybe you pm’d with him to test and test and provide insight and make decision on how to implement features. If that’s the case then why are you complaining here? You should be pming and asking for something for your time.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                  So who should pay an upgrade fee? The one person that owned the plugin for 3.2 months? Your are making no sense. If you helped with the development then perhaps he will comp you an upgrade fee. If on the other hand you asked for free features to be added, and he added them then he has already done considerable work that you got value from-for free.

Asking for a feature is not the same as developing a plugin.

IMHO. The continuous updates have already greatly exceeded what was paid for if you bought this when it first came out.

But who knows maybe you pm’d with him to test and test and provide insight and make decision on how to implement features. If that’s the case then why are you complaining here? You should be pming and asking for something for your time.

Let's see it as a maintenance fee. I dont't know the update fee, but assume it is 50% of the initial price. Than the best case the PI was in use for approx. 6 years. This is a maintenance fee of less then 10% each year. For PI's that are actively maintained and features added it is worth it.

---

John

Comment

Upgrade fee to people who already bought the plugin since a long time seems To be the best decision

Comment

I think it's fair to pay for upgrades, regardless of how long one's been using the software. I extensively tried open-source (OpenHAB, HASS) prior to HS, and there's certainly challenges to that model (reliant on community and/or more often self-guided research when issues arise); and support can be rather limited. In the end, I much prefer a paid model that provides direct support channels. Offering a discounted upgrade is standard software industry practice and I have no issues with that. Unless it's literally spelled out in a purchase agreement, there are no guarantees for free future upgrades.

I think most of us have already shelled out cash for the upgrade, and I think it's fair to treat each plugin as it's own piece of software.

Comment

I don't think most of you understood my original post. Those of us that bought the HS3 plugin at full price will have to pay an upgrade fee for the HS4 plugin as well; that is fine by me. However, new people get BOTH plugins HS3 and HS4 for the price of 1 plugin; that means they pay less for both, when those of us that did beta testing and bought immediately pay more. Upgrade fees are fine, but not when the original supporters pay more than the newbies. They should have to pay the same...full price for 1 and a discount for the other; just like me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
                          I don't think most of you understood my original post. Those of us that bought the HS3 plugin at full price will have to pay an upgrade fee for the HS4 plugin as well; that is fine by me. However, new people get BOTH plugins HS3 and HS4 for the price of 1 plugin; that means they pay less for both, when those of us that did beta testing and bought immediately pay more. Upgrade fees are fine, but not when the original supporters pay more than the newbies. They should have to pay the same...full price for 1 and a discount for the other; just like me.
                          We do get your point. You're insisting a brand new customer today should pay full price for an already end of the line product, and then pay again in a few weeks time for the already roadmapped replacement. It just doesn't make sense - this would mean NO new customers until the new version comes out.

How many copies of HS3 do you think they would be selling right now given they have already publicly disclosed the almighty new HS4 is about to come out? None - sales would be dead. Hence they are selling HS3 with a HS4 license, or put another way - you are buying HS4 and getting a copy of HS3 to use in the meantime.

Case in point - I personally have NOT bought one of Spud's plugins BECAUSE it makes no sense to buy an already end of line version right now and they pay for it again in a few weeks time, so I uninstalled the trial and have been waiting. You're entitled to declare that I should buy the out of date version and pay again later, and I am entitled to think you're nuts and instead just wait for the new version. HOWEVER, BECAUSE Spud has addressed this problem he will get a sale NOW which will obviously aid in justifying his development costs. Simple as that.

Comment

Then they should pay the same...aka a discount on the HS3 plugin, like the rest of us.
                            ...or wait for HS4 to use the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMxyzptlk View Post
                              Then they should pay the same...aka a discount on the HS3 plugin, like the rest of us.
                              ...or wait for HS4 to use the plugin.
                              That's not how business economics 101 works, and why companies normally keep new releases a close secret. Sales come to a complete halt when consumers get wind of a new version, and companies have gone bankrupt when sales slowed, but new product launch experienced delays.

The problem is when companies are forced to work with others to ensure their new product launches proper, in HomeSeer case plug-in developers. Apple for example can never keep their next iBleh devices a secret as they have to share dimensions and sensor position with case makers. Those are always first to leak and then the rumor mill starts.

Offering a free upgrade to new version is common practice, and there's always going to be frustration by those who've bought before that date. But that's the same thing as buying anything and seeing it go on sale the next day. To avoid seeing their customers wait forever a lot of companies offer price guarantees that if product goes on sale say within 90 days, you'll get money back. I've claimed that many times myself, and often get an additional 10% discount, because the alternative for company is being forced to go through refund process and then be stuck with open-box item. To counter this being abused, lot of companies that aren't very competitive on prices introduce restock fees.

In most industries new customers are always treated better, because companies make the highest profit then, but it's difficult to persuade users to switch. Check out the offers your phone, cable, internet provider gives out to customers currently at a competitor. Cell phone companies will pay hundreds of dollars to cover early termination fees just to get you to switch, as they know over time they'll recover the cost.

Unless you'd like HomeSeer to go bankrupt, you will appreciate that the route they've taken is a sensible one. Only thing lacking is that they've been selfish and not included plug-in developers in the upgrade pricing process as Spud and others have been forced to come up with their own solutions. More ideal solution would have been to expand HomeSeer store and offer plug-in developers the ability themselves to offer HS3-to-HS4 upgrades for existing, and buy HS3-plugin-now-get-HS4-free-later offers to avoid a stop in sale.

One developer pulled all his plugins from store for different reasons and now some users are upset that they have to wait. Guess that's the alternative you'd like to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X