Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie hardware/shield question

Hey folks,

Starting life with Arduino and can't seem to find what hardware/shields are directly supported by the plugin. I do see that NodeMCU is highly referenced, but it appears to be WiFi only (near as I can tell). I personally have a preference for wired ethernet since ensuring that this system is up 100% is important and WiFi (for a variety of reasons) has gone offline rarely but it does happen.

So my questions are:
    - What are the "supported/tested" hardware that is known to work with the plugin (there are so many boards! :-)
    - What are the "supported/tested" shields that are known to work with the plugin
    - Are there any cases that fit the hardware? I realize that some folks use 1-gang or other type of boxes and that is an option but it wouldn't fit my installation particularly well and I really don't want a PC board hanging around/exposed.

I apologize if this seems obvious, but the info seems scattered around the board and not tied to any particular version of the plugin. I could just buy the NodeMCU but I'd like to get a better sense of what my options are and pick from that.

I am totally fine with Google searches, etc. to try and figure out pretty much anything... but that won't help from the "supported/tested" side of this. Also I'm not sure how compatible boards are - are they generally mix/match or is each Arduino board different enough that they won't plausibly work. I have enough experience with hardware to understand the issues, I just don't have any experience with Arduino to know how to proceed.

Thanks for any feedback.

Originally posted by januszczyk View Post
    So my questions are:
    - What are the "supported/tested" hardware that is known to work with the plugin (there are so many boards! :-)
    - What are the "supported/tested" shields that are known to work with the plugin
    - Are there any cases that fit the hardware? I realize that some folks use 1-gang or other type of boxes and that is an option but it wouldn't fit my installation particularly well and I really don't want a PC board hanging around/exposed.
    1.The supported hardware is Uno, Mega NodeMCU. Other boards may work but this is what is supported.
    2.The standard W5100 Ethernet Shield
    3.I have mine mounted in a standard din mount consumer unit but there are many enclosures out there and I am sure on would fit your use.

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Hi mate,

As far as enclosures go, I am lucky enough to have a 3d printer. If you have a friend or know someone that has access to one there is a plethora of cases and enclosures you can download that are made specifically for your hardware. A 3d printing website called Thingiverse has tons of files you can download for free.

I am running several boards including 2 Raspberry Pi's, an Arduino Mega, a Freetronics Ethermega and 2 Arduino Uno's. There are so many variations of these enclosures. You can print some to fit the boards straight onto a Din Rail. I have mine mounted in the garage next to my server rack to keep high voltage switching relays separate from my network and A/V equipment.

I have also used Sketchup, which is VERY easy to learn, to design some parts to customize how I need things and then export them to an .stl file for compatibility with my printer software.

I understand not everybody has access to a 3d printer, but Officeworks here in Australia do 3d printing for you also for a fee so i imagine most people might have some availability to it.

Hope this helps in some way

Cheers
      Mick

Comment

Follow up - I had purchased parts to breadboard my way to a NodeMCU based system. However I haven't had the time to put it all today. Over the weekend I took a break and somehow ran into the following web site:

https://konnected.io

By the looks of it, it appears to be a fully assembled GIO board to connect sensors to a NodeMCU (the provided appears to be a Lilo). For folks looking to use the Arduino plug-in to interface to 6 sensors this seems like a possible quality solution (a bit expensive but still). Anyone see any reason (beyond cost) for why this isn't an easy way to use the plug-in with a NodeMCU device? While my soldering skills are pretty good, this still seems like a higher quality approach to almost exactly what i was going to do.

Thanks,
        -Jeff

Comment

Just a follow up - for folks looking to buy a fully assembled/high quality PC board with NodeMCU that works with this plugin I do now recommend the Konnected.io board. It has 6 pins with available power for remote devices (motion detectors, etc.). Definitely a high quality device - yup expensive but unless you happen to have breadboards, power supplies, etc. available the cost delta is not that bad. Used with the enigmatheatre Arduino plugin this is a really easy no hardware knowledge way to hook up 6 pins for various usage (sensors, etc.) that feels like it will last quite a while.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Konnected-Arduino.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1255693
          Please note that the case is not supplied, I used DataTak ABS Box (modified with Dremel to fit PC board). I currently have multiple reed switch type sensors attached. A few comments:
          - Remember to add a rule to Windows Firewall to allow the incoming traffic from your Homeseer system otherwise you won't be able to connect
          - The terminal block screw numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) don't directly match the GIO pin numbers - add all pins and see what does what
          - It appears you need to install Python on your Windows system to do OTA firmware updates... need to find instructions on what version, etc.

I think this board will make this plugin much more accessible to many non-hardware inclined folks. If your looking for a way to add up to 6 sensors to Homeseer and don't want to build hardware I think this is the way to go.

Comment

If you are running Arduino beta 1.0.0.148 and load the new sketches and IDE 1.8.1, OTA updates for the NodeMCU can be done directly from the Arduino IDE. All the boards show up by IP when you select the port in the IDE. The first sketch needs to be loaded by USB. After that updates can be done OTA. I have 4 of the boards and it has worked very well.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Yes, I did try that and selected my board based upon IP instead of serial port - the upload failed with a Java error attempting to launch Python. Since this is a windows system there definitely isn't Python available by default.

I was pondering the need for the Arduino IDE to be on any specific machine. I initially installed it on the Homeseer system assuming it was needed by the plugin, however after going through a full deployment cycle this doesn't appear to be necessary. Near as I can tell you can have the IDE on any machine that works for you (including Linux & Mac). As long as you have browser connectivity with Homeseer you can download all of the necessary files to the system with the IDE on it and thus can select machine for which python is easily installed, etc. In addition placing IDE's on server systems (aka my Homeseer system running Windows 2012 Server) goes against the grain.

This is speculation on my part since I haven't yet tried it (I will), however at this point I don't see any direct dependency for the plugin to have access to the IDE files (i.e., be on the same system).

Comment

Originally posted by januszczyk View Post
                Yes, I did try that and selected my board based upon IP instead of serial port - the upload failed with a Java error attempting to launch Python. Since this is a windows system there definitely isn't Python available by default.

I was pondering the need for the Arduino IDE to be on any specific machine. I initially installed it on the Homeseer system assuming it was needed by the plugin, however after going through a full deployment cycle this doesn't appear to be necessary. Near as I can tell you can have the IDE on any machine that works for you (including Linux & Mac). As long as you have browser connectivity with Homeseer you can download all of the necessary files to the system with the IDE on it and thus can select machine for which python is easily installed, etc. In addition placing IDE's on server systems (aka my Homeseer system running Windows 2012 Server) goes against the grain.

This is speculation on my part since I haven't yet tried it (I will), however at this point I don't see any direct dependency for the plugin to have access to the IDE files (i.e., be on the same system).
                My machines are all Windows 10. I have updated my boards from my desktop as well as my laptop. All I did was install the IDE. Neither has Python, both have the newest Java. Neither is running HomeSeer. I have also sent updates from my HS Server (Windows 10), headless via RDP. It doesn't matter what machine is running HS3 or even if it is running, the update is over WiFi from the IDE to the board. If the IP of the boards shows up under ports, the sketch is correct.

The IDE is only used for uploading sketches, it does not need to be installed or running for the plug-in to work.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Python is required for OTA update to work. See the Classic OTA section Here.

Greig.
                  Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                  X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                  Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                  Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                  Scripts =
                  Various

Comment

Working...
                  X