Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting the NodeMCU

Hi Greig,

just connected a NodeMCU following the instructions in the doc provided with the plugin:
    NodeMCU Connections:
    Node MCUL Pin > LCD
    GND > GND
    VCC > VIN (this pin gives you 5v from the usb)
    SDA > D2
    SCL > D1
    I noticed the following:
    1. "Node MCUL Pin > LCD" suggests the first pin is on the NodeMCU and the second one is on the LCD. I believe it should be the other way around: and read "LCD > Node MCUL Pin"
    2. Using the VIN pin did not work for the board I am using. Following the diagram I found at http://cdn.frightanic.com/blog/wp-co...it-v3-pins.jpg I connected VCC to VUSB or as it is marked on my PCB: VU. A quick verification learned there is no power on the Vin.

Maybe something to update in the doc?

Additionally one question, when compiling the sketch I get a warning about the LCD library:
    WARNING: library LiquidCrystal_I2C claims to run on [avr] architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on [esp8266] architecture(s).
    The LCD display works fine but I am not sure if there is a new/updated library that officially supports the NodeMCU architecture. Can you please advice?

Originally posted by fvhemert View Post
    Hi Greig,

just connected a NodeMCU following the instructions in the doc provided with the plugin:
    NodeMCU Connections:
    Node MCUL Pin > LCD
    GND > GND
    VCC > VIN (this pin gives you 5v from the usb)
    SDA > D2
    SCL > D1
    I noticed the following:
    1. "Node MCUL Pin > LCD" suggests the first pin is on the NodeMCU and the second one is on the LCD. I believe it should be the other way around: and read "LCD > Node MCUL Pin"
    2. Using the VIN pin did not work for the board I am using. Following the diagram I found at http://cdn.frightanic.com/blog/wp-co...it-v3-pins.jpg I connected VCC to VUSB or as it is marked on my PCB: VU. A quick verification learned there is no power on the Vin.

Maybe something to update in the doc?

Additionally one question, when compiling the sketch I get a warning about the LCD library:
    WARNING: library LiquidCrystal_I2C claims to run on [avr] architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on [esp8266] architecture(s).
    The LCD display works fine but I am not sure if there is a new/updated library that officially supports the NodeMCU architecture. Can you please advice?
    Good spot I will change this in the manual.

The Vin works on the NodeMCU board I have that is supported so if you use another type of board then I guess you just need to get +5v from somewhere.

The LCD error is just a warning that the library might not work with the boards but it will. Just ignore this for the moment.

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post

The Vin works on the NodeMCU board I have that is supported so if you use another type of board then I guess you just need to get +5v from somewhere.
      Did some further digging and found several posts on this topic. Apparently there are a million revisions of the NodeMCU. General consensus is that Vin is used to provide power to the board in case USB is not connected. For some of the boards Vin also provides 5V, if not you either have to use the output I used or an external source if it is not wired on the board (indicated by RES)

Comment

I'm new to Arduino so weigh my opinion accordingly.

The project I am working on has 4 different types of sensors. It is based on the nodeMCU 12E processor which runs on 3.3 volts and does not have 5v out. Three of those devices prefer or require 5v. I did some initial development on this using a UNO. It had the 5v output which I used. At one point it started acting really strange which I ultimately determined was that the sensors were using more mA than the UNO had available. I added the breadboard power supply and got the 5v from it and everything settled down. I've been all over websites and youtube and have concluded that the best way to do this is to have both 5v and 3.3v available and not from the Arduino. My current plan is to use a wall wart to provide 6+ volts and then use two regulators (M7805C and LD33V) to output 3.3v and 5v. That gives me the most flexibility in the future. This weekend is devoted to moving this project from breadboard to prototype board and get it into live testing. I've just found out that OneWire is not currently supported by the plugin on a nodeMCU so that means I can't sample temperature. I am hopeful that the plugin will soon support it.
        Last edited by logbuilder; April 6, 2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I power my NodeMCU boards with a 5V micro USB adapter, the 3.3v regulator is on board. The only thing I needed 5V for was the LCD, so I tapped the micro USB connector. For my relay outputs the 3.3V is fine for opto-isolators.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

@rprade

Do you know how a DHT11 temp sensor would be used within the plugin? It does need the DHT11 library. I don't think it needs onewire but it also doesn't seem like a straight input pin. To test I put the output from the DHT11 to D2 and defined the pin as Input. When looking at the device, the status shows 'Open' and has not updated since the pin was added.

Alternately, do you know of any temp sensor that might work with the plugin on a nodeMCU?

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
              @rprade

Do you know how a DHT11 temp sensor would be used within the plugin? It does need the DHT11 library. I don't think it needs onewire but it also doesn't seem like a straight input pin. To test I put the output from the DHT11 to D2 and defined the pin as Input. When looking at the device, the status shows 'Open' and has not updated since the pin was added.

Alternately, do you know of any temp sensor that might work with the plugin on a nodeMCU?
              All of my OneWire devices are DS18B20 temperature sensors. They are connected to Uno and Mega boards or EDS OWServers. I'm sure you could use the API sketch and include the needed libraries, but I use the standard sketches. Greig wrote that he plans on adding OneWire and API support for the NodeMCU as soon as he can.

Since the DHT11 outputs a digital signal, you would have to include the support libraries in the sketch. It has to be decoded and cannot use a plain digital input pin.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks for your input. I just wanted to make sure there was not something obvious I was missing in terms of another temp sensor that might work. I think I am also interested in just using the standard sketch rather than the API sketch.

This is certainly not a time critical project so waiting is not that big of an issue. I was just hoping to continue forward progress. I'm pretty stoked about how it has gone so far. I'll be glad when I can decommission my Insteon battery motion sensors and some of the battery door sensors and add outside temp to the mix.

Comment

Working...
                X