OneWire reporting and error log problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OneWire reporting and error log problem

I've been struggling to figure out why my DS18B20 sensor did not appear to be working. No device was created for the temperature so I assumed something wasn't working corrently. After re-starting HS3 I went to the Arduino plugin screen and turned on error logging. After 5 min. or so I turned it off and looked at the file. To my surprise there was my DS18B20, reporting a temperature!

So this brings me to issue #1: Why am I not seeing a device? According to the documentation there must be a change in value for it to create a device, but I definitely changed its temperature and nothing was created.

Issue #2 is a side effect of the above efforts. I can create ONE error log from the plugin, but subsequent attempts fail. I pulled up the directory where the error log is stored and watched as I created the log. The first time, it creates a zero-byte file when I first check the box, then after un-checking the box it took a few seconds and then the file size jumped up and the log was ready. The next time(s), it creates the zero-byte file at the time I check the box, but after I un-check it it never fills it. I've tried multiple times and it appears to be broken after one use. Restarting HS3 is the only way I can get it to work again.

Thanks for any direction on these two issues!

Do you have the do not create onewire checkbox ticked in the plugin config page as this would cause your problem?

I have never seen the problem with the logging. What version of the plugin are you on and what OS are you using?

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Also check the device filter in the device management page as people in the past have filtered them out and not noticed.

Greig.
      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
      Scripts =
      Various

Comment

Greig,
        Thanks for the quick reply.
        I'm thinking you must have hacked into my computer and fiddled with something, because lo and behold the temperature showed up when I checked it just now. I'm 100% certain the "Arduino One Wire" device wasn't present earlier today but now it is. I'll start adding devices to the bus and see how that goes.

As far as the log file, I am using Windows 7 and the Arduino plugin is 1.0.0.36

This problem is less of an issue now, but I'm sure I'll want to see the file again some time. Let me know what to do to help diagnose it and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks!
        Jeff

Comment

I highly recommend the beta 1.0.0.131 at the bottom of the management page under "Beta". Greig has made substantive improvements to the plug-in and it has been rock solid for me for months. It is much more reliable on maintaining connections to the boards.
          Randy Prade
          Aurora, CO
          Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. It took a bit of trial and error but I seem to have things working with the beta build you suggested. Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
            X