• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drhtmal
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post
    ... Seems the URL to the json file is out of date in the HS3 documentation
    Glad to help.

It is hard to keep documentation update especially when external links are embedded in the docs.

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied
    Well thank you very much for that drhtmal. Seems the URL to the json file is out of date in the HS3 documentation. Instead of http://.../staging/ is should be http://.../stable/.
    I'm wondering if this has been updated for the HS4 plugin?

Anyway, I'm dangerous enough now to get started.

Thanks again!

Robert

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post
    I'm trying after many years to setup another board. This time a NodeMCU. However, after following these instructions I seem to be stuck at the follow:

In the Arduino IDE go to Tools, Board, Board Manager and search for nodemcu and click install to install the board V2.3.0-rc2.

I'm running 1.0.0.142 on HS3 and with 1.8.1 of the IDE. However, there is no listing for nodemcu. Can someone help with this?
    Try these instructions to install

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...ino-ide-28184f

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied
    Bump... I still cannot find nodemcu in the board manager. Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied
    I'm trying after many years to setup another board. This time a NodeMCU. However, after following these instructions I seem to be stuck at the follow:

In the Arduino IDE go to Tools, Board, Board Manager and search for nodemcu and click install to install the board V2.3.0-rc2.

I'm running 1.0.0.142 on HS3 and with 1.8.1 of the IDE. However, there is no listing for nodemcu. Can someone help with this?

Leave a comment:

• ksum
    replied
    Rick,

Can you describe what you need and are there any digital pins available?

Leave a comment:

• Rmasci64
    replied
    Greig;

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately writing an API is not in my skill set
    Is adding that capability in the near term plans for the plugin?

If not, is there another low power embedded WiFi board that the plugin supports the A/D function you could suggest?

Rick

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Originally posted by Rmasci64 View Post
    Newbie question:

I have the NodeMCU all configured as described above, and it's communicating with the plugin. I'm at the stage now of adding input pins, but I don't see pin A0 (the A/D Converter pin). Does the plugin not support that pin??

Rick
    Analog inputs are not supported on the NodeMCU at the moment. You can add them to your own sketch with the API.

Regards.

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• Rmasci64
    replied
    Newbie question:

I have the NodeMCU all configured as described above, and it's communicating with the plugin. I'm at the stage now of adding input pins, but I don't see pin A0 (the A/D Converter pin). Does the plugin not support that pin??

Rick

Leave a comment:

• larrywal32
    replied
    Following this thread. Great stuff so far.

Leave a comment:

• ksum
    replied
    I just use web pages hosted by the NodeMCU ESP8266, as outlined in this article but changed my code to do what I need. I set the NodeMCU to a static IP via my router. Now I can have a HomeSeer Event run an immediate script with this line as the command:
    Code:
    &hs.GetURL("192.168.1.200","/LED=ON",FALSE,80)
    For the test unit this turned on an LED. for the tutorial linked, the sub page has a different name and runs different code. My final is to run some flickering lights in a Halloween display to make it look as if items are lit by candles. I have the Event run when I want the display on, either by time or motion, or whatever you may choose. I also added a push button to toggle the lights on/off and added the event to my smart speaker voice control. Since the "commands" are done by accessing a web page, I was able to test with my phone and remove the need to be on HomeSeer.

Pretty basic, but since I only need a couple functions, this works for my needs. Sorry that I am not using the plug-in (yet). This was my first Arduino project and it is doing what I need. As I get more complex I do intend to see how the plug-in can make life easier. Maybe when I go to control the Heat=N-Glow gas fireplace by sending the RF remote control codes. That was my initial reasoning for starting down this road. I just got sidetracked by a more pressing need.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• justinm001
    replied
    Its actually not that hard, but you have to follow the instructions very carefully. Its in the beta sticky in this forum. I'm pretty similar to you and spent a couple hours figuring it out before realizing needs to be beta. Just got one working a few minutes ago and now trying to setup inputs.

go to the plugins page and under beta install that version (1.0.0.148), open the plug-in and make sure it shows that version.
    Create a new board in there, set type to NodeMcu, give ip address, subnet, gateway (leave port and Mac alone), type in your SSID (wifi name) and password.
    Click download sketch for new board number
    click download arduino libraries
    click here to download Arduino IDE V1.8.1
    install Arduino IDE V1.8.1
    unzip downloaded libraries and copy to c:\program files x86\arduino, make sure there isn't a libraries folder inside the main libraries folder (download has folder inside a folder)
    In the Arduino IDE go to File, Preferences. Under Additional Boards Manager Urls add http://arduino.esp8266.com/staging/p...com_index.json then click OK.
    In the Arduino IDE go to Tools, Board, Board Manager and search for nodemcu and click install to install the board V2.3.0-rc2
    plug in your board to USB
    select com port
    under tools, board, chose the NodeMCU V1.0(ESP-12E Module)
    hit the verify checkbox
    hit the upload arrow
    if it says done uploading at bottom you should be good, if error then it didn't work
    wait a minute, then try to ping IP you set, if reply then its online
    in HS3 arduino configuration click connect and it should turn green, so its communicating.

Then follow rest of arduino instructions to add inputs and devices to it.

Leave a comment:

• sirbooker
    replied
    Bump
    i am also interested in learning how to do this, any info would be appreciated.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• TomB
    started a topic NodeMCU+Wifi guide for newbies?

NodeMCU+Wifi guide for newbies?

Hello!

I just today purchased a NodeMCU and I downloaded the plugin. I have not done programming or anything of its kind for many many years and I notice my head don't wrap around this easily.

I am therefore looking to see if there is any HS3 users who has made a guide on how to get started with Wifi (not ethernet), and the NodeMCU connected to another computer by USB (not the HS3 server), and then get it connected inside HS3?

I have been looking but everything I found so far as not been complete in the way I made it working, so I was hoping someone has something more thorough
Working...
X