Would be great to know how you use Arduino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be great to know how you use Arduino

It would be great if you could list things that you do with Arduino and this plugin.

+1 here... I'm looking at heading this way for a specific project (all new to me as well). So glad there is a HomeSeer plugin!

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Personally here I am slowly starting to use it. I bought a Mega thinking of future expansion.

Right now I only have a few things on it:
      - Door Bell (My wife and I like to keep things looking normal and the automation hidden, so we are using the normal doorbell) I use it to detect the bell being pushed and send an email with a screenshot from the camera at the door. Future will be to pause TV and display it for a brief moment to see if I should even get up.

- LED lighting, I have a couple places we use the LED strips for hidden lighting, I use the arduino to control the relays for this.

- Motion Sensors in the basement, they are silly cheap for arduino stuff and work fairly well. The basement is unfinished but we do go down there, so this was a cheap way to automate the basement without the need to zwave sensors. I will probably eventually switch this out though to be monitored by the alarm itself. This was more just because I had the parts laying around and was bored one afternoon.

I have plans to use it to monitor temps in the house once I get wire run, and also leak detectors.

Comment

I have about 7 arduino's (MEGA, Uno, NodeMCU) around the house, deployed for a variety of tasks:

- Interface to the sensors of my alarm system (I have a professional alarm and run HS in parallel)
        - Temperature for central heating and boiler (onewire sensors together with Jon00's charting utility)
        - Room temperature
        - Light sensors controlling automatic switch on/off of in- and exterior lightning
        - Push buttons to trigger events and switch lights on /off

New ideas popping up every day....

Comment

A mega which drives 32 relays. 10 outputs are for irrigation valves the rest drive various valves and pumps for parts of the heating system.

One Arduino which drives the UFH TMV and has 3 1-wire temperature sensors to measure the water flow temperature and outside temperature to do weather compensated control.

Another Arduino controls supplementary electric UFH heating in the kitchen and has 2 1-wire sensors to measure floor and air temperature and local timers so it will run stand alone; just programmed and over-ridden from Homeseer.

A fourth one will control our water supply. The loft tank is controlled by 4 float valves and relay logic. I'll probably replace that with an Arduino which will also control the water softener.

Comment

I have 3 installed doing motion detection and door/window sensors. They communicate to HS3 plugin via wifi. Will soon be adding indoor and outdoor temp sensors as well as a couple of leak detectors. A siren might be in the future.

Comment

In this thread I posted about the genesis of my system. It has evolved considerably since then.

I currently have 5 boards - 4 Megas and 1 Uno. They are all connected by Ethernet, the Megas are powered by POE from my primary switch. While I have OWServers for my OneWire devices, there is OneWire temperature device connected to each of the boards.

Each board has one output pin and one output pin devoted to testing. This pin pair is connected together and to the input of a separate watchdog timer board for reset, in the event the board is no longer communicating.

My server closet where most of my HA equipment resides. It is adjacent to the boiler closet where most of my heating and hot water control equipment is. Both rooms are in the basement.

I have an outbuilding we call the shed, where I have most of my tools, workbench and other things.

Board 1 is a Mega in the server closet. It has
              • 6 inputs from lawn moisture sensors. These devices have dry contact outputs that drive digital inputs on the Arduino
              • 6 of 9 hydronic zone valve position switches tied to inputs
              • 6 of 9 hydronic zone valve actuator controls
              • Digital output and input pin for test and watchdog
              • "Alive" pin output to fail over control for heating system
              • Analog and digital input from a luminance sensor. The analog pin is used for relative light level in the basement. The digital input is from a threshold output from the luminance sensor and is currently unused.
              • OneWire temperature sensor
              • Digital output for relay to reboot our primary Z-Net. This relay is wired to the "run" pins on the Z-Net for a forced reboot.
              • Digital outputs for rear speaker relays in the living room and media room.
              • 3 digital inputs for water leak detectors

Board 2 is a Mega in the boiler closet. It has
              • The remaining 3 of 9 hydronic zone valve position switches tied to inputs
              • 3 of 9 hydronic zone valve actuator controls
              • Digital output for burner control relay
              • Digital output for circulator control relay
              • Digital outputs for 3 heating status LEDs
              • Digital input for heating system status control (on-off)
              • Digital input for CO detection
              • Digital input for smoke detection
              • "Alive" pin output to fail over control for heating system
              • RGB outputs for "dumb" RGB LED strip on the bottom of the stairwell grabrail. Since replaced by a Hyperion controller for smart RGB LEDs.
              • Digital output for Hyperion reboot.

