Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brainstorming project ideas for the nodeMCU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    Scene Remote Controller

    Wireless device with 6-8 buttons used to select scenes.

    Project box with a nodeMCU inside powered by a battery. One switch on box for master OFF/ON. Switches the battery on or off. Then 6 momentary press buttons attached to digital pins each labeled with a scene/event name. When pressed, an event is triggered that does what ever you want. Turn the master switch to OFF when done.

    A DIY version of the mini mote.
    I just did a prototype of this one. 6 buttons. Works very well. 6 buttons, 6 events. Powered by micro USB at this point. Since it will stay in one location, probably best.

    The buttons were sourced from overseas via ebay. Perfect transaction. Can't say I'm that fond of the buttons but they do seem to work. Quality is just not that good. Do it again and I would get better buttons. $6.55 for 18 is probably less than you want to pay. But they do work.

    On yea, I didn't find a enclosure box I liked so I decided to make it in the wood shop. Work in progress. I have some 3/4" cedar that I will mill down to 5/8" and some 1/4" ply.

    Uses six digital pins. Each button has one leg that goes to ground (tied together with a soldered header pin). The other leg goes to a digital pin.

    Do consider though, $40 for a mini mote or $10 for this one. Splurge and get better parts for $15.

    Here are some pics (sorry if orientation is wrong):
    Attached Files
    Last edited by logbuilder; July 3rd, 2017, 04:56 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Sketch of course available

      Comment


      • #18
        Soil moisture sensor

        nodeMCU + SparkFun Soil Moisture Sensor = remote soil moisture sensor.

        I need a soil moisture sensor to monitor my vermicompost. I had been using a humidity sensor hanging over the compost, but it succumbed to either biofouling or the occasionally condensing atmosphere. I would prefer a ZWave Plus interface, but the lowest cost analog sensor I can find is the MIMOlite at ~60 USD. Besides, adding the Arduino Plugin means I'd have to upgrade from the Zee S2, since I'm out of plugin slots.

        Comment


        • #19
          I had a setup in my Rav4 with an arduino that was tied to a few momentary on push buttons to control exterior lights. 2 additional spot lights, 2 fog lights, 2 rearward utility lights and 2 backup lights. However now with this ESP module I am going to remove the existing Uno and put in the ESP unit. The benefit is that I can use the connection to the house WIFI to indicate if the Rav4 is located at the property or not. So sort of setting up an occupancy detection. Then I could also remotely operate the lights from Homeseer when the Rav4 is around the property...

          I might just toss one in the Honda Fit just for occupancy detection as there is no lights or bells and whistles on that car.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
            I had a setup in my Rav4 with an arduino that was tied to a few momentary on push buttons to control exterior lights. 2 additional spot lights, 2 fog lights, 2 rearward utility lights and 2 backup lights. However now with this ESP module I am going to remove the existing Uno and put in the ESP unit. The benefit is that I can use the connection to the house WIFI to indicate if the Rav4 is located at the property or not. So sort of setting up an occupancy detection. Then I could also remotely operate the lights from Homeseer when the Rav4 is around the property...

            I might just toss one in the Honda Fit just for occupancy detection as there is no lights or bells and whistles on that car.
            Now that there is a good idea. Some time back I tried to implement occupancy tracking with smart phones and the UltraMon3 plugin. What I found was that on my andriod phone, the wifi did not stay on. It would put itself to sleep when no activity. UltraMon then said I was away even though I was there. This sounds like a better solution. The nodeMCU signal stays on all the time. The nodeMCU can take power up to 9 volts. Car is 12. Needs to be always on power even if car is off. How did you power yours?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
              Now that there is a good idea. Some time back I tried to implement occupancy tracking with smart phones and the UltraMon3 plugin. What I found was that on my andriod phone, the wifi did not stay on. It would put itself to sleep when no activity. UltraMon then said I was away even though I was there. This sounds like a better solution. The nodeMCU signal stays on all the time. The nodeMCU can take power up to 9 volts. Car is 12. Needs to be always on power even if car is off. How did you power yours?
              I'm using PHLocation for occupation, but eventually my Mega for the shop will have control of all the garage doors (and monitor their open/closed status). So having a NodeMCU in both vehicles will dictate the occupancy of the vehicle.

              Heck you could have a sensor that monitors the areas where the car park under the garage door openers (I have a pile of these that I bought from dx.com a long time ago). If it senses a car there, say in my case the Rav4. And you have an input of the NodeMCU tied to the "Run" on the Rav4. In theory you could go into the garage, hop in your car, start it and then the garage door will automatically open. Once the car has disconnected from WIFI and was previously running, then close the door. Likewise when coming home, WIFI connects, engine is still running then open the door that is empty or deemed the "home spot" for the car.

              I have a lot of neat ideas for this, but just need to get my Mega wired up in the shop and then begin learning the API and testing it with a few basic switches and outputs to control LEDs for a start. Oh and finish my panel in the house and set all that up too.

