Max number of digital input/ouputs availble for UnoR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max number of digital input/ouputs availble for UnoR3

So getting started with Arduino, I have a project which requires 5 digital input and 5 digital outputs for various controls. I have an Uno R3 and an Ethernet shield and I am trying out the Arduino plugin for HS3 control. However, when I configure the pins, I'm limited to using pins 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 for the input but only 8, 9 for the output. According to Arduino.cc, it states that pins 2-13 can be used for digital inputs/outputs. Am I being limited because of the Ethernet shield? Is there a workaround of would a Mega be a better choice then?

Thanks

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Originally posted by langenet View Post
    So getting started with Arduino, I have a project which requires 5 digital input and 5 digital outputs for various controls. I have an Uno R3 and an Ethernet shield and I am trying out the Arduino plugin for HS3 control. However, when I configure the pins, I'm limited to using pins 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 for the input but only 8, 9 for the output. According to Arduino.cc, it states that pins 2-13 can be used for digital inputs/outputs. Am I being limited because of the Ethernet shield? Is there a workaround of would a Mega be a better choice then?

Thanks

Robert
    The Ethernet shield is costing you some inputs and the SD card slot costs you one. You can use Analog inputs A2-A7 as digital inputs giving you more inputs, then you could use your digital pins 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 as outputs. The pin limitation and memory limitation is why I almost exclusively use Megas.
    Last edited by randy; June 1, 2017, 07:57 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy. Didn't know I could use the analog inputs for digital inputs - still learning... That saves me for this project. Though, in the future I'll be more careful on what I choose and if required, will go with the Mega.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

So looking at various sources of pin mappings, I see ping 12 or 13 aren't available with the plugin.
        For my digital inputs I have pins 2, 3, 5, 6, 7. Pins 8-13 don't show in the drop down.

For my digital outputs, I have pins 8, 9, A2, A3. A0, A1 don't show on the drop down. Are there this many stolen by the network shield???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like the Uno is going to work and I'll need a Mega after all.

Robert

Comment

Working...
        X