Board 3 is a Mega in the shed. It is used for testing, experimenting and a few production items. It has
              • A 6 digital inputs, 6 output relays and 6 analog inputs with a Velleman shield
              • Output to relay for rebooting Z-Net 2
              • Analog and digital inputs for luminance sensor as above
              • Velleman RGB PWM output shield
              • 4x20 LCD

Board 4 is a Mega in the garage. It has
              • Inputs from 2 driveway dual technology motion sensors
              • Output to reboot Z-Net 3
              • Input for irrigation rain sensor
              • Two digital inputs for health monitoring of whole house generator
              • Digital output to control auxiliary heat for whole house generator - heats engine oil and battery when it is below 20F outside
              • Output for security system status LED indicators
              • 6 PWM outputs for two channels of RGB outputs for LED driveway path lights
              • Analog and digital inputs for luminance sensor as above

Board 5 is a Uno in the master bedroom. It has
              • Digital output for rear speaker control relay
              • Digital and analog input for luminance sensor

As soon as I can come up with a design I am happy with there will be two NodeMCU boards with LCD displays for information centers upstairs and down.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I'm having lots of fun with Amazon Echo toggling the Arduino outputs controlling things....

I was never really a voice control fan but this thing is cool....

We live in a 2 level apartment, we can let the guests into the complex via the front gate using simple voice "Alexa , turn xxxx on", as we do for the garage door and front door...

Looking forward to installing the underbench kitchen lights and drive via PWM and using Alexa to control them.

I have 3 Megas around the house, interfaced to the Access control system, PIR movement and lighting. Its all work in progress :-)

Pete
                HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

@Randy,

If I use an digital input as a switch, does the plugin support conditions for firing an event?

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                    @Randy,

If I use an digital input as a switch, does the plugin support conditions for firing an event?

Robert
                    Yes. All Arduino inputs and outputs are HomeSeer devices. As such you can control them with events or use them as triggers and conditions within events. Like any HS device they can be controlled by status and trigger or condition by status or value. Analog inputs can be used as triggers or conditions based upon values. A digital output and be used as a trigger or condition as well. OneWire devices can be used as a value trigger or condition. PWM outputs, fade times, digital outputs and output times can all be controlled by events.

Arduino pins are HomeSeer devices and can be controlled or monitored like any other HomeSeer device.

Comment

Did anyone use it to monitor the Soil Moisture for the grass? It would be fantastic if I could integrate it with mcsSprinklers.

Great ideas, please keep posting.
                      Last edited by alphatech; May 7, 2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
                        Did anyone use it to monitor the Soil Moisture for the grass? It would be fantastic if I could integrate it with mcsSprinklers.

Great ideas, please keep posting.
                        I don't use Arduino based ground moisture sensors, but I do interface some Toro RF moisture sensors with HomeSeer. They are great units and I have one for each irrigation zone. Unfortunately, they are not sold any longer, but I picked up a batch on closeout. The 6 receivers are in the bottom left of this photo from my server closet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2446.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	1190806

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          I don't use Arduino based ground moisture sensors, but I do interface some Toro RF moisture sensors with HomeSeer. They are great units and I have one for each irrigation zone. Unfortunately, they are not sold any longer, but I picked up a batch on closeout. The 6 receivers are in the bottom left of this photo from my server closet.

[ATTACH]61064[/ATTACH]
                          I'm jealous, you did a fantastic job there, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X