Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• santoal
    replied
    After lots of troubleshooting, I haven't been able to fix this issue. I do have a work around that may benefit others however

Solution:
    1) Power Arduino board using PSU (POE disabled and USB disconnected)
    2) Plug PSU in to a z-wave switch and set-up in HS3 using z-wave plug-in
    3) Setup event to monitor state of Arduino board connection. When board becomes disconnected or connection fails, cycle the power to the PSU using z-wave switch and re-initiate a connection

I have setup a number of events and a counter so that the board attempts to re-connect every minute for 10 minutes. A virtual device "Arduino Auto Connect" enables me to turn off the power cycling after 10 attempts and manually disable if needed.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• santoal
    replied
    Thanks Greig.

No difference with USB disconnected... I even disabled all other COM ports and no change.

I'm leaving the board disconnected from ethernet until I get the "!CONNECTION Failed" message on the plug-in console. I then plug the ethernet cable back in and nothing happens. I've left it for over 30 minutes with cable plugged back in. The LCD display just shows "Connection Err" - I'm guessing it should show "Connection Error" and "or" is cut off with 16 character display. I don't see "Reset" come up on the LCD either before or after I plug the ethernet cable back in.

I note that I have to hit "connect" after the power cycle to re-initiate the connection. So I'm guessing it's not detecting the board connection is re-established.

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Originally posted by santoal View Post
    Thanks Greig. I'm glad to hear it's not normal... so something is causing the issue.

The board is currently being powered by a 7.2V DC power supply as I found a 5V power supply wasn't enough to power the LCD (its drops to 3.4V on the 5V terminals on the board).

In testing, I've also tried 12V (but gets a little hot as per other posts), USB and POE+ via my Unifi 24 port switch. I currently have the POE disconnected. I find that turning off and on the 7.2V power results in a re-connection with the no POE connection. If I remove the 7.2V and use the POE, then the board still fails to reconnect. Again, if I cycle the POE power from the unifi controller, it will also reconnect.

I currently have the following devices connected:
    - 16x2 LCD with I2C
    - 8 channel relay board (with only 1 device connected)
    - Genuine ethernet V2 shield

The devices connected are to and from 12 V relays for door locks and reed switches (dry contacts). I still had the issue when I disconnected the devices.

Here is the message on the plug-in console when I unplug the ethernet cable:
    Warning = Board: 1 has a connection ERROR. Retrying.
    Warning = Board: 1 has a connection ERROR. Trying Reset.
    Error = Board: 1 Connection FAILED.
    [PLUG ETHERNET CABLE BACK IN - NO RECONNECTION]
    [MANUAL CONNECTION ATTEMPT]

Connecting Board No:1 at ip address 192.168.1.65 Port No:8900
    [NO RESPONSE - PWR CYCLE HERE]
    Com port lost
    Board 1 Version 1.0.0.145 and Plugin Version 1.0.0.147 are compatible.
    Connected to Board No:1 at ip address 192.168.1.65 Port No:8900
    Updating pins on Board No: 1
    Updating Values on Board No: 1
    [RECONNECTED]

I can also ping the board when the ethernet cable is reconnected.

Thoughts?
    I can not think of a reason for this to happen other than it being a problem with the V2 shield as I only have V1.
    I see there is a Comport that is lost when you hard reset the board, running the board on USB as well as the psu. Try removing the USB.

My server can reset without problems and I know others do this to as there was a time when I had to change the code so the board would reconnect.

How long are you leaving the board after the disconnect as there is a reset timer in there that should restart the board if this times out? Try leaving it longer as I think it is about 3 or 4 min.

You have a LCD on the board what is it saying as there should be status messages on it. Leave the board until it has displayed the board reset.

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• santoal
    replied
    Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
    No this is not normal. I did have problems with this but it turned out to be a power drain on the board from external devices on startup causing the board to crash. Can I ask what you are powering the board with and what devices you have connected to the outputs?

Greig.
    Thanks Greig. I'm glad to hear it's not normal... so something is causing the issue.

The board is currently being powered by a 7.2V DC power supply as I found a 5V power supply wasn't enough to power the LCD (its drops to 3.4V on the 5V terminals on the board).

In testing, I've also tried 12V (but gets a little hot as per other posts), USB and POE+ via my Unifi 24 port switch. I currently have the POE disconnected. I find that turning off and on the 7.2V power results in a re-connection with the no POE connection. If I remove the 7.2V and use the POE, then the board still fails to reconnect. Again, if I cycle the POE power from the unifi controller, it will also reconnect.

