nodeMCUs creating their own networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nodeMCUs creating their own networks

I have several nodeMCUs with on-board wifi that I am using with the plugin. They connect to my wireless network just fine. However, when I look at all the networks available, each of the nodeMCUs have created a network. Is this normal? Seems like a potential security risk.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Comment

Hi Logbuilder

Help me understand, the NodeMCU board is a client and connecting to an AP fine. The NodeMCU board is either advertising itself as an AP or meshing directly with other NodeMCU boards ?

Pete
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

I am running the standard sketchs for the plugin. In the sketch it has the SSID and PSWD of my wifi network. I expected they would act like any device and just connect, which they appear to do, but I wasn't expecting them to show up in my available networks on my laptop or phone. The server that HS3 and the plugin run on doesn't have wifi. Each node has created a network with a nodeMCU name. I guess anyone close enough would see them. That's where my security concerns originate. Truthfully, I am very rural and it is unlikely that anyone not standing on my property could ever see them as available wifi networks. If I knew more about how secure they might be, I could live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
          I am running the standard sketchs for the plugin. In the sketch it has the SSID and PSWD of my wifi network. I expected they would act like any device and just connect, which they appear to do, but I wasn't expecting them to show up in my available networks on my laptop or phone. The server that HS3 and the plugin run on doesn't have wifi. Each node has created a network with a nodeMCU name. I guess anyone close enough would see them. That's where my security concerns originate. Truthfully, I am very rural and it is unlikely that anyone not standing on my property could ever see them as available wifi networks. If I knew more about how secure they might be, I could live with it.
          Hmm..The NodeMCU board is in "client mode" meaning its only setup to connect to an access point. You cant connect to the device in client mode..There is nothing to worry about....
          HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Hi All, I noticed the same issue with my NodeMCU's, there is no need to have them broadcasting their SSID during normal client operation, you can set them to station mode adding the following to your code:

WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);

Be great if the plugin could be updated to include this as an option in the generated .ino's.

Mike

Comment

Thanks very much for that tip. I'll be moving to the API sketch shortly and will incorporate this change.

Comment

Regarding setting WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);, this seemed like good placement to me. Seems to be working however more testing needed. Feedback appreciated.

Code:
                #if BoardType == 3
                  //Serial.begin(115200);
                  WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);
                  WiFi.config(ip, gateway, subnet);

[B]WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);     /* <- newly added line  */ [/B]

while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
                    delay(500);
                  }

Comment

Working...
                X