Events Not Being Detected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Events Not Being Detected

I'm having some issues with events not being detected. My Arduino is being used to interface with my hard-wired alarm system. The alarm system has six door sensors and one motion sensor. Sensor contacts are NC. To isolate the Arduino from the 12V alarm system voltage, I have a diode between each sensor and the Arduino input pins. When the doors are closed or no motion is detected, the Arduino pins measure approximately 0.5V. When a sensor opens, the voltage jumps to approximately 4.7V.

Basically, the system works, but quite often a change in status is not detected and the door or motion status does not update in Homeseer. This failure happens with both door open and door closed events. Cycling the door or motion sensor usually corrects the issue, as does resetting or reconnecting the Arduino board.

I've read a lot about noise on the lines causing false triggers. My issue is the opposite, not false triggers, but rather missed triggers, however I tried adding a capacitor anyway. Unfortunately, it made no difference. I've also adjusted the debounce setting to various amounts from 0 through 500ms with no apparent change in behavior.

So, I need some help figuring out how to either sense the changes more reliably (preferably), or poll the system more often to update the status.

Thank you,
    Mike

1) Are you saying the HomeSeer devices for Arduino pins are not showing the change?
    2) Are you using analog or digital inputs?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      1) Are you saying the HomeSeer devices for Arduino pins are not showing the change?
      2) Are you using analog or digital inputs?
      1) Yes. I temporarily added a Serial.println(); command to the sketch and watched the pin status on the Serial Monitor in the Arduino IDE. When in the failure mode, the Serial Monitor shows the change (either from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1), but the Homeseer device status does not update to reflect the change. So, for example, after a motion event, I remove motion from the area and let the motion sensor reset, which takes the sensor to ground potential. The Arduino Serial Monitor shows the pin for that sensor going to 0, but the Homeseer device for that pin still shows a motion event. It remains that way until another motion event and subsequent reset (or board disconnect/reconnect or board reset).

So, it appears that the Arduino is reading the conditions correctly, but Homeseer is missing the changeover from one state to another.

And to reiterate, this is an intermittent problem. I would say maybe 80-90% of the time it works correctly. But 10-20% of the time the change in state is missed by Homeseer, leaving the Homeseer Device Status in the previous state.

2) Digital.

Comment

I have my alarm sensors intergrated into homeseer. But all my alarm logic is move into homeseer itself. So my alarm sensors are not shared. I dont have an alarm controller or keypad. But I do use a backup battary power supply to power all the sensor and devices like smoke sensors. The comon of each sensor goes to ground of arduino and the zone or alarm connection goes to a digital pin. I have denounce set to 100 and a 50uf BP capacitor across each digital input pin and on long runs a capacitor at the other end.
        I had a problem at first and found by using a good quality arduno board helped and connected via eathernet.
        I had a lot of issues with boards connected via usb.
        I'm using the freetronics ethermega. Found them to be reliable.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

In an effort to figure out if my cabling and door sensors are having a negative effect, I ran another test this evening. I disconnected all of my alarm sensors from the Arduino board and simply used a single jumper from ground to pin 2. I connected and disconnected the jumper several times, simulating a door opening and closing. The same failure occurs. Occasionally, Homeseer misses the change of state. It's as if the sketch is not confirming that Homeseer received the change of state.

Mike

Comment

What is the board brand and model?
            And how is it connected to your system?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Comment

Sunfounder Uno with Sunfounder Ethernet shield.

Mike

Comment

I have a delay problem using the standard arduino setup and digital inputs, since the beginning.
                Short inputs, shorter than 1second, are often not detected.
                Using simple pushbuttons to trigger scenes or events is only possible for "long presses", as a "normal press" won't be detected most of the time.
                I could not imagine using this for alarm sensors.
                Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  I have a delay problem using the standard arduino setup and digital inputs, since the beginning.
                  Short inputs, shorter than 1second, are often not detected.
                  Using simple pushbuttons to trigger scenes or events is only possible for "long presses", as a "normal press" won't be detected most of the time.
                  I could not imagine using this for alarm sensors.
                  If I understand you correctly, you are talking about 'press and release' activation. The failure I'm experiencing is single action; open or close. I've actually tried very quick open and close actions and they seem to work fine (most of the time, when not in failure mode). I don't see the 1 second delay you are experiencing. Mine works fine most of the time, but when it fails, it fails on one action. It is most often brought to my attention when all doors are closed, but a sensor shows as being open, after an open/close sequence (not a quick sequence, but a typical open the door, walk through, then close it).

Mike

Comment

I'm still not sure why state changes are sometimes missed, but I have worked around the problem by checking that Homeseer receives state changes sent from the Arduino sketch and, if not, send them again. I am using the API version of the board sketch to do this. Using the plugin, I've created Homeseer output devices that send the status of my Homeseer sensor input devices upon state change back to the Arduino sketch (to the FromHS[] array).

For example, I set up a device in the Arduino plugin for my Front Door Sensor on plugin input 1. The plugin creates a Homeseer device for that. I then set up an output in the plugin on output 0, and the plugin creates a separate Homeseer device for that. I then created a simple Homeseer event that updates the state of the output device when the Front Door sensor changes state. When that change takes place, the plugin sends the information to the FromHS[] array in the Arduino sketch. Then, in the Arduino sketch, I can compare the FromHS[] array value to the current input state for that sensor to make sure they agree. If not, the sketch sends the current state again to Homeseer.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X