Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of digital inputs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Number of digital inputs

    I'm looking at the ADIO-100 as a replacement for an Ocelot system. I see that it has 8 analog and 8 digital inputs. All of my inputs are dry contacts. Is there a way to configure the analog inputs to simply detect contact closure so it will have 16 digital inputs?

  • #2
    Originally posted by DC View Post
    I'm looking at the ADIO-100 as a replacement for an Ocelot system. I see that it has 8 analog and 8 digital inputs. All of my inputs are dry contacts. Is there a way to configure the analog inputs to simply detect contact closure so it will have 16 digital inputs?
    I would strongly recommend you run as fast as you can in another direction

    Get an Ardunio, it's much, much more flexible and reliable. Pricewise, it will be close to the same or less. I had nothing but problems with my ADIO, particularly the plugin.

    Z

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the advice. Can you post a link to the unit you're talking about? I've googled it but have only found what appears to be citcuit boards for a DIY device. I'm looking for a complete solution.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DC View Post
        Thanks for the advice. Can you post a link to the unit you're talking about? I've googled it but have only found what appears to be citcuit boards for a DIY device. I'm looking for a complete solution.
        Depends on what you mean by "Complete solution". Any of the Ardunio's work, but I use the Mega 2560. You can find it in a lot of places (Amazon, etc). I chose the USB connection for mine since it happens to sit near the HS3 server. You can also get a Enet "shield" (add on board) if you want to run it that way instead. I believe they are POE capable. Next time I need some "remote" I/O that's what I'll be using.

        The Ardunino plugin handles most of what you need to do config wise (or helps you). There is a bit of a learning curve but not all that difficult, so it may not be as complete a solution as you're looking for.

        Visit the Ardunio plugin forum here on the HS3 board and you'll get a lot more info on it.

        Z

        Comment


        • #5
          Here still have the old Ocelot stuff (duplicates of HW now) but haven't used it in a very long time. (early 2000's). Old stuff, well built and continues ticking....just fine.

          I did notice that Rich posted the basics / old HS2 plugin stuff here if you want to tinker with it.

          Ocelot stuff
          - Pete

          Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

          X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

          Comment


          • #6
            Looking at the reviews on Amazon for the Arduino 2560, it appears that it's easy to inadvertently get ahold of a counterfeit knock-off. Any hints on how to avoid that?

            By DIY, I meant it looks like it's just a circuit board. No case. So, mounting it neatly will be a challenge.

            What is meant by "sketches". I see that term used in the Arduino forum.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DC View Post
              Looking at the reviews on Amazon for the Arduino 2560, it appears that it's easy to inadvertently get ahold of a counterfeit knock-off. Any hints on how to avoid that?

              By DIY, I meant it looks like it's just a circuit board. No case. So, mounting it neatly will be a challenge.

              What is meant by "sketches". I see that term used in the Arduino forum.
              Yes, everything on the Adrunio is open source, so anyone can build one. I use SunFounder, but you can also go directly to the Arduino store as well.

              You can get cases, MANY different shields, etc. It's a pretty flexible device.

              Sketches are basically programs/scripts written in the Ardunio IDE language. Visit arduino.cc for a lot more info.

              Z

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Here still have the old Ocelot stuff (duplicates of HW now) but haven't used it in a very long time. (early 2000's). Old stuff, well built and continues ticking....just fine.

                I did notice that Rich posted the basics / old HS2 plugin stuff here if you want to tinker with it.

                Ocelot stuff
                There are actually 2 plugins for the Ocelot under HS3. Only one has IR support. I'm still using mine for I/O and it never skips a beat. Probably the most reliable hardware I have owned for HA stuff.
                Jon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mine frequently (several times a year) have the I/O chips zapped by lightning. I keep a supply on hand and just replace them when it happens. But it's a hassle. And now I have one SECU16 that isn't recognizing I/O on one of the ports. I haven't completely given up on it but I would definitely change if I could find something that would work reliably and wouldn't be so much hassle to keep running. Sounds like the ADIO-100 isn't that something.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X