Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NodeMCU : ESP8266 or ESP32 ?

Hi everyone,

Is the plugin compatible with both models 8266 and 32 ?

And if ESP32 is ok, what specific model would you recommend ? It seems to have a lot of different boards.

Thank you,

Michel

I have not used the ESP32 but will look to support this in HS4. I don't think there are many differences so it might work now.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Great, I'm going to buy one and try it. I keep you posted.

Anyone else here having already tried this ?

Comment

I'm trying to get into esp32, but i'm not having much time or luck. I found a youtube video where the DFRobot Firebeetle had good battery power characteristics. No idea if it's factual. I have a couple of Adafruit feather boards with latching relay feather wings. I'm trying to use PlatformIO for programming. I need a local class to attend or something. I can't seem to get started. ;-/

Comment

These devices have built in WiFi and the most common way to integrate is with WiFi. MQTT is dominant in this space, but HTTP can be used.

The ESP32 is more hardware capable but the other is usually sufficient

Comment

Here is a thread where I replaced a nodeMCU with an ESP32 running with the arduino plugin. It also incorporates OTA.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/an...p32-and-or-ota

Comment

Thank you all for your answers.

logbuilder, great, I didn't find that thread, thanks again.

I've ordered some ESP32 (all different ones, including the cam model, just trying), I'll let you know how things are going.

Comment

Tasmota is an excellent piece of software that runs on ESP8266 and I have a ported version for the ESP32 that I did when doing location tracking with Bluetooth. Tasmota has all the popular Arduino libraries integrated and provides a browser interface. Serial and OTA are available for loading. It's interface to HS is WiFi so not hindered with issues associated with a physical interface. While it is possible to start from scratch for every sketch, it is so much more efficient to build upon something that already exists. It is well supported and well documented.

In the ESP32 case you can use a hardware debugger that sells in the $25 neighborhood. It will give you breakpoint, single step, etc. which is very efficient compared to repeated cycles of print statements, recompile, reload. The ESP8266 does not have sufficient GPIO to support a hardware debugger.

Comment

I have dozens of 8266 modules in my HS3 system using MQTT There are many advantages of using the 8266 including the many Sonoff modules which can be easily modified by loading the Tasmota software. In my particular situation, the advanced features of the ESP32 have not been needed. Either the ModeMCU modules or one of the Sonoff modules have been sufficient. If the 8266 capabilities are not sufficient, you can use the ported Tasmota code or write arduino code using one of the arduino MQTT libraries for the ESP32...

Comment

Michael,

A couple of questions.....

Can you provide a link(s) to the hardware debugger for the ESP32.
                    Is your Tasmota port to ESP32 available?
                    Thanks,

Comment

A good video for the debugger including links for the JTAG debugger hardware is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psMqilqlrRQ

The source reference is contained in Section 15.15.1 of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf.

I use VisualCode and PlatformIO for my ESP development. There are some situations where I will use the Arduino environment such as when I was doing the ATTiny or Uno.

Comment

A little orientation with the Tasmota source...

user_config.h contains compile-time setup. The most significant are the #define USE_... statements which are used to limit the number of capabilities that exist in the binary. This limit is typically done so the binary size fits within the OTA size requirements.

It also contains user settings such as STA_SSID1 which is the WiFi network SSID. These can be set at compile time or can be entered later via console or the access point setup when the SSID in the source does not connect.

Sonoff.ino is the main program. Just like an Arduino sketch it will have an init section "void setup()" and a realtime section "void loop()". With the ESP32 I used one of the CPUs for all the features provided by Tasmota. I used the other for the special logic of BLE scanning. All my BLE logic is encased in "#ifdef BLE_SCANNER" logic.

Comment

Wow, I'm a bit lost here

Need to read some articles on the web I think

Anyway, am I right if I say that, at least for the firts steps, I don't need anything else than Arduino IDE + Arduino plugin to connect ESP32 board to Homeseer ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michelob View Post
                            Wow, I'm a bit lost here

Need to read some articles on the web I think

Anyway, am I right if I say that, at least for the first steps, I don't need anything else than Arduino IDE + Arduino plugin to connect ESP32 board to Homeseer ?
                            Yep, that is all you should need and a link to the Board definition(https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json) I think this thread went a little off-topic.
                            I have ordered some ESP23 boards to look at testing with the plugin and adding full support in HS4.

Greig.
                            Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                            X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                            Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                            Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                            Scripts =
                            Various

Comment

Great, thanks Greig.

No problem about the off topic, as those messages has given to me interesting inputs (for the future).

Michel

Comment

Working...
                              X