I currently have the following devices connected:
    - 16x2 LCD with I2C
    - 8 channel relay board (with only 1 device connected)
    - Genuine ethernet V2 shield

The devices connected are to and from 12 V relays for door locks and reed switches (dry contacts). I still had the issue when I disconnected the devices.

Here is the message on the plug-in console when I unplug the ethernet cable:
    Warning = Board: 1 has a connection ERROR. Retrying.
    Warning = Board: 1 has a connection ERROR. Trying Reset.
    Error = Board: 1 Connection FAILED.
    [PLUG ETHERNET CABLE BACK IN - NO RECONNECTION]
    [MANUAL CONNECTION ATTEMPT]

[NO RESPONSE - PWR CYCLE HERE]
    Com port lost
    Board 1 Version 1.0.0.145 and Plugin Version 1.0.0.147 are compatible.
    Connected to Board No:1 at ip address 192.168.1.65 Port No:8900
    Updating pins on Board No: 1
    Updating Values on Board No: 1
    [RECONNECTED]

I can also ping the board when the ethernet cable is reconnected.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Originally posted by jasonr2231 View Post
    Sweet. Thanks. I was missing setting up the board BEFORE downloading. I thought I did that in the IDE first. Working now.
    Good news. Have Fun.

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Originally posted by santoal View Post
    Hi Greig

I was wondering if you could help with my open issue with the ethernet shield connection issue I have (as stated above).

Is it normal that I have to cycle the power on the board to re-establish an IP connection once it drops out?

Thanks
    No this is not normal. I did have problems with this but it turned out to be a power drain on the board from external devices on startup causing the board to crash. Can I ask what you are powering the board with and what devices you have connected to the outputs?

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• santoal
    replied
    Hi Greig

I was wondering if you could help with my open issue with the ethernet shield connection issue I have (as stated above).

Is it normal that I have to cycle the power on the board to re-establish an IP connection once it drops out?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• jasonr2231
    replied
    Can not connect

Sweet. Thanks. I was missing setting up the board BEFORE downloading. I thought I did that in the IDE first. Working now.

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    The sketch you just attached is set for Ethernet connection so will not work.

Do the following.

1.Set up the board comport on the config page
    2. Select the board number from the dropdown list at the top of the page then click to download the sketch.
    3. Open this sketch in the IDE ensuring you have the same version as stated on the plugin config page.
    4.Select your board type and comport.
    5.Click to compile and download the sketch to the board.
    6.Close the IDE and then connect to the board in homeseer.
    7. Set up the pins you require.
    8. Wire it all up and have fun.

You never need to modify the sketch as the plugin will do this for you.
    The only time you need a new sketch is when there is an update or you change the connection from Com to Ethernet or back again.

I hope this helps.

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jasonr2231
    replied
    Can not connect

Yes I have. I think I had the wrong IDE version when the original sketch was downloaded, modified and uploaded. I have 1.8.1 (was 1.6.?) maybe I need to start over. How would I get back to a basic sketch (or the one that came on the board)?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Looking at the debug the board is not connected on the comport. have you uploaded the sketch from the config page with the IDE? can you post this sketch so I can check it is correct?

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• santoal
    replied
    I assume you can connect and download the sketch over the same com port using the Arduino IDE?

Leave a comment:

• jasonr2231
    replied
    Can not connect

Digging further to see if it's a COM port issue, I find the following error.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection and APPID
    Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

again...waaaay out of my league but maybe there is a nugget that some would find useful. I think have had other COM port issues with in ability to COM 1 once in a while. HS even replaced S6 but problem still existed.....assumed it was Napco Gemini or GTS CPUXA issue.

Leave a comment:

• jasonr2231
    replied
    Can not connect

I can not seem to get the board to connect or stay connected. Yesterday it would connect but fail after a few minutes (before I could even add any pins). Today I can't even get it to connect. I have read through the instructions several times and think I have done each step. I can connect with the Arduino software as I can see the board config has changed. I'm a bit out of my league so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached tke .ino debug file.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• santoal
    replied
    Ethernet shield Auto connect issues

Ok - I've connected an ethernet shield which solved an issue with the LCD not displaying as described in this thread:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...00#post1368600

I do still have a problem with re-connection issues however with the shield.

The problem occurs when I lose IP connection (either I unplug the ethernet cable or the server reboots with uninterrupted power to the board). I get "Error = Board: 1 Connection FAILED". Hitting "Connect" or "Reset" makes no difference.

Once I cycle the power to the Board, a get a successful Auto connection within about 2 seconds. It's a problem as my server reboots weekly and I'd like it to automatically reconnect.

I have attached my log file.

Appreciate any suggestions on how I can fix.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X