              Comment


              • #22
                My vehicle doesn't live in a garage. I do have a detached 'garage' but it houses tractors, ATVs and other various machines rather than my car. It is about 200' from my house which sits on an 11 acre parcel. I have a nodeMCU out there monitoring the two garage doors, a man door, and 3 windows. Also detects motion.

                I have wifi coverage in a 250' circle around the house. Several repeaters involved. My driveway starts probably 350' from the house so about 100' in I should get wifi. A nodeMCU in my vehicle running an API sketch that connects to wifi could be tested for being online. If present, house is occupied. If not present, house is unoccupied. I might duplicate for my wife's car. If either one is here, the house is occupied. If both are one, it is unoccupied.

                Just gotta figure out how to power it all the time regardless of whether the vehicles are on or off.

                Comment


                • #23
                  You could find a constant 12v power from the radio or something similar. Or tie it off the back of the fusebox to another constant 12v source. I was curious about the the current draw and I was reading about it to be around 80mA @ 3.3V, so 0.26W, or 22ma @ 12v...basically nothing. I'll check with a lab power supply to confirm though.

                  I trenched (by hand) between the house and garage a new large gas line and since I had the trench dug I dropped in 7 CAT6 cables to allow the house to be connected to the garage. The primary intent was for a MEGA with an Ethernet shield, this was before the NodeMCU came along. However I need a ton of inputs/outputs and PWM control for the house number sign etc. This plugin just allows so much versatility, I just wish there was a way to have it work outside of the home network, then I'd be deploying these everywhere to talk back to Homeseer.

                  Another neat idea would be to have 2 load scales (use an HX711 load cell amp), one on either side of the bed next to the headboard. Use the signal from each to determine if the wife is in bed, or if you're in bed, or both. Then if both are in bed, to shut off all the lights in the house except any in the bedroom, lock doors, etc... Then all that is left is shutting off the bedroom lights when ready to go to bed, I currently use Tasker and an NFC tag beside the bed to do that.

                  The wifi ability makes this so slick as you can make furniture smart...and only need to find a nearby plugin to do so. Also so much cheaper than z-wave devices...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Finished my 6 button DIY mini mote. Works great. It sits next to my chair in the TV area. Hence the scenes. Using API sketch. Need to build another for next to my bed. NodeMCUs on order. My wife has an official Insteon MiniMote next to her side of the bed which was the inspiration for this project. She uses it every day.

                    Code always available.

                    ETA: Cost was less than $10. Switches ordered on eBay - $2.90 for 10.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by logbuilder; July 10th, 2017, 09:36 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
                      Another neat idea would be to have 2 load scales (use an HX711 load cell amp), one on either side of the bed next to the headboard. Use the signal from each to determine if the wife is in bed, or if you're in bed, or both. Then if both are in bed, to shut off all the lights in the house except any in the bedroom, lock doors, etc... Then all that is left is shutting off the bedroom lights when ready to go to bed, I currently use Tasker and an NFC tag beside the bed to do that.
                      The load sensors on the corners of the bed have lots of possibilities.
                      • Turn on one side or the other.
                      • Turn off all if both sides are occupied.
                      • If occupied and it is cold, turn on elec blanket.
                      • Sensors appear random, turn on proper mood music and adjust lights.


                      Humm... Do you have a link to those load sensors?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        logbuilder I am curious to know, I am also using pushbuttons for scenes but the delay is not WAF compatible.
                        I have to maintain the button for 2secs to be sure it fires the scene.
                        Don't you have the same delays ?
                        Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          First, I am using the API version of the sketch so I am in control of handling the button presses. Don't know if that enters into your delays or not.

                          I have no delays. I am using NC momentary switches. I press them normally and they immediately react. It might also be a factor that all my devices that I control are insteon. So far, WAF is good however MyAF is likely more stringent and I find it acceptable.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                            The load sensors on the corners of the bed have lots of possibilities.
                            • Turn on one side or the other.
                            • Turn off all if both sides are occupied.
                            • If occupied and it is cold, turn on elec blanket.
                            • Sensors appear random, turn on proper mood music and adjust lights.


                            Humm... Do you have a link to those load sensors?
                            hehe yep definitely wouldn't want to toggle lights due to random sensor readings. lol.

                            I just did a quick google search as for a common arduino setup and it seems the HX711 with an appropriate sized sensor would work.

                            HX711
                            https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13879
                            Load Cell
                            https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13332

                            The load cells are quite expensive though...I'm sure cheaper units could be found as really it doesn't need to generate a #, just an on/off signal. If it actually weighed the person it could detect who was sleeping on either side...but I don't think most partners switch sides of the bed. Haha.

                            So heck even a switch under the mattress and with a person laying on the bed would be enough to deflect it and connect the contacts could be possible. A bit more mickey mouse but super cheap and could use a readily available contact switch.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Saw this and though it was very creative and might be a good arduino project. Depending on range, it could be very useful.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Ah ahahahahahaha. Wireless power transmission...why not water? Awesome.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X